Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Big Reds Upgrade - A "Slow'N'Rusty" Pictorial

Well Gang *finally* got my Big Reds upgraded in the front *only* with new 993TT rotors. This is a project I pieced together and took much longer than I thought it would, due to the fact that some idiot before me (who worked on the car prior to my ownership) had rounded off the inner portion of the 10mm Hex bolt on one of the calipers and I had weld the socket to the bolt. Then tightening \ torquing the aluminum hat to the 993 TT rotor, I was rushing and the torque wrench slipped and I had to be rushed to hospital and got 5stitches on my pinky finger, from slicing it open against the sharp edge of the new rotor (out of comission for 2 weekends on that stupid error!), also chipped the bone too on the joint...nice one!

I also completely refinished and repainted the 993 calipers with high temp paint and painted the "PORSCHE" logo as well, so more time there. A week there or so.

I also had custom "DOT" front stainless braided brake lines made for me for the front (that took another week).
In the rear I installed a set of DOT rear braided steel lines I bought from Pelican. At the same time I installed new Zimmerman rotors and shoes for the e-brake and PBR Axxis pads in the rear. In the front I am using EBC Red Stuff pads.

With my 17" HRE wheels I could easily run a 335mm rotor in diameter. The 993 TT rotors I am running are 321mm in diameter versus 303mm for the stock 930 rotors. The 993TT rotors are also thicker have a better vain design for cooling and have a much larger pad contact area. They also only 2.5lbs heavier than the stock 930rotor (16.5lbs vs 14lbs).

Ok enough blabbing...here are the pics...

993 TT Calipers when I first bought them (came off a race car):

After I refinished them:

993 TT Rotor left vs 930 Stock Rotor:

Differences in diameter and weight respectively:
993 TT Rotor:

Stock 930 Rotor:

Differences in pad respectively, the 993 TT pads have a much larger surface area and do not have the wear indicators like the 930 pads, so my dash on my light is now always "on" (might have to pull the bulb)

Stock 930 brakes, still impressive:

But these are the "daddy":

I finished everything tonight at 9pm after 2+ hours of bleeding!! Thought it would never end and buttoned everything up, and took the car for a much deserved drive, the pedal feels excellent, but I will re-bleed on Staurday as I still feel there might be a few straggler bubbles in the system. I am running ATE Blue brake fluid. If you guys want better daylight pics and some pics of the custom front braided lines please let me know and I will snap a few.

Total cost of the entire project:
1) Big Red 993 TT Calipers with 930 caliper \ hub mounts - bought used
2) 993 TT rotors & aluminum hats - bought used not many miles on them
3) New 993 TT EBC "Red" pads
4) New Zimmerman rear calipers
5) New Rear Axxis PBR pads
6) New Rear brake shoes
7) New Front and Rear DOT approved braided steel brake lines
8) ATE Brake Fluid
Total: $1970

Best Regards - Yasin
Old 08-21-2007, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Where the pad wear indicators plug into the wiring harness, I cut it off and spade connected the two wires together so that later, if need be, I could re-connect the wear indicators. No more dash lite.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Me like track days

How's the brake bias feel under hard braking?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The bed in procedure for those EBC red pads are "normal" driving for up to 1,000miles, so to answer your question Craig, I have not done any heavy braking to reserch the bias. So far from my brief 30mile drive lastnight, the brakes feel much better than the stock brakes that were on the car, by this I mean, absolutely stout pedal feel and very good braking performance thus far.

So the sad truth is that it could take 2years before I drive the 1,000miles in this car, so I'll check back in 2009 or 2010.

Regards - Yasin
Old 08-22-2007, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
So the sad truth is that it could take 2years before I drive the 1,000miles in this car, so I'll check back in 2009 or 2010.

Sounds like you need to do a road trip!
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 08-22-2007, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Me like track days

Good grief, the 1,000 mile requirement for a brake pad is ridiculous.

Typically pads need this, albeit at the track I presume:

3-4 stops with light to medium brake pressure from approximately 90 to 65
300 to 400 yards between stops

One stop with medium to heavy brake pressure without allowing the brakes to lock from 110 MPH to 65 MPH. Recovery stops with light brake pressure 2-3 times. Repeat the high speed stops, including recovery stops, 1-2 times.
Allow a cooling-off distance of approximately 500 m (500 yards) between high speed stops.
-------
At any rate, you now will have a heavy front bias - just be aware of that -
Old 08-23-2007, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

On the track (assuming you track) or in a very high speed hard stop I would be willing to bet that you are going to lock those fronts up in the blink of an eye.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: