Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Intercooler shrouding

I noted on another thread that Rarly and Craig930RS emphasized the importance of having your cooler properly shrouded and that certainly makes sense, having most or as much of the air as possible pulled through the cooler.

I'm finishing off installing a Blownsix half-bay with headers, K27-7200, Borla and Tial and plan to ensure the deck lid is blocked off around the intercooler.

Just a slight concern I have is that ,if your cooler is nicely shrouded, the deck lid is blocked off, etc, won't that exacerbate the problem for the air intake being unable to get any 'cold' air and drawing even more hotter engine bay air?

I'm thinking about running some kinda plumbing from the intake of the (standard) airbox to a hole in the shrouding that would be fitted to the deck lid, so that the engine would always be getting outside 'cold' rather than engine bay air.
Would there be any merit in this idea or would it be a waste of time and therefore a load of bollocks?

Cheers
Archie
Old 08-18-2007, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Sounds a good idea to me!
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 08-19-2007, 01:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This cold air plumbing has been addressed in other posts, from the heat I feel inside my engine bay, it should make a difference. Keep in mind the potential for water intrusion if you direct air from the decklid.
Peugeot moped
Old 08-19-2007, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I am of a similar mind and have tried to come up with some way to get unheated air into the airbox. The thing about a tube directly to the airbox is the lack of ram air effect and the length of tube to reach the box. In most American cars where there is a cold air intake, they are designed to pick up the cooler air at the front of the car and when traveling at speed, would have a slight positive pressure upon reaching the airfilter. A tube through the engine bay would eventually get hot from the surrounding air. I have seen a small scoop placed on top of the whale tail with a tube to the air intake below. Maybe this would help with the long intake syndrom with no positive pressure. Another place for a scoop could be on the passenger side of the whale tail just below the black rubber lip. The best place for keeping the bay area clean and accessible would be on the car body on the passengers side at the rear of the side window. There have been some racers with this setup. I agree about the enormous heat in the engine area. Then throw in the A/C cond. and you have even more heat!
Old 08-19-2007, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
This is what I use in the winter. Notice there is no shrouding in the area closest to the air filter. This helps two fold, the air draw from the cooling fan is not restricted by what will pass through the intercooler, and that same overflow air path is drawn near the air filter on its way to the fan.

If your only choice is to allow air through the intercooler or to the air breather but not both it is always better to cool the intercooler. The air being sucked through the air filter ends up in the intercooler anyway so any help cooling the intercooler pays off.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I am seriously thinking about going with a GT rear wing from Getty, because the built in air ducts will force air into the engine bay and you can still totally shroud your engine grille area.

If you have a small to medium intercooler, the GT912 wing might fit. It is styled just like the later GT2 993 wings.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Something like this, horrible car I know, but look at the engine bay pic

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/PORSCHE/930/New%20South%20Wales/csn1281171.aspx
Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Example of an intercooler shroud.
You do not have to block off all incoming air to have an effective shroud.
E-man

Old 08-19-2007, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Me like track days

Shroud it with an appropriate sized 'notch' for the inlet.
Only thing better would be a dedicated grill opening & boxed enclosure for the filter -

Shroud and filter opening done perfectly by the P/O:

Old 08-19-2007, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the pictures fellas, been thinking about alot of possibilities and the set-ups that some of you guys are using.
I have an idea about modding my standard airbox, I'll post a pic or two when its done.

Cheers
Old 08-22-2007, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I like the work cover on the pic above. Where the heck do you get one of those? I always end up with grease smudges on the paint whenever I perform the requisite viewing/toying/obsessing in the engine compartment.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 08-22-2007, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

This guy has one for sale. they cost 115.00 new.

FS: 930 parts

They are definately handy
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 08-22-2007, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Installing a B6 intercooler?

Archie: I'm getting ready to do an install on the B6 half bay intercooler also...and would like to talk to you about how much trouble you might have had doing the install. I couldn't PM you becasue you have no contact ino....Do you have a contact point? If not, could you contact me at my email address of fishoncj@aol.com? I'd appreciate talking to you before I start putting it in. I'm also doing the Tial and Garrett turbo.

Chuck
Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

G'day Chuck, am installing it this week, can't see too many problems thus far but I'll let you know how it goes.
Will send you PM when I get it in.

Cheers
Archie
Old 08-27-2007, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

B6 Install

Thanks Archie....I look forward to hearing from you. Some of the guys have reported having a bit of difficulty doing the installs...whereas others seemed to think it went rather easily. I found another 930 shroud on eBay and bought it so if I have to trim the shroud a bit, I have another so that I can retro it to stock when the time comes.

chuck
Old 08-27-2007, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

You could also use a C2 turbo type system that has a shroud on intercooler and also vents dedicated for air to air box and engine.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

If any of you have the B&B or Kokeln IC's I used the OEM shroud and trimmed it to fit. It took a lot of trial and error but it turned out nice and clean.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Intercooler shroud

Rudy: Coincidence you mention using the OEM shroud....I just bought one on eBay so that I could trim it up and still have my original if I want to go back to strictly stock....thanks for the ideas.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

That was my old stock shroud!
Glad it is goign to good use.

E-man
Old 08-31-2007, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I purchased some stainless sheet metal and have gone the way of Rarly and Craig930, it should work really well, I will make sure the tinware around my new K27 is nicely sealed so the only path for the air to follow is through the intercooler.

Been thinking about a 'water mister', possibly a windscreen washer bottle with a fine mist nozzle positioned just above the 'intake' for the intercooler. I removed my air-con so could use the power from that and activate it using the switch.
I believe there could be some benefit introducing a fine spray into quite a fast airflow going through an intercooler,(assuming it is properly shrouded) especially if that fast airflow's pressure is decreased and cooling, wouldn't introducing rapidly evaporating fine water droplets help it cool faster? Any thoughts?

I wanted to mod the standard airbox but I'm not quite convinced it would be a success and besides there is still the fundamental problem of heatsoak.
Really like the BMC from Fabspeed but me being a Scot and therefore known to be somewhat 'careful' with money sometimes, $245 (300AUD) does seem like alot, might have to keep looking on ebay.

Chuck- got the cooler in, little bit of a kerfuffle but no major problems, does look good, will get some pictures and details to you.

Cheers
Old 08-31-2007, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: