Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Lightbulb How hard and expensive would it be to upgrade 74-89 bumpers to 90s style?

I actually like the vintage vibe of the 80s cars, but it would be a cool way to make the car instantly look fresh and different!

I would have to change the wheels as well.

How much would a set of bumpers and lenses cost and what's the effort level to do a swap?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have fiberglass C2 bumpers that the previous owner installed. The rear is super easy, I haven't removed the front but I can't imagine it would be too hard.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 125shifter
I have fiberglass C2 bumpers that the previous owner installed. The rear is super easy, I haven't removed the front but I can't imagine it would be too hard.
Could you please post some pictures? And do you know what kit they are? Thanks
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 07-19-2007, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This is probably off topic but you can make your car look really agressive just by using the 74 style rear IROC RSR bumper and also one of several different front bumper caps that are all based on the RSR style. Obviously you are talking about going 90's, just thought I'd mention you can also get some race car appearances from early RSR bumpers. And they don't look dated.

The best fiberglass in the industry is Gettydesign.com. They supply all the other guys like MA SHAW and TRE motorsports. Mike Shaw works out of his house next door to Mark at Getty. Getty parts will fit the best and be the best quality whether you buy them from Getty or any of his resellers. Mike Shaw has a lot of 90's stuff at mashaw.com or .biz or .net. Each site is a little different. He does get some products from elsewhere than Getty but he doesn't sit there and make them like he claims. I was told this by both the guy from Getty and the guy from TRE motorsports.

Gt-racing.com has the lightest parts in the industry, and are more for racing, but he has a couple of RSR style bumpers that differ from the rest of the industry. Haven't looked at his 90's stuff, because it isn't my style.

Rennspd.com has the cheapest price and pretty good quality, maybe not as good as Getty. They are a great value though.

Avoid Better Bodies Motorsports. Don't even think about it. Their stuff is all sourced from different places and quality varies from awful to maybe average. I am sure somebody will jump in to defend them, but the fact is that Getty is really the company that leads this industry.

You can remove 50 pounds from each bumper if you strip off all the metal protective bars and stuff. The fiberglass bumpers weigh 10 or 12 pounds in the front and less out back. Every 66 pounds on one of these cars is a tenth of a second off your quarter mile time. But also improves handling and braking and gas mileage. If you use an aftermarket tail, you can save a lot more. Your spoiler and deck lid weighs about 38 pounds and there are several aftermarket tails with built in deck lids that are about 15-20 total.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Good info, thanks. I didn't even think about the weight issue. I'll have to search for a pic to see what you are talking about as far as the RSR .... off the top of my head I forget the details.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Me like track days

"You can remove 50 pounds from each bumper if you strip off all the metal protective bars and stuff."
-------------
You've got to be kidding.
Plus, I'd say the tradeoffs in impact protection ( I use the 930 on track) just aren't worth it.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig 930 RS
"You can remove 50 pounds from each bumper if you strip off all the metal protective bars and stuff."
-------------
You've got to be kidding.
Plus, I'd say the tradeoffs in impact protection ( I use the 930 on track) just aren't worth it.

I am repeating what I have been told by several sources, including a guy that just did it and weighed his parts. Weight savings up front is a little variable depending on whether you remove more stuff, a lot of people end up with nothing more than front turn signals, but that is a matter of preference. The bumper metal bars are close to 20 pounds, and the rear rubber bumpers are something like 15 pounds and the brackets and all the crash bars also weigh 15 pounds at least.

That is how they list the weight at Getty and GT racing, that is what people get at sites when the measure the bumpers and all the components.

If it ain't true than what is the weight of all the 5 mile per hour crash stuff and bumper stuff?

I will find some links to weight savings lists. Try rennlight.com for starters, and make sure to check out the weight loss dyno conversion chart. It is cool.

Here is a cool site listing weight of items on an early car.
http://www.early911sregistry.org/jCalzia.html#Calzia%20article,%20top

Go to GT racing and see what they list bumpers at. 50 pounds.

Anyhow, that is what I have heard.

As far as 5 mile per hour crash protection, yeah, it will be gone unless you leave the crash bars, which you can do as well.

Last edited by DDDD; 07-21-2007 at 07:23 PM..
Old 07-21-2007, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Just today, I went to hang out while my friends stripped all the bumper parts off a '75 targa that needs restoration. There is a lot of metal under those bumpers and a lot of stuff to remove, and none of it looks lightweight.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I can tell you exactly how much weight you save by replacing the bumpers on a stock '78SC with fiberglass -- over 100 pounds. And in the right places no less!

I have NO bars, NO shocks, No nothing. The F/G bumpers are bolted directly to the body. I drive this car like I would a motorcycle. They don't have a bumper so I don't need one either.

See the bumper to the right? That's it. Been that way for 10 years!

Old 07-21-2007, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Here are some vintage RSR based styles.

The straight up standard look:

The RSR look with bottom splitter for more downforce:

Something a little bit different from GT racing, with an inch front splitter lip along the bottom:

Here is a sort of computer generated mock up of my car with the GT racing bumper, probably not very accurate:

Before:

After:

And with turn signals installed in the brake ducts:

This is the standard RSR or IROC rear bumper look:

Sideview of Getty RSR 930:

As you can see, I have a desktop folder full of this stuff.....

Anyway, if you like the 90's look there is just as much of those parts around from the same companies I mentioned earlier. Have fun with it.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Me like track days

Eh good luck if you get tapped on the street, to each his own -
Old 07-21-2007, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
I can tell you exactly how much weight you save by replacing the bumpers on a stock '78SC with fiberglass -- over 100 pounds. And in the right places no less!

I have NO bars, NO shocks, No nothing. The F/G bumpers are bolted directly to the body. I drive this car like I would a motorcycle. They don't have a bumper so I don't need one either.

Do you have pictures with the bumper installed? Front & rear Thanks
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 07-22-2007, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8

I bet it makes it much easier to access the turbo and pipe as well
Old 07-22-2007, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

My theory, although perhaps a bad one, is that I won't be hitting anybody with the front of my car, and if I get hit from behind at more than 5 miles per hour it will be the fault of the person behind me and I will make sure that my frame is checked because that is what really hurts a unibody car.

Yeah, if you park on city streets a lot, you may want to keep the crash bumpers, but on the other hand, good quality fiberglass will sometimes flex to absorb the impact of a gentle nudge when somebody hits you while parking behind you.

It is a calulated risk to remove that 5 mile per hour margin of safety, which will probably take the edge off any hit of less than 15-20 miles per hour....
Old 07-22-2007, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
It is a calculated risk not having protection at the rear of my car. The engine is fully exposed. In my case the engine is worth far more money than the rest of the car. That is where the motorcycle mentality kicks in. I am a MUCH more aware driver due to having a vulnerable rear end (that didn't sound so good). Ha!

Old 07-22-2007, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Me like track days

Very true, Brian.

With this whole 930 thing "you pays your money and you takes your chances"

Hell, I drive 140 at the track I guess that is chancy too, eh? ;-)
Old 07-22-2007, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yeh, I don't see an aluminum bumper doing you much good at 140 .......

I forgot to mension I gutted the doors as well. No crash bars. Motorcycles don't have doors either.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Holy cow....gutting the doors is a little hardcore for me.

Anyway, Maxx, the vintage bumpers pretty much all are designed for housing a front oil cooler to give you maximum cooling.

The 90's bumpers tend not to have room for a front cooler.

If you drive your car hard on some of the hotter days of summer you can get a sense of whether you might want a front cooler for extra protection. I like mine because it is hot in Virginia.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by DDDD
Holy cow....gutting the doors is a little hardcore for me.

Anyway, Maxx, the vintage bumpers pretty much all are designed for housing a front oil cooler to give you maximum cooling.

The 90's bumpers tend not to have room for a front cooler.

If you drive your car hard on some of the hotter days of summer you can get a sense of whether you might want a front cooler for extra protection. I like mine because it is hot in Virginia.
Yeah, I'm thinking of keeping the car looking factory stock. Some of the pics above look great, but I like what Porsche did to update the look in the early 90s (964)? If I can find some glas versions like that, I would be happy. Again too, the big key that I didn't first think of is losing 50 lbs per bumper..... I don't know how much that changes my power to weight ratio, but gaining fresh looks and performance at the same time, it's a win-win all the way around.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Let's hope third time's a charm for uploading pictures to Pelican (what's up with the Pelican server the last few weeks?):

Old 07-23-2007, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: