Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think of your new Zork
Wow... wouldn't have it any other way 12 66.67%
Wow... good thing I only use this on the track 5 27.78%
Wow... too loud no matter how I use the car 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Zork Tube Melodies

So I received my new satin finished Zork from Brian on Friday and anxiously went into the shop on Sunday to install.

First off let me tell everyone that the craftsmanship is a work of art. Its a shame that this thing is jammed up under the car.

Got it installed fairly easily (although mine doesn't clear my lower valence) and fired it up in the shop. Sounded awesome!

Finished buttoning up a few things, swapped some brake pads and decided to take her for a spin to see what the it was like in action. Holy $hit is it loud! I had originally had a gutted borla which was far from subtle but this thing is way out there.

I am actually on the fence right now as to what I think. I think the actual sounds and tones are beyond comparison but the actual db volume is a bit higher than I would have liked (yeah I know... what did I expect with a straight pipe).

Curious to see what others are thinking as I am sure that there has been (or will be) a recent wave of installs curtousy of Brian's handy work.

Last edited by 930LDR; 07-23-2007 at 01:11 PM..
Old 07-23-2007, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The sound is definitely not for the faint of heart.
Why does it not clear your valance? Is your bumper adjusted unusually low? Can you adjust your bumper up enough to clear?
If adjusting won't work I can modify one to fit and swap you out.

We can also add a baffle to cut the noise a little, but noise-wise there is only so much that can be done with a short straight pipe.

Last edited by RarlyL8; 07-23-2007 at 02:05 PM..
Old 07-23-2007, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Brian -

I'll drop you an email... thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I love the angry zork, but I like my cars to be pretty wild.

I wouldn't have one of these pipes if I lived near a town center.

Personally, the zork makes me want to drive the car. It is very addictive. It adds a whole new layer of enjoyment and intensity to my drive.

I put it in neutral and roll by cops.....

I'm not looking for my Porsche to be like other cars, so I don't want it to sound like other cars either.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Can someone post some noise on youtube
Old 07-23-2007, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

some noise would be good. The only one I have heard is Sand_Man's and that was from 100 yards away. It still did make me turn and say what the hell was that, out loud (in a good way of course)
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 07-23-2007, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I should have taken some video last weekend but didn't. When I get back into town next weekend I'll take some and get it converted along with some track footage and get it posted.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cardsrule
I had to pull the car out yesterday to do some painting (taking forever)...took a small video for you guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ivh0TuoVM

The zork sounds good in the car, i am not sure if it's going to be too loud outside of the car yet, I don't want to be "that guy" when pulling up somewhere nice.
Past:79 930 EFI
Old 07-25-2007, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Of course you want to be that guy!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewolf View Post
http://www.fabspeed.com/videos/911T-930%20Zork%20Tube.wmv

gotta love that turbo whine
Old 07-25-2007, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The sound is amazing

The fit, finish and sound of Brian's Zork tube is amazing. I have a k27 hybrid turbo and the turbo spooling sounds are simply intoxicating.

I planned on having the Zork coated with Jet-Hot ceramic to cut down on heat soak in the rear of the car but when the Zork showed up early - on a SATURDAY morning no less! - well I yielded to the temptation and installed the Zork.

Now I'm almost glad my crappy B$$&$$B stainless muffler cracked because I found what was lost... the soul of my 930. The car now sounds as beautiful it looks.

thomas
Old 07-25-2007, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewolf View Post
Why not....?.......but please...just before hearing....just connect your computer on your HiFi and push the volume pot to the maximum....Yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeesssssss........SmileW avy...........haha......let the music play.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_LdsiqgG-A

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207116408000968&set=gm.1723624077 855805&type=3&theater
Old 07-26-2007, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 935TURBO View Post
Why not....?.......but please...just before hearing....just connect your computer on your HiFi and push the volume pot to the maximum....Yyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeesssssss........SmileW avy...........haha......let the music play.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_LdsiqgG-A
Yep seen that, sounds great. But we need a full throttle fly by to really get a handle on the sound.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Well after spending some more time with the zork installed I have finally cast my own vote above.

First off... upon further investigation, the fitment issue above isn't issue with the zork but rather an issue with a improvised turbo mounting adapter that has moved the placement of the turbo just enough to cause the issue. No big deal to fix. A dremel and a little time allowed me to notch out the lower valence just enough for the required clearance.

As for the sound... I took the car up the highway early yesterday morning and man does this thing howl on WOT! I got a couple of nice thumbs up and honks from some of my neighbors on the road (don't think my neighbors at home would have the same reaction though!). The car just roars. Sounds fantastic.

Around town it is definitely loud and I found my self short shifting to avoid some of the backfiring burbles on deceleration. I think if I lived far out in the burbs I would be perfectly fine with the volume, but in downtown Chicago it is just a little too 'hey check me out!'.

As for track duty... I spent some time talking with the local chapters that I drive and instruct with and it sounds like I will be fine db wise at certain tracks and with certain groups, but others have taken a fairly strict stance that DE club events require mufflers.

In the end I am chalking it up to a fun weekend of monkeying around with the car and am going to go back to a muffler solution for the city and some of my track events. I am going to most likely hold on to the zork and stick it on for those tracks that allow and see how the car likes it there.

I may just but my older borla back on but still have the itch for something new... maybe a fabspeed... maybe Brian's new passenger side exit with matching wastegate dump when it comes out.

I am still going to try and get some good video for you guys with the zork on before I switch it out so that you can get some better samples. My plan is to throw the camera in the car for some highway runs and then have someone at the shop shoot from outside for some drivebys. Hopefully I'll have that done and posted next weekend.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The sound is definitely not for the faint of heart.
Why does it not clear your valance? Is your bumper adjusted unusually low? Can you adjust your bumper up enough to clear?
If adjusting won't work I can modify one to fit and swap you out.

We can also add a baffle to cut the noise a little, but noise-wise there is only so much that can be done with a short straight pipe.

I have some ready and waiting to try

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
Reproduction 914-6 oil tanks, 1-5/8" 914-6 heat exchangers source call 2623647426 or email mbconsulting21 @gmail.com
Old 08-05-2007, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Me like track days

A Zork absolutely transforms a 930.
Big sound, less heated crap hanging in the back, even less weight, a totally interactive car with lots of aural feedback for sure!

Never a muffler again -
Old 08-05-2007, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Craig,

How do you rate it on the ears? Where have you been lately???..I need an IC got one for sale?

If not what do you think of a half bay blownsix design? or the Kokeln? I bought a K27HFS from Stephan!

Thanks

Bob
Old 08-05-2007, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Me like track days

I'd describe the Zork as this:

-Not much louder than a Cherry Bomb straight thru exhaust I had on before
-Easier on the turbo; nothing substantial hanging off it
-Wastegate is louder than the exhaust
-Idle is pretty loud
-Under cruise, noise not an issue at all
-Wife can hear me coming home about 2 blocks away
~~~~~~
I have a complete unused BS 965 IC setup for sale - I sourced all OE parts I could find to finish the job, including brass fittings I assembled myself.

Why not use it? Due to the G50 install, my engine is further back than stock and there is NO room for the BlownSix - no way. Big bummer.
Send me a note to: craigcarolann@comcast.net, the whole thing at cost + ship
Old 08-05-2007, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Thumbs up

WOW !! that sounds awesome ! I may have to consider getting one just for kicks.

Really, what I think would be cool is to buy another valance with cutouts on both sides and fit a dual pipe, straight out exhaust. That would be the ultimate exhaust! Another idea would be install a valance with a center cutout and have two pipes coming out straight out the back ( much like the Boxster S )

...sorry, I am messed up with the need for dual exhaust ..... it's a muscle car thing
Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The GT3 style muffler and Zork is coming .......
I have fiberglass valances as well.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: