Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

well this morning I was able to get everything inside the case, and sealed it up this evening. This sealing thread was a huge help and would be a great tool for anyone doing their own rebuild: The Complete Engine Sealant Thread...

06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Looks real good John! You deserve a lot of respect for tackling this job all by yourself, of course understanding that Jeff is a huge help in this as well. That case looks good, what a transformation. I hope the rest goes smoothly.

It was good meeting you today!

1989 930 - 3.5l - M48 - G64/51
Old 08-18-2007, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Hey John, amazing job you are doing there. I don't have the courage for such an undertaking, I heard you have been hanging out with Olli, be careful he can be dangerous to your wallet, LOL seriously Olli and Speedwerks are saving me my sanity and the light at the end of the tunnel is visible now.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oms930 View Post
Looks real good John! You deserve a lot of respect for tackling this job all by yourself, of course understanding that Jeff is a huge help in this as well. That case looks good, what a transformation. I hope the rest goes smoothly.

It was good meeting you today!
Thank you for the kind words Olli,

It was great meeting you as well! Hopefully I will have my car up and running so I can meet you up at VIR.

Thanks for suggesting we meet at speedwerks. Its comforting to know I have a quality shop right in my backyard...
Old 08-19-2007, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
Hey John, amazing job you are doing there. I don't have the courage for such an undertaking, I heard you have been hanging out with Olli, be careful he can be dangerous to your wallet, LOL seriously Olli and Speedwerks are saving me my sanity and the light at the end of the tunnel is visible now.

Hahaha, I did leave a good chunk of my wallet with Olli, but received a K27HFS in return, so it was well worth it.

I got to check out your car while I was at speedwerks. I was really looking forward to seeing your engine, but it was only at the P's/C's stage. The good news for you is, out of the 4 engines in the clean room, yours was the furthest along.

You also did a great job on the interior, it was very clean and tasteful. One of the better interiors I have seen yet.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks John, did you pick up the JEs I hear they are amazingly light. On another note I hear you are Trinidadian, as is Yasin (Slow&Rusty) and I. David Mahraj the owner of Champion Porsche is also a Trini.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I must have been out to lunch or knocking back a bottle of bourbon at my office desk...how in the hell did I miss this thread? Sorry to subscribe so late!

At any rate, your progress looks great, John!!!! Man, seeing these pictures bring back memories of my engine rebuild!!! You do all the research that you can, and when you get into it, you find that you're still second guessing everything! For me, once the case was glued up, the rest went pretty quick! As for being a help on this project, all I've done is loan some tools, all of that is John's handiwork!!!!

I'll also add that John's story about his Grandfather's ownership of this car and his memories of the car as a boy, is bar-none the best tale, EVER!!!! This is exactly what I hope to do!

GREAT JOB, John!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-20-2007, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
Thanks John, did you pick up the JEs I hear they are amazingly light. On another note I hear you are Trinidadian, as is Yasin (Slow&Rusty) and I. David Mahraj the owner of Champion Porsche is also a Trini.
I did not get a chance to pick them up. Olli did tell me about how light they were when we got coffee after being at the shop.

I am not actually Trinidadian. My parents are living there at the moment. My father works for BMobile and don't think he will ever leave b/c he gets to sail around the Caribbean every weekend. I honestly didn't know there were so many Trinidadians in the Porsche world. You ever go back for Carnival? I think I might try to get down there for it this year.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
I must have been out to lunch or knocking back a bottle of bourbon at my office desk...how in the hell did I miss this thread? Sorry to subscribe so late!

At any rate, your progress looks great, John!!!! Man, seeing these pictures bring back memories of my engine rebuild!!! You do all the research that you can, and when you get into it, you find that you're still second guessing everything! For me, once the case was glued up, the rest went pretty quick! As for being a help on this project, all I've done is loan some tools, all of that is John's handiwork!!!!

I'll also add that John's story about his Grandfather's ownership of this car and his memories of the car as a boy, is bar-none the best tale, EVER!!!! This is exactly what I hope to do!

GREAT JOB, John!
How did you miss this thread? I think I need a catchier title.

I just finished getting the pistons in the cylinders and after makeing some business calls I will be putting in the head studs. Also all the powder coating arrived today so I have everything but the cams (at camgrinder)

Just you wait Jeff, I will be getting some dirt on your hands when it comes to timing!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Well tonight I was finally able to get the Pistons and cylinders on the case. This is where I had my first mess up of the rebuild. On the second cylinder I had to keep on stopping to take care of work calls... bad idea... I got the clip in the realized I forgot the gasket! I was able to get the clip out (luckily it was a Porsche clip and not JE). I couldn't get the wrist pin out b/c the 1st cylinder was in the way. After sitting there for a minute sweating my a$$ off debating on what to do (it was 101 degrees today, and there is no A/C in my garage) I came up with a solution. I used sockets to slowly take the place of the pin and push it out. I made sure not to forget the gasket for the rest of them.

Once again I am pushing my rebuild back. The only part I don't have back are my cams, and my camgrinder went awal. after not returning my calls all week and already having the cams for close to a month, I finally called and got a hold of him this afternoon, he said they would be done today and that he would call, of course there was no call. Looks like no P-car for the last beach trip of the season on labor day weekend
Old 08-22-2007, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Looks like im about to do the same thing your doing or did. I dont think I will do all the upgrades but I do plan to do the rebuild myself. What book is that your using?

Here are some pictures of the 930 I just bought with a truck bed full of engine parts. http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/Mhall222/Porsche%20930/

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHall View Post
Looks like im about to do the same thing your doing or did. I dont think I will do all the upgrades but I do plan to do the rebuild myself. What book is that your using?

Here are some pictures of the 930 I just bought with a truck bed full of engine parts. http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/Mhall222/Porsche%20930/

Thanks
Mike
Yikes! You will definitely want to pick up both of Wayne's books (can be purchased from this site). A copy of the factory manuals came in handy, but I could find most of what I needed on here or Rennlist. Couple of questions for you

1. whats the history on that car (year/why its in pieces/etc)
2. where are you located
3. do you have any kind of budget yet?

I will be honest, I started with just doing a stock rebuild. It was the "while you were in there's" that really killed me. Also if it wasn't for this site, and a fellow pelican who lives in my area (sandman), I would of been in a lot of trouble. Just make sure you leave all the machine and spec work to the real pro's. depending on where you live, you may have to ship it out like I did (from NC to NV).

Since it is in pieces you will have to do a lot of research (actually you will have to do tons of research anyways). One of the easy things about my build was I had pics of the tear down, and labeled/remember everything I took off. I may still have most of those photos if needed.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

The car is a 84 930 with 55K original miles. It has been sitting for 3 years at a auto repair shop where the transaxle went missing and the engine got put into boxes. The engine was torn down due to smoking which might have cleared up on its on but I dont know if that's true or not. Im located in Camilla, GA which is 3 hours south of Atlanta and 1 hour north of Tallahassee, FL. My budget will be what ever it takes to build this motor back to stock specs with maybe a mod here or there. After talking with a guy knowledgeable guys I think I can get this car road worth for $10K or so as long as I do all the work myself. I wont skimp on anything but then again I will do my best to stay on a budget.

Mike
Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Oh yeah, I would love the photos of the engine tear down. If there are to many to upload I would be willing to buy a burnt CD if you can offer that.

Mike
Old 05-28-2008, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

John,
Where did you buy your 3.4 Mahle (yellowbirds) pistons and cylinders? I need one piston & cylinder and am trying to find out if it is possible to buy less than a set of six.
I am down the road from you in Columbia, SC. I am trying to do a topend on a 3.4 turbo (my first time).
Thanks for any help.
Danny
Old 05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I'll be honest with you Mike, the "right" machine shop can and will make all the difference in the world!!! I think John used EBS for most of his machine work. They have a great reputation. I used Performance Developments for my parts...another great shop that will remove all of the guess work and accomadate ANY need you might have. When I got all of my parts back, there was nothing to do except assembly! And even then I was invited out to their shop in CA to work with them on my build. Unfortunatley I was managing another project and was away on business, so I missed this great opportunity! But, it had all been measured, cleaned, machined, cleaned, bagged, tagged, and documented! I have never seen anything like it. They treated my engine as if it were their own! You can do it...just takes some $$$ and some patience!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 05-29-2008 at 06:39 PM..
Old 05-29-2008, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I also wouldn't rule Imagine Auto out! If it weren't for the great experience of doing it myself, I seriously thought about sending the whole damn long block out to Stephen Kasper and letting him have his way with it!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHall View Post
Oh yeah, I would love the photos of the engine tear down. If there are to many to upload I would be willing to buy a burnt CD if you can offer that.

Mike

Give me a couple days to find everything I have. I just started a new job, and I have been working 12+ hour days. I think I may have most, if not all, on-line somewhere. If I have enough to require a burned copy, I'll just send you one free of charge. Maybe we can get a pic thread going on here so other pelicans can fill the gaps that I have missed.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

you can also try http://www.jbracing.com

I had a technical question about timing, and Troy at EBS referred me to them. Even though I didnt get the machine work done at JB, they walked me through what needed to be done. I am pretty sure EBS even outsources some of their work to JB racing, but I am not 100% sure. At least it will save you on some shipping costs ( I spent about $600 on shipping w/ a corporate account)
Old 05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

JBracing is only 3.5 hours down the road from me. Other than having he head rebuild what other machine work would be needed? I may have to get the cylinders recoated and honed but i dont know yet. What is the average cost for getting heads reworked as long as the valves are good? I guess that would include, cleaning, valve job and putting them back together.

Mike
Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: