Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Moans like a $10 whore.

I have some moaning coming from the right front "A" arm bushing area and was wondering if there is an easy way to get some sort of lube into that area short of taking it apart. I could not find any zerk fittings on any of the bush areas. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
sounds like a wheel bearing to me .
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What does a $10 whore sound like?

I welded up a front crossmember for Chris Bennett cause he said that is the fix for a front end noise. What noise I don't know. I will e-mail this thead to him and maybe he can say if that is the "whore moan" fix.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Moaning sounds more like a wheel bearing but I suppose the control arm could make a slow squeak - like a ship groaning noise.

If the torsion torsion bar in control arm is rubbing, it will make s squeaky bed noise (silent $10 whore noise?).

Grease will only make it quiet for a little while.
New bushings won't fix it in my experience.

The bar is centered in the control arm by the adjuster cap. The steel cap rides in and on the aluminum control arm. Over time the cap rubs a groove into the softer aluminum. When it rubs far enough, the bar doesn't ride in the center of the control arm "tube" and allowing the bar to rub something inside the control arm. That rubbing makes your squeak noise.

You can fix it two ways; add a little weld to the bottom of the adjuster cap to raise it up and recenter the torsion bar or fill in the groove in the aluminum cross member. Usually you just add material to the cap but if you've got the cross member off the car anyway and you know someone like Dean (a welding artiste) you can weld up the cross member. I would not weld up the cross member while it is in the car. The gas tank is right behind it.

Once you hear the creaking, the torsion bar has started rubbing and rusting where it rubs. Take it out and clean off the rust on the bar (the closer to a polished finish the better) and regrease it or paint it if you're ambitious.

-Chris
Old 08-25-2007, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Actually, for the record Dean,, you don't get much sound out of a $10 whore, I've heard you need to pay some real money to get them to say much at all..... for $100 they will scream all night !
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 08-25-2007, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I didn't add that I have coil overs on all four wheels but it looks like it is the rubber bushings. I have ordered a set of poly-bronze from Pelican/Elephant and they are guaranteed not to moan for any price. I'll let you all know what happens.
PS
A $10 whore moans real loud because its the only way she can advertise and she needs a lot of business at $10 a pop.

Last edited by 911rudy; 09-03-2007 at 10:36 PM..
Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: