Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oil line fix question: '79 930

Per 1979 930: Anyone ever splice a section (8") of appropriate rubber line in the middle of the steel oil line from thermostat to front cooler in order to repair crush damage? How about short steel replacement line attached to main line with two short sections of rubber hose?

Which line is suction? Thanks - EPS
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 08-04-2007, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

those are brass lines painted black.. Mine were crushed flate and by pressurizing the line to 60 psi I heated up the offending area with a B tank and it poped out to original shape pretty easily.. Let me know if you need the fittings and regulator I can search for em and send them to you

Current project 73 914-6 Gt project rusteration 2.4
914-6werkshop.com ,heat exchangers, oil tanks, etc
Old 08-04-2007, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Fix

Thanks Ben. Some pretty big rocks out here in Tucson once one goes off roading. I'll let you know if I will need the fittings - appreciate the offer.
Also - Thanks again for the turbo flange. EPS
AMG V8 SL55 Mercedes, 993 C2, 86' Carrera 3.6 hot rod, Purple 1998 993 that didn't make the cut, 3 very old 930s, A/Fuel Dragster CH3NO2 (R.I.P.), Blown Alcohol TAD, AA/AA, 360 Maxim wingless, Cummins Turbo Diesel. Amateur Welder, Painter and sculptor sort of. -
Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I don't see why you couldnt repair with rubber hose. I would want to either flare near the end of the pipe pipe or possibly braze or solder a brass plumbing olive (cone) near the end of the pipe. The olive could be too big and you could cut it across, it wouldn't matter as it is only to prevent the hose blowing off. I would place the hose clamps real close to the flares/olives.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-04-2007, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I wouldn't trust hose clamp's but I think Nat is spot oin with trying to brase or solder a section in. I've wondered if you could heat the pipe up and run a metal ball on a wire through it to straighten it out?

Of course, where to get the ball and wire...
Old 08-04-2007, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

one of my lines was badly crushed at the curved section where it runs forward to the oil cooler. I got my next door neighbour, who is a plumber!!!, to have a look and he cut out the section and bent a piece of central heating pipe and fitted it with compression fittings. It has not leaked a drop in 6 years. AND the normal engine oil temperature dropped, of course.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
LOL, did he replace it with copper?

The working pressure of plumbing fittings & tube reduces with an increase in temperature.

Central heating is designed to only get to 82c and mains water pressure is typically only 3.5bar here in UK.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Last edited by NathanUK; 12-15-2007 at 08:33 AM..
Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nathan - Yes he just went to his van and pulled out a piece of copper tubing - exactly the same dimensions as the porky stuff. Makes you wonder whether the original porky stuff was sourced from the local plumber??? Obviously the German plumping tubing has a higher spec than the UK stuff....but it's held so far
Old 08-30-2007, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Hehehe. The lines on the car are Brass. Brass is a Copper & Zinc alloy.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I had to cut off my brass pipes off as they were seized on the front oil cooler and thermostat they took the tread off the thermostat. I have heard its not just me it happens to and that many garages just cut the pipes off to replace them anyway in general.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobster View Post
one of my lines was badly crushed at the curved section where it runs forward to the oil cooler. I got my next door neighbour, who is a plumber!!!, to have a look and he cut out the section and bent a piece of central heating pipe and fitted it with compression fittings. It has not leaked a drop in 6 years. AND the normal engine oil temperature dropped, of course.
Next time I talk to my plumber, I'll let him know he's leaving money on the table by not becoming a "Porsche Plumber" !

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 12-15-2007, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
One of my lines was crushed and I replaced it with copper as well.. Soldered that baby right up!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 12-15-2007, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
I did that with copper as well. At the time it was frowned upon but I am cheep. This time it hasn't hurt me too bad to be cheep. It worked for me. I even used bends and such. I brazed it with brass to get it real oil tight. Boy, brass melts sooner than copper.....duh.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to 83930
I replaced a section under the door with a piece of hydraulic line (braided steel and rubber) 6 years ago. Two hose clamps on each end. Hasn't leaked a drop since. With the thermstat fan on cooler hasn't gone over 190 since. Good luck with your choice.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Can anyone help with a picture of the oil cooler fitting pipes from the brass pipes to the oil cooler.

Thank you.

SEE YA
Old 01-13-2008, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

What ever you do...please DO NOT do this...!!

Yasin
Old 01-13-2008, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post

Yasin
Hey, i know the guy who did this! He put a new faucet on my Jacuzzi in my master Bath!

Les
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 01-13-2008, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Hello all not the picture I am after but the front pipes to the oil cooler is the one needed .

SEE YA
Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE YA View Post
Hello all not the picture I am after but the front pipes to the oil cooler is the one needed .

SEE YA
Old 01-13-2008, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post

Yasin
Actually there's nothing at all wrong with this. Should last a long time. Oil lines are actually very low pressure...
FYI they are discussing this thread to death over in the general 911 BBS
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 01-13-2008, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: