Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Angry My transmission sounds like marbles in a blender.

None of the gears work anymore I was almost home and it sounds like something came loose and is banging around .... so I killed the motor and coasted to a stop. There is no hole in the case or dripping oil. I started it and if I let the clutch out, it's sounds like something very bad has happened.

I've been driving it really easy too ..... nothing should be breaking on this car.

The car still coasts, so I hooked a chain to it and towed it home.

Update:

The right rear axle is flopping around at the wheel.

Last edited by Maxx1; 08-12-2007 at 03:33 PM..
Old 08-12-2007, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Damn, you're having some bad luck. Sorry to hear that, hope it too major.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 08-12-2007, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Check all of your axle bolts. They tend to come loose with time or after a repair and need to be re-tightened. Cross your fingers that nothing was damaged while the axle was flopping about.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

without sounding like a prick, welcome to the world of Porsche ownership. Why the f$$k do we put up with these expensive, cantankerous cars? Because when they are right there is none like it. Once you get all the bugs sorted you will be in Porsche turbo heaven. I would'nt be without one now. A friend recently bought a Ferrari 328, lol, you think Porsche's are expensive!! Needless to say he has since sold it and bought a very nice 996. He's now converted to Porschlam.
You'll get it sorted. Mine was a garage queen from PO and I've had some major issues to, but all worth it in the end.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I redid all of my axles and cv boots just to be on the safe side when I bought the car. A couple of them were loose and some of the boots were cracking and leaking.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Red face

Here is what I found.

This came apart at about 20 mph, so it looks like I was very lucky. The bolts are barely nicked at the ends. One bolt will probably need replaced, but I'll probably just replace all of them to be sure.

The weird thing is, there was no locking hardware of any kind on the bolts ..... the other good CV bolts all had a whopping 25 ft lbs of torque on them

I know, I'm missing one bolt.

The rest of the hardware was in good shape. The inside gasket was torn up of course. The bearing housing had a few scuffs on it, but nothing serious. These parts all have that black Moly grease on it...... I would think this should use heavy duty wheel bearing grease?

And here is the inner wheel ..... nothing to see here folks, just move along ......

I hear there are bolt kits for these in the parts dept?
Old 08-13-2007, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Drive flange damage

Hello there,
I do not know when you posted these pics. But I disagree with your statement about NO DAMAGE to that outer drive flange. In your picture I can clearly see the threads are deformed and partialy pulled out. You had better at least run a tap thru each hole prior to re-assembly to clean things up. You risk the chance of cross threading your holes upon re-assembly if you do not.
Just a word of caution from a rather anal machinist type.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Hello there,
I do not know when you posted these pics. But I disagree with your statement about NO DAMAGE to that outer drive flange. In your picture I can clearly see the threads are deformed and partialy pulled out. You had better at least run a tap thru each hole prior to re-assembly to clean things up. You risk the chance of cross threading your holes upon re-assembly if you do not.
Just a word of caution from a rather anal machinist type.
I cleaned them up a bit and see what you mean. Good eye! In the mean time, I need to order a set of new bolts because they are nicked up a bit on the ends.

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Same thing happend to me but some bolts broke. This let loose as I was leaving the pits to go on track. Now I check them before a track day.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Maxx, moly grease is correct for cv joints as specified by the auto industry.

Good to hear there was no damage. Bolts are $3-4 each from pelican.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: