Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wevo shifter question

Hi,

I have a question about the Wevo shifter - is this "merely" a short shift kit that is also spring loaded to the 3-4 plane?

I have the "factory" short shift kit. The throw is not exactly short, but I can live with that. What I do mind is that once in a while, when you need very short time to downshift from 3rd to 2nd, I couldn't find it. Instead of finding 2nd, I seem to hit a "wall" where you can't put the thing into any gear.

It doesn't sound like any short (or shorter) shift kit will help?

I do have new coupler & bushings and the tranny had "just" been rebuilt so synchros & dogteeth ought to be ok still.

I would also appreciate input as to why do you like the Wevo kit.

thanks!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have a factory short shift which I spring loaded in our '73S. Also have the Wevo shifter in our '75 race car, and '79 930. The Wevo is more precise. The only part you reuse is the shift housing, everything else is replaced with Wevo components. In the 915 housing the shifter is spring loaded on the 3/4 plane, in the 930 it's spring loaded on the 1/2 plane. You can also swap out the springs to change the side to side tension. I used the supplied springs for the race car and went to a softer spring for the street. The throw is about the same as the factory kit.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the input Gumba.

So it sounds like the Wevo kit is really "same" as factory one + spring loaded.
When you say the Wevo is more precise, is it because of tighter tolerance only? From what I can see from picture, the design is identical to the factory one?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Not the same. If you could compare the internal parts you would see a big difference. It's hard to describe the more precise feel, not sure if it's just tighter tolerances. Comparing the 915 factory short shift to the Wevo, the Wevo feels more positive. I don't worry coming out of 5th wondering if I'm in 4th or 2nd. Could be the spring tension. I did back to back tests with the spring loaded factory short shift and the Wevo in my '73 911 and the Wevo just felt all around better. I swapped the stock 930 shifter out right after I got the car. I also like the fact that you can change the sprint rates. I like the stiffer springs for the track, and the softer springs for the street. All I can say is try and find someone in your area that has one and try it.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have the factory ss in my 85 cab and the Wevo in my 930. The shifters are like night and day! The Wevo is very solid and precise with its gates. The factory is good in the throw reduction, but vague in the gates.
14 535i M Sport
Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the all the feedback!!!

I can find a few with the 915 Wevo locally but nobody has the 930 version. I guess I can at least try that. Friend of mine did a datalog of his G50 version - 1.4 second to shift without and .6 second with the G50 Wevo kit

And it sounds like the sum of the parts is why it is way more $$$ than the factory kit. With the few missed shifts I have on track, I may just go for it.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I guess the best analogy is this. The factory ss is like performing surgery with a scalpel. The Wevo is like using a computer guided laser scalpel.
14 535i M Sport
Old 08-15-2007, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I think its fair to say that there is good reason for Wevo having the reputation that it does. I have one in my 930 and really like it. Much more precise that factory.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I tried the WEVO out at the Ventura Pcar show and the way I would describe it is when you fire a double action revolver by pulling the trigger you get a long vague pull but when you cock the hammer first and then pull the trigger it is short and crisp. The WEVO "Clicks" when it goes into a gear, (I'm sure you cant hear it in a car while driving, but you can on a display like I was using). The WEVO guy also told me they would alter the shift stick to any personal request that you might have, ie; tilt, curve or whatever to try and get rid of the 3rd gear reach. He reminded me that if you bend it back to get rid of the long throw to third, you will end up with a way back beside you 4th.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

If you are seriously considering the 930 WEVO shift kit, you need to purchase their shift coupler (and ditch the POS stock coupler). Otherwise you won't get the full benefit of the 930 shift kit. I have the shifter and coupler, and it completely transformed the way it shifted - in a good way.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: