Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 3.3L. US vs Euro spec. differences.

I am searching for a good tread or expert statement on the real differences between a Euro spec and US spec. early 3.3L 930. (speciffically the 1978) this to convert a US car to Euro spec.

What i have found is:
The main lights
rear bumper overriders
exhaust (headers to bump from 265 to 300 Hp.)
Imperial to metric speedo.
( and some other text on the knobs and butons)

Are there any other differences?
Something on ride height mabye?

thx.
To be 930 owner.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Are you primarily interested in what you need to change to make the car legal in your country, restore the power, or make it look like it was a Euro car?

The US used sealed beam headlights because H4's weren't approved by the DOT until 1991, despite millions of them having been used since the 70's elsewhere. (Ha!)

You can fit 7" H4 E-code Cibie or Hella reflectors in place of the sealed beam units, or convert to the Bosch buckets (more expensive, probably not much - if any - difference in light output).

You'll need to change out the rear US lenses for Euro ones (my US car already had them fitted), you might need to disable the US marker lights at the corners, and you may need to wire/fit parking/city lights if they're required where you are.

The bumperettes are different, as you note, but only because the US impact requirements were stricter in those years than they were in Europe - as were there emissions.

I cannot see that having US spec rubber would be a problem, legally, just looks different/uglier.

If you wish to convert so you cannot tell it was a US car, you'll need the rubber blanking plugs that go where the front marker lights are on the US cars.

Legend has it that US cars have bumper shocks and RoW cars have the lighter crush tubes - but many people reported crush tubes in a US car, and many people have found RoW cars with bumper shocks, soooo.....

The US cars may have different symbols on the switch gear (apparently a requirement for federalized "grey market" cars brought over from Europe), will have a MPH speedo instead of KPH, and the early speedos may or may not have both on the scale (my '77 speedo has only MPH, my (Euro) 82(?) SC & '86 Carerra speedos have both).

Engine-wise, there's very few differences between 78-79 US and RoW cars, the headers and CIS are identical in those years, it's the 86-89 US cars that are different.

There may be a cat on a US car that year, I think that's why the US car has less power. The US cars will certainly have an air pump, no idea if a RoW car for that year would (probably, I'd guess). The CA cars have quite different smog equipment, distributor and ignition timing.

As far as ride height goes, the story on the 944 board was that the US introduced a requirement as to the minimum height of the rear lights (or reflectors, I forget), Porsche looked at the problem and simply adjusted the rear ride height up 1.5" or so until the lights measured within the new spec... So the US 944's look "jacked-up" at the back in comparison with RoW ones.

Ride height is a pretty easy adjustment, although you may need to adjust toe as well.

HTH.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You'll have to change the fuel head too. Euro cars run in the low 5's 0-60 US cars are around 6 seconds.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thx for extensive reply.
I am primarily interested in visually and tec. converting a US car to Euro spec. Making the car legal is no problem.
Visual conversion is most important but also converting the engine to original Euro. spec 3.3L is planned. (well i do not have a car yett but i am searching the market every day for a 1978 3.3L original Turbo.

Regards
Eivin
Old 07-12-2007, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by spuggy
Engine-wise, there's very few differences between 78-79 US and RoW cars, the headers and CIS are identical in those years, it's the 86-89 US cars that are different.
It my understanding that the fuel head, headers and ignition curves/distributor are different for '78 & '79 US vs. RoW.

Actually, I am positive the headers/H/E are different for '78&9. I believe they went to the same exhaust layout for the later '86-'89.

I've always heard that 90% of the power difference between US and RoW comes from the exhaust - at least for the '78-9 cars.

Also, my US car had no cat (has fed. exemption sticker) and I don't believe it came with an air pump.

- Skip
Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Skip is correct ! My 79 has thermo reactors which required a more restrictive pipe layout for their use and air injection in the exhaust system. This make for higher engine temperatures as the reactors sit just beneath the cylinder heads. So both in terms of performance and heat reduction, a change to the euro exhaust is a good move if you don't want to keep your 930 stock.
Rick
Old 07-12-2007, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by skipdup
It my understanding that the fuel head, headers and ignition curves/distributor are different for '78 & '79 US vs. RoW.

Actually, I am positive the headers/H/E are different for '78&9. I believe they went to the same exhaust layout for the later '86-'89.
- Skip
Yeh, you're right Skip/Rick, my bad - I got that completely bass-ackwards, sorry. Here's pics of both:

930 Euro heat exchanger

However, I still believe the US cars had the same fuel head for 78-79:

Euro Fuel Head
Old 07-12-2007, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: