Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Archie,
There was a good discussion about water spray for the IC a while back on the renn forum and the conclusion was that it would be of no use when you needed it because the IC needs to be cooled down BEFORE you call for boost. Ergo, you will always be cooling the IC after you got boost unless you can anticipate when you will need it and apply the water then. Basically just cooling the IC is what everyone is trying to do and since it is metal and has a heat coefficient, you can figure out how much cooling it will take to bring it down so that the air charge is in the temp range you need. The best way would probably be a water jacket and radiator up front. Try a search for the discussion and maybe it will help.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

911rudy,
Yeah I see what you mean by needing to cool the intercooler before you hit boost.
I thought I would operate it manually, rather than using a boost or pressure switch, that way I think you could anticipate when to use it, like at a stop light or waiting for an opening in traffic to overtake a truck or a line of cars or something. Obviously, this would not be possible all the time but I reckon it could work alot of the time, similar maybe to folks introducing Nitrous when they needed it.
I removed my air-con and thought I could use that switch to activate it, would be a pretty cheap and easy thing to set up although I would have no real means of testing its effectiveness.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Me like track days

IC is already relatively cool before boost, so why pre-cool it?

As a real & practical example, MOTEC EFI setups have provisions for IC water spray when on boost, if that helps.

My 930 has a temperature probe on the inlet and outlet, and if I were to set mine up to spray, it would happen right as boost comes on - and for a bit afterwards to cool post-boost.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

If someone needs a C2 Turbo shroud....shoot me an Email. I have a spare ($30 shipped).

spauldi@gmail.com
Old 09-05-2007, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Here's another idea for cooling the boost. This winter when my car's off the road, I'm going to run the turbo oil line up through the front A/C condenser. I ripped out all the rest of my AC stuff because it didn't work worth ***** anyways. The fittings on the rad are the correct size, and I should be able to set the fan to a thermostat too.
This should also help when I'm stuck in traffic.
DB
'85 Euro issue
Old 09-10-2007, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully View Post
Here's another idea for cooling the boost. This winter when my car's off the road, I'm going to run the turbo oil line up through the front A/C condenser. I ripped out all the rest of my AC stuff because it didn't work worth ***** anyways. The fittings on the rad are the correct size, and I should be able to set the fan to a thermostat too.
This should also help when I'm stuck in traffic.
DB
'85 Euro issue
That ***MIGHT*** be one way of cooling the oil, but not boost. This is just effectively adding an oil cooler. I'm not really sure how well an AC condenser works for this (as opposed to a Mocal, Setrab, or some other oil cooler). I'm also not sure how good a job the stock turbo scavenge pump would do at pumping oil that far???
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I was thinking the same thing. That scavenge pump was designed to pull oil through the turbo bearings for a very short distance. I don't see how it can do the same thing with all of the extra distance plus the friction of the condenser as well. Also, the condenser tubes are pretty small for oil compared to a Seatrab of Mocal. I think if you are trying to cool the bearings at the turbo it would be easier to install a "T" fitting after the turbo sump tank and install a oneway check valve and an electric oil pump, that can be run independently of the motor running, and then back to the oil tank. This would let you cool the bearings after shutdown and prevent coking of the bearings. Adding a timer to this pump would be wise.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: