Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Got My Gsf Headers

Received my GSF headers today. I have to say value for money they are unbeatable. My brother-in-law is a pressure vessel welder and he reckons the welds are top-notch. And I have to say Albert is a truly excellent guy to do business with. He answered all emails promptly, let me know when and where my headers were and just an overall good bloke. 10/10 all round.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good to hear. Leaning that way myself.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Let us know how the flange bolts fit and how the overall fit is.

I will kick myself in the butt if they turn out to fit perfect because I bought B+B's. $$$$$$$$$.

I like Albert a lot, but some stories from one of our Porsche internet gurus scared me off from buying them....
Old 08-17-2007, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

mine fit perfectly I bought them a couple months ago. just enough extra power to make the clutch go tits up
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 08-17-2007, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I love mine too... I was very impressed the way they looked for what I paid.

84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 08-17-2007, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I installed my GSF headers a few weeks ago. I've ran them at the track for 1 day so far, and have 5 days coming up soon.

With only 1 day so far they are holding up well.

It was a tight fit getting them to install, but nothing too dramatic.

Clean them well if you buy them, and check the collector welds.
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 08-17-2007, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
Let us know how the flange bolts fit and how the overall fit is.

I will kick myself in the butt if they turn out to fit perfect because I bought B+B's. $$$$$$$$$.

I like Albert a lot, but some stories from one of our Porsche internet gurus scared me off from buying them....
I'm really surprised, DDDD! You seemed sold on GSF. The *ONLY* reason I ended up with OBX over GSF is that I happened to be on Ebay and stumbled onto them. The price was right, they responded right away, and were willing to ship them over night. Additionally, I didn't realize that GSF came without heat - after my poor experience with B&B heater boxes (I'm convinced it was the heater box design that caused the holes), I wasn't interested in trying heat, again. SO I grabbed them without doing any real research. I never heard anything bad about Albert and/or GSF...

I thought the flange issues were with OBX and not GSF.

B&B on the other hand...NOT IMPRESSED!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 08-18-2007 at 06:13 PM..
Old 08-18-2007, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
I'm really surprised, DDDD! You seemed sold on GSF. The *ONLY* reason I ended up with OBX over GSF is that I happened to be on Ebay and stumbled onto them. The price was right, they responded right away, and were willing to ship them over night. Additionally, I didn't realize that GSF came without heat - after my poor experience with B&B heater boxes (I'm convinced it was the heater box design that caused the holes), I wasn't interested in trying heat, again. SO I grabbed them without doing any real research. I never heard anything bad about Albert and/or GSF...

I thought the flange issues were with OBX and not GSF.

B&B on the other hand...NOT IMPRESSED!

I would have bought them and probably been happy but a guru at one of these boards put such a shadow of doubt in my mind about the flanges that I flinched.

I still think Albert is a great guy and really think that he is undercutting the insane ripoff Porsche prices on a lot of products.

As far as B+B headers, mine where a thing of beauty and the welds looked great. They also perform. And the flanges definitely fit, which is the seed of doubt that was planted in my head about GSF.

Sometimes you just have to trust your instincts, and I think I got one opinion too many, from a guy who is trusted and looked up to around here. This guy really stressed that he didn't like the GSF headers, in no uncertain terms, so I was really too cautious to buy them at the end.

But I am happy with the B+B's, so what the hell.

Albert is a cool guy however. And if anyone is concerned about money, they should try one of these cheaper header systems. Albert may be getting out of headers anyway because OBX is undercutting him, ironically...

If Dewolf likes his headers, than I probably should have just bought them....

$$$$$ down the drain.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
But I am happy with the B+B's, so what the hell.
You should be happy! The welds are a thing of beauty on the B&Bs. I think I pointed this out in one of my OBX threads. Not to mention, I think they're made in the USA! And as far as performance (custom built not withstanding), I think they're still considered the standard. They're just $$$$ and my experience with their customer service was abysmal. But in their defense, I was outside of the stated 2 year warranty...by 1 month. It's just for that kind of dough, they should have lasted longer, and if not, they should have stood by their product.

Enjoy them...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-18-2007, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I thought it was obx that had the problems & not gsf too!
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-19-2007, 02:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I really like the price of OBX and GSF, but my one and only major concern is bending/pushing up the hard oil line and securing it out of the way (See Red Arrow in Pic). I'm worried it'll create a leak or a crease somewhere along the oil line and hinder the oil flow. If that line gets damaged during installation now you've just spend the cost of GHL, B&B, etc. Something to keep in mind. It's too bad they didn't design the headers with that oil line in mind.
I'm actually in the market for some headers as we speak and I'm having a really hard time with this decision. I really like the price of these less expensive headers, but installation is kind of a cobble job.

Have any of you with OBX or GSF start having leaks after your installation? Does it really bend/crease that hard oil line? Is there any other 'strange' mods that have to do for installation.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I don't think putting a slight bend in the pipe is going to do anything unless you do kink it. Make it a gradual bend for best results.

With the GHL or B&B, they come with the hoses to backdate to the early style oil lines. The one you are referring to is removed and the oil line is routed under the front of the engine and to the passenger side near the engine oil cooler. Another hose screws on and takes it to the oil tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
I really like the price of OBX and GSF, but my one and only major concern is bending/pushing up the hard oil line and securing it out of the way (See Red Arrow in Pic). I'm worried it'll create a leak or a crease somewhere along the oil line and hinder the oil flow. If that line gets damaged during installation now you've just spend the cost of GHL, B&B, etc. Something to keep in mind. It's too bad they didn't design the headers with that oil line in mind.
I'm actually in the market for some headers as we speak and I'm having a really hard time with this decision. I really like the price of these less expensive headers, but installation is kind of a cobble job.

Have any of you with OBX or GSF start having leaks after your installation? Does it really bend/crease that hard oil line? Is there any other 'strange' mods that have to do for installation.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
GSF sells those braided hoses too.

They sell it for $100.00. http://www.goingsuperfast.com/Porsche-911-Turbo.html

1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

That's my engine pictured... my headers came with the oil line but I didn't think I needed to use it. Just pushed the stock oil line up and out of the way. No problem as of yet.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 08-19-2007, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post

Bill,

This is another nice way of running the oil pipe. Because my car came with B&B headers, I already had the flexible braided line, and mine runs under the engine/tranny bellhousing and then up to the oil t-stat in the passenger side rear fender. It's also never leaked (knock wood)

But this one runs from the case under the the bell housing:

And this one connects it to the t-stat in the rear fender

I think this is a clean way of doing it with "hard lines", and is on my list of things to do.

I'm sure you can get the parts from Pelican (and probably should, I would), but here's a link to more info:
http://pap-parts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=911%20107%20739%2010
http://pap-parts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=911%20107%20729%2010

Also, if I had it to do over, I would have bought the GSF headers. As I said, I'm perfectly happy with my OBX, but they were a bit of an impulse buy, as this is my daily driver, and I was down. I think Albert of GSF will help you put togther a nice install kit. The OBX only comes with the turbo drip tank...no other hoses or oil lines.

Last edited by sand_man; 08-20-2007 at 06:49 AM..
Old 08-20-2007, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
How do you know the difference between OBX and GSF headers? Can you tell by looking at them because I was under the impression they are all the same headers coming from the same base supplier.
Tell me if I am wrong.
Those headers do look nice though in the picture.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
How do you know the difference between OBX and GSF headers? Can you tell by looking at them because I was under the impression they are all the same headers coming from the same base supplier.
Tell me if I am wrong.
I think the difference is in the "quality control". While GSF and OBX Racing are probably using some of the same "off shore" manufacturers for production (as well as Schnele), Albert (GSF) is an actual enthusiast familiar with these particular engines/cars. OBX Racing on the other hand, could really careless what the hell you drive. They mass produce tons of headers for all sorts of import cars, not just Porsche engines. Thus I think GSF can offer a better product. Additionally, GSF can put together a nice install kit with all of the necessary oil lines and fittings; with OBX you really only get the headers and a drip tank.

OBX claims to be making their headers out of superior T321 stainless, I'm not sure if GSF uses this same material or T306 or T308???...also not sure if OBX is being honest, I never had the metal tested and there were no mill markings on the pipes.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info guys! I did however just pick up a set of GHL headers and muffler that I found in PP Classifieds. So I'm anxiously waiting for them.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
Tell me if I am wrong.
All these headers and also the Vertex/Danske headers, look a lot like the original and successful B+B style that has been around forever.

Albert says that he designed his set up and he is concerned about quality control. He is chinese and he uses factories in China, but he checks all his products personally for quality control.

Albert's claim is that OBX actually managed to simply use the mold Albert was using in the factory. The factory has the mold, and in Chinese tradition, simply let OBX make a million headers with the same mold.

Some people have had fit issues with OBX/GSF and others have not.

It may just be down to individual variations in your exhaust set up or how your turbo is installed or god knows what else.

That is the only reason I wimped out and bought the B+Bs.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

OBX are 321 - I had them tested. That alone puts them on top of the 'off the rack' 930 headers IMO, but I'll also say that fitment was better than any B&B product (on ANY car, not just a Porsche) that I've seen.

I don't know what vertex/GSF/dansk stainless headers are made of - only the ghl's are also documented as a 'production' 321 stainless header.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: