Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
B&B Turbo Oil Tank Needed for Fitment Testing

I've have a LOT of inquiries for fitment of my products on B&B heat exchangers.
My stuff was designed for use with stock Euro and US systems so I need to do some fitment test and tweeks. It is important to me that my stuff be 100% bolt on. You shouldn't need degree in mechanical engineering to put a muffler on a car (or an intercooler, but that's another story).

Here's what I'm looking for. If you've got one to sell please give me a holler. I'll even rent one and send it back to you.

Thanks!

Last edited by RarlyL8; 08-14-2007 at 07:51 PM..
Old 08-14-2007, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
RarlyL8,
That's interesting. When I purchased the slant, I immediately upgraded the exhaust with a B&B muffler to improve the sound. It mounted to the turbo outlet flange as it should have with the stainless steel bands added to the muffler for added support. When I upgraded to the B&B header system when I was rebuilding the engine, I simply remounted the muffler to the turbo flange. Everything looked like it did before with no tweaking the muffler tip or flange what so ever.
Could it be people are changing turbos at the same time they are changing the exhaust system? Do the 3LDZ and the 7200 share the same dimensions as far as the turbine outlet flange in relation to the turbine inlet?

Just asking. Sure hate to see you chase your tail on such a noble effort!
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 08-15-2007, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I use my car for all the final fitment work and real-world testing. The turbo is a K27-7200 mounted with a modified turbo bracket.
My mule motor is used for the initial fabrication and uses a stock 3LDZ and a stock turbo bracket.
Both setups seem to place the turbo outlet in the same spot. My stock muffler fits both setups as well.
Unfortunately there are several turbo oil tank configuations that have been made to accommodate header designs. I would like to have a one-size-fits-all so I need to purchase every type of tank on the market and put them on my mule motor for testing and adjustments.

Sadly the above car has been sold out of state and I no longer have access to it. I was able to take some good measurements before it left and have a muffler that was built for that configuration - and no way to verify the adjustments. I need to do that before sending it off the the new owner who is like 15,000 miles away.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hiya Rarlyl8......
Just to say that i appreciate your efforts to ensure hassle free fit-up of my new exhaust.

Not sure if it would help, but, if you are unable to get the lend of a tank, I could do some detailed sketches including critical dimensions.
Unfortunately, i won't be home for 3 weeks or so.

Cheers.

Dave.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Dave,
Thanks for the offer. I assume that your configuration is identical to the one pictured.
I have the dimensions from that car. The issue is that I always do a re-fitment check before sending the mufflers out to make sure nothing moved during the welding process. So far I've never had an issue, I don't want yours to be the first!
I'll buy a tank if need be. We still have some time.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Dave,
Thanks for the offer. I assume that your configuration is identical to the one pictured.
I have the dimensions from that car. The issue is that I always do a re-fitment check before sending the mufflers out to make sure nothing moved during the welding process. So far I've never had an issue, I don't want yours to be the first!
I'll buy a tank if need be. We still have some time.
Hey Rarly, I have an extra tank, brand new. It came with my replacement OBX headers. Since I already had B&B headers, I already had the drip tank. I have promised the extra tank to a user named, AngM018. His engine rebuild is nearing completion. If you can get his permission to borrow it for whatever time you guys agree on, I'll send it to you. Just have him drop me an email.

Thanks,
Jeff
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-16-2007, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Are the tanks identical? Do they look like the one pictured?
I'm finding more and more different version of that tank.
Look at this one. Same tank, completely different location.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Off the top of my head, it looks just like the one pictured above...I'll check tonight.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-16-2007, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rarly, how long would you need the tank for?
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 08-16-2007, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Just long enough to verify the fitment. One day.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I am sending Sand_Man an email as I type to give him the go ahead to ship. I wont need it till the last week of the month. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Brian, I will ship it first thing on Friday, August 17, 2007. Please PM me your address.

John, I got your email and responded to your thread in the Engine Building Forum.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Please verify the configuration. The tank I am looking for is the one pictured on the car.
That tank actually angles towards the rear of the car causing an interferance with the tail pipe. The tank with the large elbo would likely not be a problem.
Thanks guys!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:

I am pretty sure this will be what it looks like, since Sand_Man received it when he purchased a set of OBX headers. He will have to verify that for you though.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:

I am pretty sure this will be what it looks like, since Sand_Man received it when he purchased a set of OBX headers. He will have to verify that for you though.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

oops, sorry for the double post
Old 08-16-2007, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Please verify the configuration. The tank I am looking for is the one pictured on the car.
That tank actually angles towards the rear of the car causing an interferance with the tail pipe. The tank with the large elbo would likely not be a problem.
Thanks guys!
Pictures:

My B&B:

Even though the layout is different on the OBX tank, I think when it's all said and done, it fits the same. The overall tank length (just the cylinder) on the OBX is 4", the B&B is 5". I didn't measure the elbo dims. but I'll bring the tank with me to work in case you decide you want it shipped. I gots to leave for work...
Old 08-17-2007, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

measured it for you:
Old 08-17-2007, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Thanks! Great info!
Do you have a stock rectangular oil tank that you can set beside it, in the same plane, for a comparison? If you can do that I won't need to borrow it. I just need to see about how far it sticks out past where the stock unit sits.
The B&B unit that you pictured actually is cocked at an angle which causes the corner of the tank to protrude out into the tail pipe area.
I really appreciate the help.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Thanks! Great info!
Do you have a stock rectangular oil tank that you can set beside it, in the same plane, for a comparison? If you can do that I won't need to borrow it. I just need to see about how far it sticks out past where the stock unit sits.
The B&B unit that you pictured actually is cocked at an angle which causes the corner of the tank to protrude out into the tail pipe area.
I really appreciate the help.
Yes, I do have a "stock" scavenge tank. I think it's stored under the crawl space of my house with a bunch of other parts that have been removed from my car. This weekend I'll dig it out and snap a picture as you have requested.

BTW, I didn't realize that the B&B is cocked at an angle! I just assumed it was a basic cylindrical tank with a straight pipe attached to the top.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: