Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.2 turbo?

I am looking at building a track car. Considering the options.
Reading through Waynes book on performance engine up grades there is a option listed as 3.2/3.3 turbo.
I thought the turbos originally only came out as 3.0 (pre 78) and 3.3 (post 78).
Is there a 3.2 version?
Slightly off this thread, how can you get a 3.2 normally aspirated engine to about 260 hp?
Thanks
Alan
Old 08-02-2007, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hey Alan,

A bit confused, are you pondering NA or Turbo? Comparing the build cost of one versus the other?

Well, heres my attempt at an answer for you.

There is not a factory 3.2 to my knowledge but when I built my new engine based on my 1977 3 litre 930, I ended up making it a 3.2 with fully finned Mahle P's and C's. I am going to be dyno tuning here soon with my new EFI setup and custom intake manifold. I am hoping to make 525 RWHP with my motor.

As for making the kind of NA hp you speak of I would suspect it is going to take strong bolts for a higher reving motor, headwork, cams, ITB's, twin plug ignition, and the usual headers etc...

My pick for an NA motor that makes nice power close to stock and is very solid would be a 3.6 from a 964 car. Just my .02

I can give you my mod list if interested.

Hope this somehow helps?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Gumba, you have answered my turbo Q.
I will take the other Q to the regular forum. I am contemplating the options to power a track car and found a 3.2 T option F/S - which I could not rationalise - but it is obviously a 76/77 3.0 upgrade.
The other option is to try and find 60-80 extra hp out of a 3.0 or 3.2 motor.
For the class of racing, I cannot go beyond the 3.2 carrera as an option.
Thanks
Alan
Old 08-02-2007, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
user & abuser

Garage
another common mod (more common than 3L turbo -> 3.2L turbo) is to add a low boost turbo kit to a 3.2L carrera (motronic) engine....

hope this helps...
Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks Facey. That sounds very interesting, but the rules won't let me do that. If it came non turbo then it stays non turbo.
Which is why I'm considering both options - purchase a 930, or modify a NA to get somewhere close.
The simple answer would be to buy a 930, but parts/panels etc will be much harder to come by compared to the stock 911. I expect. Especially Down Under - we dont have access to the sort of inventory you guys have. Unfortunately.
Regards
Alan
Old 08-02-2007, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: