Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Guy looking for a 930

Hi guys,
I am new here, been on rennlist for about a month. I am looking for a 930 for a winter project! Looks like this 930 forum is a little busier then the other one...

Anyways here is what I looked at today

First one I looked at was a 87' Black/Black 55k, for 39k...too expensive moved on, car dealer was snobby and wouldnt even give me the time of day..

Second one was a 79' Euro Green/camel with 54k for 25k. Took it for a ride and it felt like a real solid car. Has usual rock chips, all service records, (nothing major performed though ie, engine rebuild, turbo etc). Take a look at the pics, I think it has the wrong steering wheel maybe? Shifter knob looks wrong too also noticed the boost gauge didn't work. Does the car seem like a good deal though? Thanks, Matt

Last edited by mdurbahn; 03-04-2008 at 10:33 AM..
Old 08-19-2007, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The '79 looks like a great car at a great price. You'll want to make sure that you have a PPI done on it to make sure that there aren't any problems waiting for you. The steering wheel is correct for the year and model. The shifter is aftermarket. Non-functional boost gauge isn't anything to worry about, as they tended not to be the best anyway. With these few miles on it, it won't be suprising if you have some oil leaks, as the seals tend to dry out with lack of use.

Good luck!
David
1986 911 Turbo
Old 08-19-2007, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
that color is wicked, personally I would go for the euro model. I have a 80 and love it, classic auto!!!!!! Im not big on the US versions.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 08-19-2007, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I'm diggin that green, it's the original color of my 79 (I wish the previous owner repainted it that color) If you get the car I'd love to see more pics as my car is modified so I'm not sure how it "should" look.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Make sure the title is clear...its cheap for the miles..and is very clean...Check to make sure it is not salvaged..22K is a deal if not. Buy it..I would..
Old 08-19-2007, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Wow, that green is quite something. Very rare, I'd imagine.

I'm not an expert at all, but I've picked up a couple of things to look for (just purchased an M491).

The headlight sprayers are the correct '79 type, which is a good sign. However the box-rockers are after-market, as far as I know. I personally am not a fan, but they are easy to replace. It looks like there might be an after market front valance also. The main reason I bring this up is that mods like that seem to go hand-in-hand with repaints.

There's one other thing I noticed, which is the chrome trim on the rear-window. I might be wrong here, but I thought the side-windows had some chrome trim as well, if the car had chrome trim originally.

The unfortunate thing with 79 cars is that there's no way to trace the history through carfax (or so). So the mileage is harder to trace. I know this from experience; I bought a 52K 930 and after a while it became very evident that that was not the actual mileage.

All I can say is, take your time doing the inspection on these cars. They are valuable enough for people to put effort into hiding deficiencies. If you have a chance do a paint check with one of those devices that measures paint thickness, that's very useful. It will tell you if the car has hidden repairs.

With regards to the engine; I'm not sure how one really determines the state of a '79 Turbo engine. Some people seem to think that a leak-down is a pretty good indication. But at $22K for a 930 you can't expect too much ;-)

Cheers! Mickeysoft
Old 08-19-2007, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: