Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thermostat 930

Hi Guys

I race a 3.0 litre turbo in a historics class in South Africa. My question is as follows : Can i omitt the exterior oil cooler thermostat, as i am only able to check the oil when the car is at running temperature. I would like to be able to check the oil at any time.

Please advise

Ta

Adrian
Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Just a SWAG:

Two issues with that it seems to me; the oil may take much longer to warm up properly, as it'll be circulating through any external cooler(s) fitted as soon as the motor thermostat opens.

Secondly, you should only check the oil when the oil is up to temperature anyway - because it expands as it gets hotter - if you check the level when cold, you will over-fill and it will puke it all out when it gets hot.

I presume you want to be able to start the car, warm it up on the track for a few laps and go playing without having to stop and check the oil - but also would like to be confident you have enough oil before whaling on it...

How about this? Warm the oil to normal operating temperature and then allow to cool to ambient. Make a mark for "cold" oil level. If ambients vary a lot, you may need to repeat at a few different temperatures - you may also need a longer dipstick to check, dunno quite how far down into the tank it actually goes...

I'm sure someone who knows what they're talking about will be along in a while
Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Don't do it. The thermostat is there to protect your external oil cooler from the high pressures of cold oil. Without the thermostat, cold thick oil will be forced through your oil cooler at high pressures when you start your motor and can burst your oil cooler.
'75 911S Silver Anniversary #164(Formerly JTO's)
Rebuilt 2.7 with full ARP, 9:1 CR.
SSI, GHL, ER polybronze bushings, finned oil lines.
Lowered and corner balanced. CIS retired, now PMOs!
'65 912 slate gray sunroof (driving project)
Old 07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hello all going to fit a s/h thermostat on my 930 when I run the engine for the first time how will I know the thermostat is working ok and that the thermostat is working how it should ?.

SEE YA
Old 12-15-2007, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE YA View Post
Hello all going to fit a s/h thermostat on my 930 when I run the engine for the first time how will I know the thermostat is working ok and that the thermostat is working how it should ?.

SEE YA
Hi,
You can feel the front oil lines and they'll be warm/hot. So will the front cooler when oil is flowing thru it.

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 12-15-2007, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Yes, and the lines should be cold at first until the oil gets up to a good temperature on the gauge.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 12-15-2007, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
My car ran for 2 years with the thermostat going to the front oil cooler stuck open. I had changed to Mobile 1 when it happened and just thought it made the car run cooler because it would rarely get over 80c even running hard.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Les- that may be true for the oil- but the reason the oil temp was cooler was because it wasnt absorbing/carrying away enough heat.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 12-15-2007, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
With the new thermostat which is a ***** to change out on a housing 32 years old, it now runs where it should. Between 80-100C. I had put some 5-50 Mobile 1 and I think I read it on this forum to use 15-50 which I am now.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: