Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
I wonder how good plain copper core plugs will last in a turbo?

I replaced the high end $14 / plug Bosche plugs with some cheap-o $1.79 NGKs. I just wanted to get the car running again and will probably upgrade later ..... so far it runs great.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I use ngk in mine

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 08-02-2007, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

+1, no troubles
Old 08-02-2007, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
+1
I've used them for the twin plug, no problems.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 08-02-2007, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Dude,

You'd better hope the PCA admissions committee doesn't catch wind of what you're up to, cheaping out on proper German equipment...
Old 08-02-2007, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Which NGK are you putting in?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
DENSO U Groove

I had the same situation happen where I didnt have W3DPO's available and went to Auto Zone and bought Denso U-Groove W24ESR-U for ~2 bucks a piece and they have been working great. No Problems. I don't know ...15 bucks a plug is a bit much! I think a plug is a plug as long as there not out of the heat range and at least platinum. I may be wrong, but why such an exclusive plug for this application??? Ever consider grit blasting the electrodes with that Harbor Freight Plug cleaner. I bought one and did my 3DPOs and cleaned and inspected them for entrapped grit. Was going to reinstall them and my buddy said don't take the chance of grit getting in a cylinder. Throw them away. I dunno. This cleaning process has been used for a hundred years with success. AS LONG AS YOU INSPECT THEM UNDER A MAG AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE CLEAN..No grit anywhere! The 3DPO will clean up nicely and ready to go another 15K if you clean them..Just a thought..

Bob
Old 08-02-2007, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx1 View Post
I replaced the high end $14 / plug Bosche plugs with some cheap-o $1.79 NGKs. I just wanted to get the car running again and will probably upgrade later ..... so far it runs great.
I wonder why we are surprised when this happens.

I use NAPA (Wix) oil filters.

And Goodyear tires!!! Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_snyder View Post
I may be wrong, but why such an exclusive plug for this application???Bob
VW does the same thing for their VR6 engine. The OEM plug was made specifically for that engine and they are $10-15 each.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-02-2007, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

equality, whats up with your avatars, ummm dick, is that a dick?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

No, it's a tallywhacker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinkley View Post
Old 08-02-2007, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
Dude,

You'd better hope the PCA admissions committee doesn't catch wind of what you're up to, cheaping out on proper German equipment...
Old 08-02-2007, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
Which NGK are you putting in?
I can't remember the PN .... WP8ES or something ... I'm not sure about the first two letters.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Hmm...how hard are you on your car? I guess standard copper plugs are perfectly OK for street driving. Original specs for turbo plugs was "race-ready" super-duper cold platinum plugs that mostly got fouled on street.

I never tried this though and dunno how well it works. What heat range do you use? These engines are somewhat knock-prone so I wouldn't try hotter plugs.

NGK B8EGV always worked for me. Did they get sooty on street? Yupp. Did they ever missbehave while wringing out the cars neck? Nope. I must be getting old...being conservative and all

Last edited by beepbeep; 08-03-2007 at 09:39 AM..
Old 08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
Hmm...how hard are you on your car? I guess standard copper plugs are perfectly OK for street driving. Original specs for turbo plugs was "race-ready" super-duper cold platinum plugs that mostly got fouled on street.

I never tried this though and dunno how well it works. What heat range do you use? These engines are somewhat knock-prone so I wouldn't try hotter plugs.

NGK B8EGV always worked for me. Did they get sooty on street? Yupp. Did they ever missbehave while wringing out the cars neck? Nope. I must be getting old...being conservative and all
I am pretty easy on my car because;

1. My need for speed is satisfied on sportbikes.

2. I can't afford to blow the car up and have to rebuild it.

3. I don't have a 3rd reason ... sorry. Please go back to 2.

I imagine the copper plugs will be fine. I'll just run them until the cars starts running crappy and then change them out.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinkley View Post
Jerry very sick man but thats what I thought Too!

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 08-04-2007, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Copper is a better conductor than platinum. Copper plugs work just fine, they just don't last as long as platinum plugs, so you will likely have to replace them a bit more often. However, as cheap as they are that's really not a big deal.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: