Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stainless Hardware for Turbo & Muffler?

Since I'm cleaning up a few leaks, replacing a few hoses and various gaskets including the muffler gaskets...

I wondered if anyone had used Stainless Steel nuts and bolts to mount the turbo to its manifold, and like wise used stainless for the exhaust studs on the turbo ...and nuts for the muffler.

Since these see moisture, and are subjected to the brutal heat that these cars put out...as evidenced by how cruddy they are when you go in for removal.. thought maybe the stainless would be better over the long haul.

Any thoughts?
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

While stainless doesn't rust, it does gall when subjected to exhaust heat, and pretty badly. I've used stainless hardware, and while you can remove it, it isn't ideal for this application, and can almost never be reinstalled. Auto suppliers sell exhaust specific nuts (copper, iirc) that are better for this application.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'll second what Greg wrote. Stainless is great for boats, not so good where strength is required and it galls easily. If you could get some 410 or 422 SS bolts they would work, but they'd be have to be custom made.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I use standard grade steel nuts and anti-seize on my exhaust because it is removed often. The nuts need to resist rounding off in my application. They are thrown out after 2-3 removals.
For the typical installation I sell copper nuts.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: