Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
"I am the liquor..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
I'm going to weigh in as a *CONSUMER*. Even though I've just zipped up my flame suite, let me preface the following comments with this: I am an engine guy. I am a car guy. I do subscribe to form following function.

Having said that, some of these intercoolers look hideous to me. There is just too much of a "home built" flair to them. You can't deny that the intercooler in these engines inhabits a rather substantial footprint, thus becoming a focal point. Standing over the engine, it gets a lot of attention, just like the fan. I don't care for all of the sharp angles on SOME of these end tanks. Science and/or dyno numbers aside, I want something functional AND beautiful! There has to be a compromise. That's probably why the original 964 C2 Turbo intercooler appeals to me so much, regardless of it's age. Same for the B6 version. Of course that might also explain the price tag...

I wish I had a better picture, but as far as simplicity goes, this one is a favorite. This is Shockm's engine (one of my all time favorite cars):

The very slight rounding on the end tank edges changes EVERYTHING for me.

Okay, now I'll slither my lame CIS driving azz, back under a rock. Continue...
A couple more pictures (different car...I think chet's)

"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-08-2007, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Sandman...

Gotta agree with you on that comment. The angular finish of some of these tanks just doesn't appeal to me. Yes, I want it to be efficient.. but it should be well finished and purdy! Hell, my car is purdy so the parts should be too...

Always liked the craftmanship of the old full bay DP ICs as well as a few others. Shockm's IC is pefrect.. nice clean tanks.

P-
RGruppe #180
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Honestly, I think a lot of people in our community have their heads in the clouds with subjects like this. I completely understand wanting to buy only the best stuff for your car, however there comes a point where certain components are simplistic enough that whatever works, works. I've noticed there are a good number of people in this community that look down on "inexpensive" stuff and seem to enjoy increasing the cubic $ per square foot cost of their car by spending more money than they really need to. That's fine, but it's certainly not the way I'd go about doing things. As far as intercoolers go, they are a relatively simple component with a simple purpose. They are a radiator for air. Some people try to argue about efficiency, pressure drop, aerodynamics, etc. In all honesty, the difference is minimal at best between average quality IC's and high dollar good quality ones, for a street car or mixed use car. For dedicated track stuff, I fully understand the need to increase efficiency wherever possible. For street cars, it's one more "bragging" point that really doesn't amount to much more than further weight loss of your wallet. I'm not knocking the expensive stuff but, at some point you really have to be realistic with yourself. A large part of the cost associated with these cars and components like this is the name, brand, labor involved (and comparatively higher labor rates for Porsches), etc.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Honestly, I think a lot of people in our community have their heads in the clouds with subjects like this. I completely understand wanting to buy only the best stuff for your car, however there comes a point where certain components are simplistic enough that whatever works, works. I've noticed there are a good number of people in this community that look down on "inexpensive" stuff and seem to enjoy increasing the cubic $ per square foot cost of their car by spending more money than they really need to. That's fine, but it's certainly not the way I'd go about doing things. As far as intercoolers go, they are a relatively simple component with a simple purpose. They are a radiator for air. Some people try to argue about efficiency, pressure drop, aerodynamics, etc. In all honesty, the difference is minimal at best between average quality IC's and high dollar good quality ones, for a street car or mixed use car. For dedicated track stuff, I fully understand the need to increase efficiency wherever possible. For street cars, it's one more "bragging" point that really doesn't amount to much more than further weight loss of your wallet. I'm not knocking the expensive stuff but, at some point you really have to be realistic with yourself. A large part of the cost associated with these cars and components like this is the name, brand, labor involved (and comparatively higher labor rates for Porsches), etc.
Amen brother!!!

Now, where the hell can I get those ceramic rotors for my street 930?!!!
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

+1
Old 08-09-2007, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
Amen brother!!!

Now, where the hell can I get those ceramic rotors for my street 930?!!!

Hehe, you could compromise for some inexpensive Axxis Ultimate brake pads (not sure if they have them for your application), as they are ceramic based. Then you can honestly say you have ceramic "brakes". j/k
Old 08-09-2007, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: