Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Powerhaus headers for 930 ?

Does anyone have experience with them? And what's your take on performance & reliability?

My older set of GHL is cracking again @ the WG/collector joint and I'm just tired of another temp repair.

B&B seems to have the same design, so I'm thinking of shying away from both. I am really evaluating my options and would love to hear about alternatives.

thanks!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
How long did your GHL's last?
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 07-23-2007 at 01:11 PM..
Old 07-23-2007, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a set of powerhaus w/heat that I had on for about 2 yrs and 35K miles of daily driving and just a couple mild track days. They have numerous small cracks. I've still got them as I always entertained using them as templates for a custom set, so if you want some pics. The construction is virtually identical to the B&B's I'm currently running, but have a small metal powerhaus tag tack welded to the exchangers.
So far the B&B's are fine with 30K and counting.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just sent my GHL's off a week or so ago.

I had had them 34 months.

The collector on the 1/2/3 side was cracked 3/4 of the way across, on top and bottom. So, GHL welded them back up, and they are on the way back.

I don't really like the fact that they are re-welded, so I bought some of the GSF headers, simply to give them a whirl...

Brian
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 07-23-2007, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i AM TELLING YOU GUYS THE SSI 930 SETUP IS THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK NO QUESTION ABOUT Opps sorry for the caps All 321 and 347 and will be a bolt on solution is a few weeks

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 07-23-2007, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ben,
From my research, the SSI is much longer than the other designs. For turbos, I thought the shorter the overall length the better?

89turbocabmike, it sounds like B&B is a better choice than PowerHaus then?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I've got Powerhaus headers w/heat on my 930 and have had no problems. They were installed by the original owner in the mid to late 80's...

I'm presently cleaning up some leaks etc..have looked over the headers, and I see no sign of cracking.

I had B&B on a previous 930 and experienced the cracks around the wg joint and at one of the colloectors.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
I trust what you say Ben....and I'm waiting patiently here for your innovative design to grace my 930....I'm really looking forward to seeing the whole thing as a complete unit. Chuck
Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
You may have seen this picture of the 930 SSI system installed.
For a street application the primary length is not so much an issue. The addition of GOOD cabin heating and excellent structural materials more than makes up for any tubing length compromises.

Metallurgy is critical in the turbo application. As Ben stated, SSI uses 321 and 347 stainless in these systems. I don't believe anyone else in the industry uses 347 and many use 304. NONE have good heat. The materials used have to withstand everything from a stock rich-running untuned CIS engine to a 600HP EFI monster. I have seen the headers on engines that are not in proper tune run cherry red. Lesser grades of stainless won't take that for long. My suspicion is that the folks that get a lot of miles out of the B&Bs have engines that are in a good state of tune. The folks who see cracking in the same style B&Bs after a year may have tuning issues.

Sorry to hi-jack your Powerhaus thread but I thought this to be good general information for those looking for exhaust alternatives when you need heat.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Sorry to hi-jack your Powerhaus thread but I thought this to be good general information for those looking for exhaust alternatives when you need heat.
No worries... I did find out that Powerhaus is selling B&B meaning they are the same headers. So, I don't think there's any quality/performance difference

Back to the longer primaries - I thought longer ones mean that it will take longer to build boost since it takes longer to fill those?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Lurkasaurus

My B&B's are 12 years old, have never cracked, and have enough heat to make me sweat in sub-zero temperatures. I've heard some stories about B&B but mine have been fantastic. While I don't track my car, it does alot of high-speed highway driving where it rarely goes below 0.6bar - for 2 hours. Maybe the lack of thermal cycling is one reason they have lasted so long - that and I've always kept the CIS pressures in spec.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
On boost for 2hours? Wow! I guess you would have good heat!
Your A/F ratios must be in good shape for headers to last that long. The cooling system also must be pretty good. Where on earth can you drive for 2 hrs full out?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobieboy View Post
No worries... I did find out that Powerhaus is selling B&B meaning they are the same headers. So, I don't think there's any quality/performance difference
Sorry I missed your previous post hobie, It figures they're the same as they are identical except for the tacked on tag. Mine are just getting to the same mileage that the earlier ones cracked so we'll see. BTW, I've always had the factory turbo support installed with my K27-7006.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Lurkasaurus

Nah, it gets good heat even if I dawdle along. Come to Northwestern Canada if you want to go fast - safely too. For instance, HWY 5's first corner is called the 39mile corner 'cause it's dead straight for 39 miles. HWY 12 has the 13mile corner, etc.. and it's pretty much deserted. The sucky part is the lack of twisties. Anyway, it's just another data point on 930 headers.

Last edited by turbocarrera; 08-07-2007 at 09:12 AM..
Old 08-07-2007, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I'm at work now but I'll check to see if mine are marked. I had my engine done by PH 10 years ago and have their headers. First class back then. And no cracks in 10 years. On the other hand one of their FU's cost me some major bucks years later.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post
I'm at work now but I'll check to see if mine are marked. I had my engine done by PH 10 years ago and have their headers. First class back then. And no cracks in 10 years.
Agree with Les... mine are at least 10 years old as well, their was a difference and back then B&B and PowerHaus headers were definitely not the same product.

P-
RGruppe #180
Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

so far, i can only find ghl or b&b headers w/ heat. for a $1,000 less schnell offers headers w/o heat. am i missing any other manufacturer that makes headers w/ heat. im running kokeln i/c and kokeln ceramic ball bearing turbo w/ 964 cams....zork is en route...help, 930chef
Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

930Chef...

I like the GHL units.. I have a spare set from another car that were made by Kenny McNeil.. I've been told they were prototypes for the GHLs... they seemed to have performed well and don't have any issues.

Recently sold a set of GHLs from a friends car.. same thing, no issues with quality or performance.

Think Ben from MK Exhaust favors the SSI units.... guess most any of these is better than stock!

P-
RGruppe #180
Old 08-10-2007, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Pardon my ignorance guys, but what exactly is a zork tube ? What does it look like ? And does it offer any performance advantages?

Thanks Jerry S

TURBO = Free Power
Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Zork tubes are a short straight pipe that replaces the muffler. Optimum power and sound volume.

Here are a few pictures:

934 Style WG/Zork - If I make them will they come?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: