Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think of your new Zork
Wow... wouldn't have it any other way 12 66.67%
Wow... good thing I only use this on the track 5 27.78%
Wow... too loud no matter how I use the car 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The GT3 style muffler and Zork is coming .......
I have fiberglass valances as well.

Cool, I can't wait to check the twin Zork out. Is the valance going to be notched for the twin pipes?

Yeah, I saw the GT3 muffler for the 911.... looks nice.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Me like track days

Don't even use a valence - I like the look of the goods from behind, plus it may keep things a bit cooler as well -
Old 08-06-2007, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
A Zork absolutely transforms a 930.
Big sound, less heated crap hanging in the back, even less weight, a totally interactive car with lots of aural feedback for sure!

Never a muffler again -

Craig,
Is that one of Rarly8's zorks?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
That looks like a Fabspeed Zork with the adjustable band clamp.

The GT3 style products I'm working on will likely not need a valance modification to fit. More folks can be served that way, it keeps the cost down, and I have an idea on how to make it look really good.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I'm curious to know how a straight pipe that follows the current path of my muffler out the driver's side would sound. Basically, the RarlyL8 setup with the same pipe length minus the muffler.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Me like track days

It is. It fit fine with a valence, no clearance problems with any driveways or any such thing.
I like the fact that it is adjustable, plus it's quite nicely made. But much too expensive -
Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
I'm curious to know how a straight pipe that follows the current path of my muffler out the driver's side would sound. Basically, the RarlyL8 setup with the same pipe length minus the muffler.
Dewolf ran that set up and said it was really loud. He added back a muffler.

I don't see why it would be louder than a zork, but Dewolf said it was pretty darn loud.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Mark,
I would think it would sound KILLER!..
Lets do it man.. I am going to buy one of Rarly8's zorks... here very SOON!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
Dewolf ran that set up and said it was really loud. He added back a muffler.

I don't see why it would be louder than a zork, but Dewolf said it was pretty darn loud.
You're right, sounded like a drag Harley at all stages of throttle. Don't know why. Maybe had something to do with resonance?.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewolf View Post
You're right, sounded like a drag Harley at all stages of throttle. Don't know why. Maybe had something to do with resonance?.
Odd. I wonder if it acted as a megaphone.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-07-2007, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Odd. I wonder if it acted as a megaphone.
Not sure, but when I went to pick it up the guy's at the exhaust place were pissing themselves laughing saying, " are sure about this", not having heard it I said, "yeh". They did say it sounded wild. As soon as they started it I thought, oh *****, this is really loud.
One of the guy's said it might be quieter on throttle, but I gotta say it was'nt. So I asked them to put a muffler with half the guts ripped out in.
I heard one recently at a track event with a zork at it didn't sound anywhere near as loud on wot.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I've decided not to vote as I don't wish to scew the results. I'll just add my comments and leave it at that.

I removed the zork and probably won't be putting it back on, unless I need a temporary fix while I'm experimenting with a muffler.

For my purposes - daily driver - it is too loud. It draws too much attention. Non-Porsche people have actually asked me if my car was "broken". At low RPMS, most people, even "car guys" think it's he most obnoxious thing they've ever heard! The zork sounds amazing, but every time I put it on, I can live with it for about two weeks, and then the novelty wears off. I just don't have enough opportunity to drive the car at extended periods of mid/higher RPMs, where the turbo finally begins to act as a muffler.

My Borla XR-1 is back on, and I'm extremely happy with it.

So far, the best sounding exhaust that I've ever heard on one of these cars is the original B&B dual. You can't imagine how hard that is for me to admit! My neighbor has what must be one of the first B&B production runs on his '84. Back when maybe Billy gave a damn. it even looks different than the current offerings. It must have over 100,000 miles on it and probably has no packing left in it. It is the most glorious sound! Plenty loud, lot's of whistling, some backfiring, some burbling/gurgling, but not over the top, like the zork can be. I'm trying my best to talk him out of it!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-07-2007, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I know what you mean sand_man around town. That is what has led me to go back to a muffler solution for daily use. However I am really looking forward to getting a chance to take it out at a big track like Road America with the Zork re-installed. At high RPMs... there is nothing like the sound.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Im making mine with a v band clamp so I can swap muffler and zork quickly without having to worry about replacing flange gaskets.

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchappy View Post
Im making mine with a v band clamp so I can swap muffler and zork quickly without having to worry about replacing flange gaskets.
That's how mine is.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-07-2007, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The GT3 style muffler and Zork is coming .......
I have fiberglass valances as well.
Hey Rarly is this really gonna happen for the Turbo crowd...the GT3 style? That's what I really want. How close is this to being a reality? That's my favorite look! Two tips, close togther, exiting in the center. Please keep us posted.

Just to be clear, like this:
Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes it is going to happen; there are a couple of ways I can go about it. One is like the yellow car pictured with the modified valance, the other going under the valance like a typical zork.
The feedback I am getting is that folks do not want to cut up or replace the stock valance.
What is your preference?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

That's tough to say. My lower valence is in terrible shape; it's bent, chipped, and now has a cutout for my Borla on the passenger side. For a long time, I ran with no lower valence (while I had the zork on) and that look didn't bother me at all.

If we're talking about the GT3 style, ideally, I'd like to have a new valence with a center cut for the pipes and no openings on the sides. This sort of gives a more factory prepared presentation.

FWIW, a new valence from your shop is on my list!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Even if I had an unmolested lower valence, there'd still be a cutout on the driver side and I think it would look funny not to have a pipe there. I also think it would look odd to have two pipes in the center (ala GT3) with a wastegate pipe filling the driver side hole.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Those were my thoughts when I began working on the concept.
Right now I am thinking of going under the valance and leaving the purchase of a new valance as an aesthetic option. More folks can be served that way.
Some don't want the added cost and hassle of painting a valance.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: