Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
"I am the liquor..."

Borla XR-1 install pictures

I've gotten many requests to post pictures of my "custom" (LOL) Borla XR-1 install with the bumper on. I didn't want to hi-jack the RarlyL8 and M&K thread so I thought I'd just start a new one. Having come from a Fabspeed zork, this has been a nice change for me...it's a very deep sound and yet some what mellow. Also very light weight. I did this before I realized that RarlyL8 and M&K were working on something. I have a feeling their's probably sounds a tad more raspy and might have been more to my liking, but this has served me well and also allowed me to have the wastegate pipe exit at the rear. I still use my zork every now and then, so it's been the best of both worlds...very versatile

As you can see, the wastegate pipe needs to be bent upwards slightly. This "system" was originally created when I had B&B headers. The wastegate exhaust pipe was custom bent for the B&Bs. I currently have OBX and I think their wastegate plumping is in a slightly different place...thus my alignment is off. The shop has agreed to fix it...I just need to bring it in.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-10-2007, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

I'll also add, that I like the different diameter pipe sizes between the Borla exit and the wastegate exit. It has a very "purpose built" look to it. No fancy tips...no goofy chrome...it is what it is! People ask all the time, what's that skinny pipe for!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-10-2007, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You really need to stop what you are doing and take some time to clean that car up...
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 07-10-2007, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally posted by briankeithsmith
You really need to stop what you are doing and take some time to clean that car up...
Right after I do the garage floor...oil anyone?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Just to clarify what's going on:
Old 07-10-2007, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sandman,

Which Borla muffler are you using?

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2007, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

It's the round XR-1, inlet and outlet on the one I purchased are 3":
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BOR%2D40085&N=700+400310+115&autoview=sku
There is also a 3.5" inlet and outlet available. To be honest I can't remember if the diameters refer to outside or inside diameter with Borla products. The shop that did my work cut the Borla end pipes off anyway and re-welded their own.

Last edited by sand_man; 07-11-2007 at 04:56 AM..
Old 07-11-2007, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Sandman,
Sound-wise (volume & raspiness), how does it compare to the zork/straight pipe?

Power/response-wise, are there any difference? Did you notice any power drop, longer to boost, etc.?

thanks.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally posted by hobieboy
Sandman,
Sound-wise (volume & raspiness), how does it compare to the zork/straight pipe?

Power/response-wise, are there any difference? Did you notice any power drop, longer to boost, etc.?

thanks.
It's much quieter than the zork. But in a way, it's hard to guage because it exits out the passenger side, so it's further away. It sounds hands down better then my B&B single did. I set off just as many car alarms in my company parking garage as I did with the zork. It does have a very deep sound, not really throaty/raspy until I'm past the 4,000 RPM mark. The muffler goes a loong way in absorbing the backfiring/popping/burbling sounds that a totally de-smogged CIS engine makes.

If I find some time, I'll use the video function on my digital camera and take a short clip.

As for performance: I have no data to support this area. This muffler certainly makes me feel that everything is much smoother and more polished and refined. For the first time I was able to hear and feel just how silky my new engine really is (the zork had been on since I fired it up).

If this were a track car or even a weekend gig, no doubt, the zork would be the end all for me. But there were times when I didn't want to attract any attention to myself, this unit offers the stealth that I was looking for.

I will say that the sound has improved since I first installed it. I think the packing needed some time to settle, so it has in fact gotten louder.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Not my car and an EXTREMELY insane engine build, but here is a sound clip of a Borla XR-1. Mine does indeed sound a lot like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB-Tuw_3dtA
Old 07-13-2007, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

That sure looks like dknebes' 930, right year, color, essa tech intercooler and most importantly hp figures!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally posted by 89turbocabmike
That sure looks like dknebes' 930, right year, color, essa tech intercooler and most importantly hp figures!
Indeed it is!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

***UPDATE - zork is back on

Well just for *****z and giggles, I put the zork back on this morning, before work. Spool is definitely better with an open pipe!!! Maybe my arse dyno is connected to my ear dyno and that glorious whistling sound of a turbo spooling up, has affected my judgment. Much of this sound is indeed muffled by the Borla.

I wish I had a dyno in my garage - would make an excellent Father's Day Gift! At any rate, the zork is a 1,000 times louder than the Borla (figuratively speaking). It's a tough call. All about compromise I suppose. If I were taking it to the track: zork hands down. Driving around town: the Borla is very smooth sounding, but I think at the cost of some performance - just a tad.

I might have to look into the RarlyL8/M&K unit...especially if a passenger side exit model is released.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Passenger's side model will come. I've had too many inquiries to not do it. Stay tuned .....
Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Re: ***UPDATE - zork is back on

Quote:
Originally posted by sand_man
Well just for *****z and giggles, I put the zork back on this morning, before work. Spool is definitely better with an open pipe!!! Maybe my arse dyno is connected to my ear dyno and that glorious whistling sound of a turbo spooling up, has affected my judgment. Much of this sound is indeed muffled by the Borla.

I wish I had a dyno in my garage - would make an excellent Father's Day Gift! At any rate, the zork is a 1,000 times louder than the Borla (figuratively speaking). It's a tough call. All about compromise I suppose. If I were taking it to the track: zork hands down. Driving around town: the Borla is very smooth sounding, but I think at the cost of some performance - just a tad.

I might have to look into the RarlyL8/M&K unit...especially if a passenger side exit model is released.
Did the co-workers have to start up the muffler fund again?
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 07-20-2007, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

Re: Re: ***UPDATE - zork is back on

Quote:
Originally posted by AngM018
Did the co-workers have to start up the muffler fund again?
Tell me about it...all those stares have returned. All I can say is that in a corporate parking garage, the zork is not appreciated!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Sand_man - Now that you have had these OBX headers for a little while what do you think about them? I've been looking at headers lately and I'm just curious if they are worth it. The price is good that's for sure.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

No leaks! They are holding up just fine. There were some concerns on the Rennlist boards about the exhaust port flange holes (where the exhaust studs fit) being drilled too large and that this would cause leaks. As you most of you know, my car is driven daily, and I'm still showing no signs of leaks in the hot NC climate. I should also point out that I didn't take any measurements of the holes before I installed this, so I can't really confirm. The install really did go off without a hitch.

Though they too, might be manufactured by a Chinese firm (maybe the same one), I think the GSF (Going Super Fast) headers might have better quality control. Although I'm not sure if the same T321 stainless material is used. Albert probably inspects his stuff before it's shipped. GSF is also a little more flexible in piecing together a nice "kit" if you've never had after-market headers (drip tank, oil lines, etc.). At any rate, I'm happy with my purchase. Time will continue to tell...
Old 08-01-2007, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Thanks for the update! Gives me more to think about....
Old 08-01-2007, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: