Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Shortened G50 into 82 Euro 930 - anyone here done it?

I'm having it done and the shop is running into some fitment issues, specifically the transmission and the torsion tube being too close to each other. The shop will get it ironed out but as I like to learn and hate being totally clueless I was hoping someone here can give me some info on what they did to make it work.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2007, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Me like track days

Have one, didn't do it however.

I'd politely contact Powerhaus II - he knows this stuff in & out
Old 08-10-2007, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Craig - how much clearance is there between the tube and tranny, do you know or have pics? I'll speak with the shop later on and mention PHII, thanks.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Me like track days

Very close if I recall correctly - plus the engine had to move back less than an inch for it all to fit.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, it's that move back part I think is missing.. how is it accomplished, modified mounts?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Me like track days

Engine mount bar reversed -
Old 08-10-2007, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
My engine looks as though it is placed in exactly the same position as in my stock 3.2 carrera.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-11-2007, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Engine mount bar reversed -
That makes perfect sense and I could see where it would give a little more clearance. What about the tranny mount, it must be modified also, no?
Old 08-11-2007, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

G50

On G50 and 930 longbell housing cars porsche redesigned the torsion
tube to accomodate these slightly longer transaxles. One option was
to replace the torsion tube with the appropriate tube designated for
the particular transaxle. The other option was to shorten the tranny.
I'm told that to shorten the tranny the mainshaft needs to be shortened
as well. This job certainly needs to be done by a really competent machine
shop as I've heard of cases where the job was botched. I've also heard
that the tranny needs to be disassembled for the job as well. To me it
would be cheaper to replace the torsion tube with the appropriate tube
than to modify the tranny. I've replaced a torsion tube myself in an
afternoon. I paid $75.00 for a tube and did the welding myself. Another
option is to simply modify the engine mounts as the engine would be moved
1.5 inches closer to the rear.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have a shortened G50 in a 930. Works great.

Contact Bobby Hart at California Motorsports. He will shorten the bell housing and main shaft.

You will use a early turbo (3.0) clutch set up. I sourced a custom unit from Kennedy Engineering. This will hold the torque and HP. The stock 3.0 930 PP will slip....

Even with the shortened bell housing, you may still need to "notch" your torsion tube. You can retain torsion bars.

Plumbing the hydyolic clutch takes some work, but very doable.

You will need a g50 shifter and 87-89 pedal assembly, G50 slave and resorvior . You will need to make a custom front trans mount...

I would suggest you get a RSR style steel flywheel as well.

If you need I can get you some pics of my set up. It is a great upgrade, but costs add up.....

good luck.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for responding guys but it IS a shortened G50 that is having a bit of an issue fitting. I bleieve there has to be some minor work done on the mounts at this point. All the other items mentioned are done and in place.

Last edited by GaryR; 08-12-2007 at 11:15 AM..
Old 08-12-2007, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Even with a shortened bell housing, you will need to "clearance" the nose cone and/or the torsion tube. We notched the torsion tube to gain the additional clearance required. You will also need a custom front transmission mount to make this work. I am sure there are other option, but this is what was done to make the G50 work in my 79 turbo...

Good luck..
Old 08-12-2007, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hello Gary, how you ended with this conversion?
I have a G50/00 in my 87 930, conversion was done
time ago, no info available.

But I like to know how they did it!
Engine has slightly moved backwards for sure.
Torsion tube seems not touched.

Can anyone here tell me the lenght of a G50/00
or /01 and the lenght of this shortened versions?

Falk
Old 03-22-2008, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
They ended up modifying the front mounts with some sort of adapter and all fit fine after that (rear was modified somehow also). Car was sold, is out in Kansas now!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Me like track days

Engine was moved back for sure in my G50 install - back enough the at the BS IC will not fit whatsoever.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Measured my G50/00 its ~660mm or 25 inch long.
would be great to get some measurments to compare.

Transmission mount looks original and truly the G50
looks not machined, as far visible.

Falk
Old 03-22-2008, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Look at the bellhousing area where the clutch lives.

I had the pleasure of seeing a G50/0# recently from a late 3.2 carrera. It was very noticable that my G50/01 in my 930 has been shortened here. My engine is not moved back and my torsion tube is not modified. Mounts have been made up and welded to the torsion tube. Also the tranny bracket has been cut and modified a lot.

The length of my bellhousing has been reduced by nearly 1".
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 03-23-2008, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: