Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellcats521 View Post
OBX are 321 - I had them tested. That alone puts them on top of the 'off the rack' 930 headers IMO, but I'll also say that fitment was better than any B&B product (on ANY car, not just a Porsche) that I've seen.

I don't know what vertex/GSF/dansk stainless headers are made of - only the ghl's are also documented as a 'production' 321 stainless header.
That's good to know. I should also point out that some have suggested that because the exhaust port flange holes (where the exhaust studs fit) on OBX are drilled slightly too large, that this would cause exhaust leaks. I can say from experience with my daily driven car in 103 degree weather that mine have not leaked!!!! I haven't even had to snug up the nuts holding them to the heads! Even with my B&Bs, I had to snug up these nuts a time or two. So i think this idea of them loosening might be a theory?! Not to mention, there are other things helping to secure the headers: turbo support bracket, muffler hanger/bracket, etc. Also, the lack of heater boxes make the OBX, hella light weight!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
GSF header material

Regarding Albert's headers, this is what he wrote early on but this could have changed after he went into full production:

"I built the header system without the heater box.
material I used is the 304 stainless polished."

FWIW, I don't see 911/930 headers on his new site.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
I had major fittment issues with two different sets of GSF headers, returned them both and even asked for a partial refund. He has since "gone dark", no replies to numerous emails so figure you get what you pay for, I'm now leaning toward SSI's from RareyL8 or the B&B's, live and learn I guess
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 09-05-2007, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoats View Post
I had major fittment issues with two different sets of GSF headers, returned them both and even asked for a partial refund. He has since "gone dark", no replies to numerous emails so figure you get what you pay for, I'm now leaning toward SSI's from RareyL8 or the B&B's, live and learn I guess
I know that in the non-turbo Porsche world, the SSIs are legendary for quality and longevity. With M&K and RarlyL8 adapting the SSIs to properly fit our engines...they'll probably outlast your car. After my B&Bs bit the dust, I just couldn't afford another high-dollar set of headers...so I had to setlle for the "El Cheapo" OBX stuff.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 09-06-2007, 12:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I have thought often about the expensive overkill materials being used on my exhaust products and the SSIs.
The SSI units are made of 347 grade stainless. Nobody in the industry that I am aware of uses materials of that standard. The exhaust products are 321 which again is more resiliant than the standard 304.
They should outlast the cars they are installed on. The challenge is to make a product that can withstand all sorts of issues and applications, from mild to wild, from perfect running EFI to a completely worn out CIS.

With that being said, headers such as the OBX have their place. They cost about 1/3 what you will pay for SSI, B&B, GHL and other heat exchanger style units. Not everyone wants or needs the expensive systems and if your engine is in perfect tune they may not crack for many trouble free miles. Lots of variables and applications.

Fitment issues are a different subject. No excuse for that. You should be able to send them back for a fix, exchange, or refund if not damaged.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
This is Albert from GSF, the header is made in Taiwan as many computer hardware is made from. I could go to China to cut the prodution cost but I stay with the facotry I trust. one of the comapny send my header to China and copy it, the test you can do to the stainless steel pipe is cut it open. pure stainless steel takes longer time to cut. China stainless steel is easier to cut.
I cutted the sample pipe the factory used on the header for qulity control.
1989 930 EFI, DTA, Carrera intake, twinturbo,2x GT-35R.
1991 964 convertible, wide body conversion.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
To install the header with the fixed flange,

Rear bumper need to come off..takes about 25 minutes to take the rear bumper off.

Bolt on the turbocharger on the left header and prefit without the right header to clock the turbocharger. both side of the header need to go in at a same time, a extra helping hand will finish the installation faster........... This is the only way to install the header with fix flange.........
Old 09-11-2007, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by race911turbo View Post
To install the header with the fixed flange,

Rear bumper need to come off..takes about 25 minutes to take the rear bumper off.

Bolt on the turbocharger on the left header and prefit without the right header to clock the turbocharger. both side of the header need to go in at a same time, a extra helping hand will finish the installation faster........... This is the only way to install the header with fix flange.........
Thanks for posting the tip, Albert! Good to see you on here as there have been many discussions about these "lower priced" headers now flooding the market.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Hey, Albert!

Good to hear from you at this site.

You are the only guy that spent a lot of time talking me out of spending money, trying not to sell me stuff I don't need. I don't know how you stay in business that way!

I know other people will all have their own opinions, but I think you are the most honest guy that I have talked to.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
David

Don't modify it until you break it or need it, adding performance parts while other work is being done.
It is good to full throttle the 930, especially the 1976 3.0 930.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: