Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think of your new Zork
Wow... wouldn't have it any other way 12 66.67%
Wow... good thing I only use this on the track 5 27.78%
Wow... too loud no matter how I use the car 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Those were my thoughts when I began working on the concept.
Right now I am thinking of going under the valance and leaving the purchase of a new valance as an aesthetic option. More folks can be served that way.
Some don't want the added cost and hassle of painting a valance.

So far, I like that option since that is exactly the way my car looks (except mine has the driver side cutout). Is the zork really alright for street use? I don't care about the noise but is it so loud that the popo will give me a ticket?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-07-2007, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
That truely is an impossible question to answer.
The police will tolerate noise out of a Harley but are less inclined to do so from a car. Once you are on the open road it is OK, not so good if you have close neighbors.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
The police will tolerate noise out of a Harley but are less inclined to do so from a car. Once you are on the open road it is OK, not so good if you have close neighbors.
Damn, I guess I need to hear one in person. Problem is I don't know anyone who has one. I guess I'm S.O.L.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-07-2007, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Me like track days

What is the distance from the bottom of the tip to the ground on your car?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
That is something I never could figure out ..... why do Harley riders get away with that ridiculous noise volume, but if you have a hole in your truck muffler, you get a ticket for it?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Trucks with holes in their mufflers don't have as good a lobby as Harley riders.

The distance from the bottom of the Zork to the ground will vary widely because of tire hieght and ride hieght differences.

My Zork is designed to tuck up to the valance and has a 3"ID so I guess you can measure from the ground to your valance and subtract about 3.5".
Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

"I wuz the liquor..."

Quote:
Those were my thoughts when I began working on the concept.
Right now I am thinking of going under the valance and leaving the purchase of a new valance as an aesthetic option. More folks can be served that way.
Some don't want the added cost and hassle of painting a valance.
Understood. I'm flexible. Having gone through the rigors of prototyping and managing market compromise, myself, I understand your position. Come to think of it, if it were designed to fit under the valence (and had ample ground clearance), I guess I'd rock one of your new uncut valences and call it done!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

You just need to be careful with clearance. 3.5" is a lot to give up when you are trying to negotiate a steep incline. For instance I know for a fact that if I need to get my car on a flatbad at the track (ask me how I know) that I'll need to remember to pull the zork off. Not a big deal as it is easy to access under there, but something to keep in mind.

I agree that I don't want to bother thinking about painting a new valence, although placed so low many of us could do acceptable at home jobs.

My personal opinion is that aftermarket exaust products should be designed to provide for as close to the same clearance as the stock(ish) setups that we are all running given that most of us have lowered cars. Given the attractive price point that you are operating at, I think that most will either modify their own valences (as I have) or just pony up the other $100+ to get a new one.

Just my $.02! Continue the great work Brian!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
Damn, I guess I need to hear one in person. Problem is I don't know anyone who has one. I guess I'm S.O.L.
Mark,
I will be buying one in the next month... so once I get it you can swing up and check it out.. maybe we'll graba few beers as well. i'll let ya know once I get it on..i want it on before the Oct FORGLINE track event which is in the first week of Oct.

Later EM
Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Good point about loading track cars. That (track work) is what zorks are made for so I guess everyone removes them when loading ??? That has to be one hot mutha to try and remove after a 20 minute session on boost!
A few years back I had a '73 widebody with twin 5" supertraps out back. Those suckers scraped every driveway in town so I know what you mean about bad angles.
I'm still on the fence with the design. I'll take some more measurements and look at it with fresh eyes this weekend.
It's not easy to beat the other manufacturers pricing while using 321 stainless and USA labor rates but that is my continuing goal.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Me like track days

Data point:

Using the FabSPeed Zork with no valance results in no clearance issues in any situation
Old 08-08-2007, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

who is brian and how do i get one of his zork tubes...930chef
Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Mckenna View Post
Mark,
I will be buying one in the next month... so once I get it you can swing up and check it out.. maybe we'll graba few beers as well. i'll let ya know once I get it on..i want it on before the Oct FORGLINE track event which is in the first week of Oct.

Later EM
Erik???

--clutch-monkey
Old 08-08-2007, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930chef View Post
who is brian and how do i get one of his zork tubes...930chef
http://www.rarlyl8.com/

--clutch-monkey
Old 08-08-2007, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Me like track days

Do it, you won't regret it.
If you like the rawness of a 930, you will LOVE the sound of a Zork - it transforms the driving experience.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
Erik???

Yeah, I somehow have been locked out of my other account.. so I started this one it's my daughters name
Old 08-08-2007, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Lets DO IT! Mark..... life is SHORT!. lets piss some people off.. god knows they do it to me everyday
Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

are you the one that manufactures the zork tubes ? if you have a shop ph.# for your shop can i have it? also, im looking for headers with heater boxes...any recommendations? ive read b&b quality has dropped and ghl has crack issues. any other options? im running kokeln turbo & ic and 964 cams ...thanks kevin aka 930chef
Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Kevin,
I design and develop the 930 exhaust products under the name RarlyL8 Motorsports. M&K is the exclusive manufacturer for all of my products. Pelican Parts will be a distributor.
Right now Ben (M&K) and I are working on a complete exhaust system based on SSI heat exchangers. We should have the development work finished by the end of the month with any luck.
You can e-mail me at the address below or call me at (256)698-4992.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

I wonder would one of these fit a 930 with a little fab work and a new muffler?
http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

Muffled off boost and open zork style on boost. Even can be hooked up to a boost controller. Check it out.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: