Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

noise, rear suspension

1986 911 turbo, 17.000 miles. noise seems to be originating from the left rear
suspension, cv joint, wheel bearing, do not notice any clicking sounds when turning wheels, do not have any play, brakes and emergency brake seem to be working perfect. The cv boots look perfect, and no signs of leakage, if i grab
hold of the cv joint i can move it in and out, about 1/2" to 3/4" on either end.
Drove the car back from kansas city i thought it was tread noise, now much worse, rubbing grinding and now loud thumps, sounds like right under me. I
did not think i was going to make it home, any ideas, experiences, advice ect?
thanks!!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Todd,

The inboard CV's translate in and out by 3/4 inch nearest the transaxel? If so there is a 10MM bolt inside the Axel flanges tranny side that may be loose. It holds the axels in the differential. This is the only way your CV's can move laterally...If they move nearest you rotors you have wheel bearing issues. I doubt this. You would know it....Noisy grinding sloppy wheel when you rotate it.

Just a guess

Bob
Old 07-31-2007, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Exactly the same symptoms I had. Bad wheel bearings on the driver side. The wheel didn't have any slop in it because i only had a few of the rollers loose. Here is a pic.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 07-31-2007, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks Robert and Mark for your helpful information, tommorow i will take both rear wheels off and investigate further, the cv joint and a potential wheel bearing break down. I feel the key
is the various noises.From rubbing and grinding to loud knocking behind my seat, i immediately pulled over, i thought my cy joint sheared off. The car is an 86 turbo,17.500 miles
i feel it is just broken in, clearly not abused. I did have to kick start it a few times, and i am
just wondering about that. (p.s. Mark i see you are from villa hills, i live in loveland, we are
practically neighbors, where and by who do you trust with any work on your car, did you go to porsches to oxford saturday?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I do all my own work. I haven't paid a mechanic since 1991 (except for the usual, tires,...). I'll bet you a beer it's the bearings; the grinding and thumping is exactly what happened with mine. There is a guy on here that recommends a shop but I'll have to look it up, I can't remember the name right now. It down on Turfway in NKY. If it's the bearings I hope you have some time and skills because they suck in a major way to replace. Check the 911 Tech forums, there is a thread about this years P2O that all of us have been posting in.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: