Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
'89 930

Rarly, I think Les is thinking the same thing I am. I think he meant the fact that the rear licence plate does not have a light(s). I am trying to do a similar upgrade on the rear bumper and was wondering if the lights are required or if anyone has done them and made them look good on the smoother style bumper, like yours, where there is only a slight depression for the tag. Thanks/Tony

Last edited by 1topcat; 04-21-2008 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: clarify
Old 04-21-2008, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
My rear plate does have lights. I mounted a stock light above the plate and used the stock wiring.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

I put two water proof connectors on my tag lits wires and plan to use them on my 964 type three piece bumper. Bman did you fit any kind of bar from one shock to the other? Some people just bolt them right to the car and don't put the bar behind the bumper.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911rudy View Post
I put two water proof connectors on my tag lits wires and plan to use them on my 964 type three piece bumper. Bman did you fit any kind of bar from one shock to the other? Some people just bolt them right to the car and don't put the bar behind the bumper.
No... I know I'm taking a chance but I sure hope nothing happens Hell I'm not even going to hook up tag lights
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 04-22-2008, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Topcat, it was a pleasure meeting you today....can't wait to see your 930....sounds like Imagine Auto is building another beast....
Old 04-26-2008, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
'89 930

Likewise Brodie,

Hope you post a lot during your backdate project. I will keep posting the many projects I am in process on as I get them finished. /Tony
Old 04-28-2008, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

I second Craig's comments regarding rear end protection. **** happens. You can be as careful as you want until you or someone else makes a mistake. None of us are perfect. My stock bumpers saved my ass this weekend at Road America where I made a mistake while passing through the kink.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

So I'm curious - and I apologize up front if someone has already posted it - but on a factory 964 Turbo, what did Porsche have lurking under the front and rear bumper "covers"?
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1topcat View Post
Likewise Brodie,

Hope you post a lot during your backdate project. I will keep posting the many projects I am in process on as I get them finished. /Tony
I'll update it from time to time...

Death of a Widebody....
Old 04-29-2008, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Heat

Any advice about heat shields when using a FG bumper? My new DE tool (GaryR's ex Pumpkin) has the FG bumpers and gets REALLY HOT above the turbo, so much so that the reflector is warping!

Bob
Old 05-01-2008, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
I can't tell you exactly what is under the bumpers, but I'll try to take a peek under the back one, the front would be hard to look at. Too bad Wayne doesn't still have the parts diagrams....

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Sand_man

There are very sturdy curved aluminum channel beams on both ends with bumper shocks similiar to the earlier USA bumpers. The tow hooks screw into these beams on both ends.

I believe the part numbers are the same for the 964 and 965 beams.

The rear beam can be fitted to an earlier (SC) style body with little trouble. I used the Euro collapsible bumper mounts. The front is different and required engineering a mount that I'm not that proud of (to little trial and too much error).

You quickly become aware of the chassis differences between the SC and the 964/965.

Jim
Old 05-02-2008, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

'89 930

jayhawk,

you may want to look over at betterbodies site. Look under the installation tab and you will see some sketches of the reinforcement and heat shields for the fg bumper applications. This will give you some concepts that you can employ. Good Luck and post some pictures if you go forward with any improvements. /Tony
Old 05-04-2008, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmcc View Post
Sand_man

There are very sturdy curved aluminum channel beams on both ends with bumper shocks similiar to the earlier USA bumpers. The tow hooks screw into these beams on both ends.

I believe the part numbers are the same for the 964 and 965 beams.

The rear beam can be fitted to an earlier (SC) style body with little trouble. I used the Euro collapsible bumper mounts. The front is different and required engineering a mount that I'm not that proud of (to little trial and too much error).

You quickly become aware of the chassis differences between the SC and the 964/965.

Jim
Thanks, Jim!!!!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-04-2008, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911rudy View Post
My friend and I both run Porsches with fiberglass bumpers, and for license plate lights we both use license plate bolts with built in led lights, which hook straight up to the regular license-light connector wires behind the bumper.

There are a million of them on the internet. Lite n boltz is one brand if I remember correctly.

It is a easy way to hook up lights on your rear fiberglass bumper and a super clean install.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Tony;
Thanks, I have been off line for a while. I'll check them out. I found the part number for the original 930 "heat protector" and have the local dealer trying to get me one. I'll probbaly have to fab a bracket as the original looks like is mounted to the bumper.

I also ordered some heat shield from Summit Racing that has an adhesive back that I will put on the inside of the FG bumper as well.

I'll take some pics and post when I do it.

DDD GREAT idea about the neon plate bolts!

Bob
Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Tony;
Thanks, I have been off line for a while. I'll check them out. I found the part number for the original 930 "heat protector" and have the local dealer trying to get me one. I'll probbaly have to fab a bracket as the original looks like is mounted to the bumper.

I also ordered some heat shield from Summit Racing that has an adhesive back that I will put on the inside of the FG bumper as well.

I'll take some pics and post when I do it.

DDD GREAT idea about the neon plate bolts!

Bob
I am afraid my friend has to get the credit for the license plate bolts idea.

But I did get some of that heatshielding from Summit Racing. It certainly seems to apply easily and all but I was pissed that I paid $50 for what appears to be aluminum foil on cardboard with a glue backing... Oh well. It works.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: