Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
best place to tap for Wastegate hose

My current wastegate hose to the wastegate inlet is tapped off the inlet side of the B&B intercooler that I installed.
I max out at 0.65 bar on my VDO gage in the dash.
My question is would I benfit with a little more boost by tapping off the actual intake manifold with the hose. Reason being there must be a pressure loss across the intercooler and after the throttle body which would not get picked up currently as it is hooked up?
Anyone have a range of pressure loss across these engine items to give a feel for what to expect. I see this as free hp if it makes a significant difference.
Thoughts?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
When the throttle is closed your wastegate will think there is no boost...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-14-2007, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
It appears this works because the wastegate regulates the boost relative to the signal it receives.

I did this, only to lower my bottom boost threshold by taking the wastegate signal prior to the intercooler (like yours is currently set up).

I was seeing just under 2 psi boost differential by taking the wastegate signal prior to the intercooler versus after the intercooler. This differential correlates to the restriction which I measured across my intercooler at about 1.5 psi. So, the answer is yes, assuming you have a little restriction within your intercooler (most all do) you could increase your boost threashold by taking the signal after the intercooler.

eidt: signal taken after the intercooler, but before the throttlebody. I'm not sure of the effects of linking directly to intake manifold such that the wastegate sees vacuum iduring off-throttle. Diaphram in wastegate might not like this.

Last edited by Jim2; 08-14-2007 at 05:55 PM..
Old 08-14-2007, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Don't you just tap a line at the back end of the intercooler?

My Andial intercooler has a nipple on the back, which is where my boost signal is hooked up to go to the wastegate. Isn't this the ideal place for getting boost signals, after the intercooler has dropped the pressure slightly of the intial boost?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Fred - When you say the VDO gauge in your dash are you referring to the factory gauge within the tach or the typical clock replacement gauge? If its the one in the tack I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time chasing boost as those are just plain useless.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
No I mean the VDO gage that replaces the clock.
The one in the tach is so inaccurate it makes me cringe. You don't realize how far off it is until you actually see the VDO gage in action.
I see about 0.6-0.7 bar max boost in 3rd or 4th gear on the highway. I thought that was a little low since the wastegate signal is reading higher than the intake manifold sees after all the pressure drops thru the intercooler and manifold.
Was just testing my logic.......looks like some free horsepower if I reroute it......maybe 20hp, just kidding.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: