Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My 79 930 Rebuild

Many of you have me asking me to publish a thread on my car, and the current rebuild. So grab a cold one and enjoy!

History:

In 1979 my grandfather traded in his red 356 coupe for a brand new copper metalic 930 sitting on the showroom floor. As a boy I would always love visiting him b/c I knew he would take me out for a drive and always had either a new Porsche t-shirt or hat to give me. Our bond truly was this car.
In August 2006 he passed away and left me his prized possession. He had planned on giving it to me anyways b/c he knew it was time for him to get something newer, and faster (a Porsche GT3 to be exact), but didn't get a chance to go through with it.

The reason for the rebuild:

After sitting in customs for a month (car is from canada) It finally arrived at my doorstep. It was my first time driving it, so I never knew anything was wrong, but i did notice a slight studder on acceleration. I took it to the shop to have all new struts, tires, euro drop, and allignment. That is when the shop called to tell me the engine was in bad shape. 1 cylinder was not fireing (the studder), and 3 cylinders had more than 90% leak. I couldnt believe I was even able to drive it at all. I took it home, parked it in the garage and got in touch with a guy who owned a 930 and had done a rebuild on it already. I had met him at the Triangle chapter PCA xmas party (many of you know him on here as Sand_Man). He introduced me to Pelican, and Waynes books. He also let me borrow all the expensive tools to get the job done!

The tear down:

06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle

Last edited by AngM018; 08-03-2007 at 06:20 PM..
Old 08-03-2007, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The build sheet:

-3.3-3.4 Mahle (yellowbirds) pistons and cylinders
-SC cams
-SSI custom exhaust
-Tial wastegate
-RUF lightweight clutch
-Modified fuel head
-Modified oil pump
-ARP head studs and rod bolts
-Turbotrol fender oil cooler (cheap and temporary till I have the cash for a carrera)
-Turbo (still in the works, probably a K27HF or HFS
-All machine work and bearings from EBS (Troy Chapman went above and beyond, really a great guy who I would definately recommend)
-Rebuild kit and a bunch of other random parts from our host Pelican Parts)
-and of course all the knowledge I have gained on here, reading posts for the past 6 months

All the major parts are back and I have started cleaning, and getting the crank ready. I will be installing the rods as soon as the stretch gauge arrives, so stay tuned.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Looks good!

Looks like a burned valve in the number 2 or 5 cylinder head.

And that Sand_Man is something else. He lent me some stuff as well to help me rebuild my engine this past winter.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What a great begining for you and your grandfathers car.
I'm excited to follow along in your prgress!
E-man
Old 08-03-2007, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, I added another photo of the tear down. That little issue with the crank turned out to be a $1100.00 bill...
Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your build.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-04-2007, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Wow. Your grandfather eh. That's so cool. Me and my grand dad were close as well. Had I been a little older at the time I would have got his V8 ChevyII.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

John

The engine doesn't look too bad for a 79. Have you found where that oil leak on top of the engine by the case vent came from....was it the vent hose?

You didn't mention about the mileage the engine had, do you mind terribly posting a picture of a cylinder wall after you break it down....I'm interested to see if the crosshatch pattern can be seen. I have taken engines apart with the Nikasil cylinders, with 100 K miles on them, and the cross hatch is still visible.....

From my experience, it appears that the cylinder with the burned valve might have been running lean. Make sure that you check those injectors out.

Thanks and keep us informed, great pics
79 Honda CBX
Old 08-04-2007, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

These were all very good points. The oil leaks were from years and years of being fixed but not cleaned up. When I first got the car I started blending my own oil and it resolved pretty much all of the leaks at the time.

I will take a pic of the cylinders. believe it or not their still was a crosshatch, and this engine had about 130K on the clock. Even though this is a Canadien car and it was his daily driver, he would only drive it in the summer months after it had rained at least twice (to be sure there was no salt on the road). Thus no rust!

I think you hit the nail on the head with the lean situation. I sent out all my injectors to be cleaned/tested, and one came back leaking and was not reusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermania View Post
John

The engine doesn't look too bad for a 79. Have you found where that oil leak on top of the engine by the case vent came from....was it the vent hose?

You didn't mention about the mileage the engine had, do you mind terribly posting a picture of a cylinder wall after you break it down....I'm interested to see if the crosshatch pattern can be seen. I have taken engines apart with the Nikasil cylinders, with 100 K miles on them, and the cross hatch is still visible.....

From my experience, it appears that the cylinder with the burned valve might have been running lean. Make sure that you check those injectors out.

Thanks and keep us informed, great pics
Old 08-04-2007, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Cooking in the kitchen... I honestly don't now how some of your guys wife's let you get away with this. I have my sister and brother-in-law staying with me right now and they had to leave the house b/c of the smell. Good thing I'm still a bachelor

Old 08-04-2007, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
We don't get away with it... I had to buy a shed to do "bench" work.
I said "I will have to roll up the carpet in the dining room and cover the table up". Needless to say it never happened...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-04-2007, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I'm a rookie - approx. how much time and money does it take to rebuild one of these engines?
Old 08-04-2007, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanji View Post
I'm a rookie - approx. how much time and money does it take to rebuild one of these engines?

I tore mine down in feb. and just now putting it back together. Machine work took the longest b/c I had to not only ship everything from NC to Nevada, but it was also their busy season. Money..... I went in with a $10K budget, I am up to around $20K, but of course I am doing a lot of mods. My best advise I can give you is make sure its done right the first time, and it is one of the slipperiest slopes you could ever stand on so be very aware.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
sub'ing
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 08-05-2007, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngM018 View Post
I tore mine down in feb. and just now putting it back together. Machine work took the longest b/c I had to not only ship everything from NC to Nevada, but it was also their busy season. Money..... I went in with a $10K budget, I am up to around $20K, but of course I am doing a lot of mods. My best advise I can give you is make sure its done right the first time, and it is one of the slipperiest slopes you could ever stand on so be very aware.
Who did you ship it to in Nevada?

Chuck
72" 914 1.7 (sold)
79" Alpina B6 (sold)
Old 08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

EBS Racing. I would highly recomend. Troy Chapman is the guy I dealt with, and he stayed on top of everthing, and responded to all my emails within minutes.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Update: Engine balancing/Blueprinting

Well I knew I didn't have to really "blueprint" the engine as I wont be racing it at all. Instead I just wanted the parts to match as closely as possible without filing anything down.

Luckily a college buddy still had some contacts at our old school, and they let us use a lab to get everything weighed.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rod installation

After having some issue's with getting the gears on the crank, It finally worked out. I decided to use the stretch method to instal the rods after reading a bunch of posts on here. I am glad I did b/c if I would of used just the torque method the ARP bolts would not be at full stretch.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Nice looking stretch gauge!!

I use my kitchen for crank/rod assembly too! Also good spot of CC/ing for CR..... Cleanest spot I can think of.

Keep the pics comming, looks like you are doing geat work!

Cheers
Old 08-12-2007, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Thanks again for letting me borrow the gauge Jeff! It gave me so much more peace of mind knowing I used the stretch method instead of the torque method. Also helped that I got to use the $150 ARP gauge instead of a cheaper version.

Yeah my sister and brother in law are living w/ me while they remodel there home, they thought I was crazy cooking parts in the kitchen.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: