Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Angry I expect Ford and Chevy trucks to ride my ass but ...

... this evening a new Z06 Corvette comes up and rides my butt while I am passing a truck in the right lane. I am cruzing about 10 over the limit already, but I finally signal and move over as the guy flies on past me .... I couldn't help but think the guy doesn't like Porsches in the way of his overweight looking Corvette

I just can't get into the C4, C5 and C6 Corvettes. If they didn't look so FAT and had some character to them, maybe it would be different. ..... now if it were a 67 427 coupe, that would be another story.

By the way, the car is running great !! The axles didn't fly off all night and the engine is running smooth as glass ! My steering wheel is loose now .... up and down.... that's the next thing to fix.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx1 View Post
... this evening a new Z06 Corvette comes up and rides my butt while I am passing a truck in the right lane. I am cruzing about 10 over the limit already, but I finally signal and move over as the guy flies on past me .... I couldn't help but think the guy doesn't like Porsches in the way of his overweight looking Corvette

I just can't get into the C4, C5 and C6 Corvettes. If they didn't look so FAT and had some character to them, maybe it would be different. ..... now if it were a 67 427 coupe, that would be another story.

By the way, the car is running great !! The axles didn't fly off all night and the engine is running smooth as glass ! My steering wheel is loose now .... up and down.... that's the next thing to fix.
I agree, I can't find anything appealing about any Vettes since the 1980's 'new' design. I don't care if they made a fast one or not, I just don't get any emotional response to them at all.

I also don't like fat new Porsches either.....

I guess I need a car with character more than ultimate functionality.

Much as a 930 can be a pain in the ass, it still is the car I want.

Yeah, maybe you should tighten your steering wheel.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not big on Corvettes either, but I guess if you want speed on a budget, it's not a bad way to go.

When I drive in an anti-social way through a group of cars, I look for the fastest to prod into getting things going. I imagine he thought you were that car. Whether I'm going 55 or 100, I give way to the guy on my bumper.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey.. I thought 67 was the last year they made Corvettes?! ;-)
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Yeah, I don't really mean to knock on the Corvettes....maybe it's just the American Iron only redneck syndrome that is apparent at and around certain car gatherings. ( we were both leaving a car show ).

You hardly ever see vintage 930s prowling about. .... maybe the Vette guys feel threatened for some weird reason?

Last edited by Maxx1; 08-27-2007 at 05:44 PM..
Old 08-27-2007, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Common Maveric, engage!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I find it to be a compliment that new Vette owners want to have a quick race. They see a 20 year old car as fair game. Nothing wrong with that. I think they all read all the magazines back in the 80's and remember it to be one of the few sub 5.5 sec 0-60 cars of the time.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I must differ here. I have NEVER been a Corvette fan in any way shape or form, but I have driven the new C6 Z06 car and it is to say the very least an INCREDIBLE performer!!! Handling and power were the focus on this one guys. P cars beware, the Z06 for some of our cars could be a P car killer!

I love the car!...........................For a domestic!

Just my .02

Preparing for my flame session.........
Old 08-28-2007, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
The day I picked my 930 up (a couple years ago), I drove it 600 miles home. The first interesting car I came across was a Star Spangled Banner-liveried Viper. He gave me an energetic thumbs up, and I returned the same. Later on, I passed a yellow C5. Typical baby-boomerish age of the owner, with wife in passenger seat. He gave me a smile and wave, albeit with not as much enthusiasm as the Viper guy. Either way, no ego, no racing, no intimidation. Everyone just enjoying interesting cars on the open road.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I can't knock the new vettes with the visible headlights. I sat in one recently in the Chevy showroom while my Tahoe was getting serviced, and I admit to some mental flirtation with swinging the payments. But sanity prevailed, and my 930, which has been worth about 30k for the last 10 years, will watch that vette on the way down past 30k in no time at all.
But I would love to beat the piss out of one of them if I ever hooked up with one.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumba11 View Post
I must differ here. I have NEVER been a Corvette fan in any way shape or form, but I have driven the new C6 Z06 car and it is to say the very least an INCREDIBLE performer!!! Handling and power were the focus on this one guys. P cars beware, the Z06 for some of our cars could be a P car killer!

I love the car!...........................For a domestic!

Just my .02

Preparing for my flame session.........

Oh, I wasn't debating the performance .... what is it, like a 12.0 sec 1/4 mile, 0-60 in the mid 3s ? ... I would love my 930 to approach those numbers!

.... it was more the attitude and from a car that to me are nothing special to look at considering they are all over the place.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Then there is always the possibility that he simply didn't pay anymore attention to you than you did those mustangs that found themselves in your way on numerous ocations...

Personally, I love the new vet. They look good, are reasonably priced, and run like a bat out of hell. Never had one of my own but I have run around the track with them more than once and they are pretty damned strong. I know my 930 wasn't going to keep up with them, that's for sure.
2006 - M5 BMW - (daily Driver)
2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 08-28-2007, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Vettes give me a very deep feeling of.....

I work on all cars and can appreciate them, but when someone tries to tell me that a new GM product is "good" my stomach starts to churn.

If anyone is to talk to me about domestic cars, the only word I want to hear are words like "Hemi 426", "Chevelle", or "572 Bow tie crate motor"
Or just simply "tub-it, big block"
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 08-28-2007, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-R View Post
Vettes give me a very deep feeling of.....

I work on all cars and can appreciate them, but when someone tries to tell me that a new GM product is "good" my stomach starts to churn.
Woah....Nowhere in my post did I say this was a "good" GM product. I've been boycotting GM since the middle 80's. I do believe that they have made some positive progress working on the things that I hated about the company, such as their piss poor customer service, undependable cars, and complete lack of corporate accountability. But all that aside, the new Vet is a pretty bad car and IF I were to purchase a GM product, this would probably be the one.
2006 - M5 BMW - (daily Driver)
2006 - F250 turbo diesel
Old 08-29-2007, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I didn't say that you said they were good, and I hear you on boycotting them. Some people that I know just don't stop telling me how great a corvette is and it makes me sick. I love them as performance cars but other than that I think they are entirely too cheep. Nobody can tell me different when I have driven, modified, and maintained multiple vettes of all years.
I would take a 427' split window without too much protest though...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 08-29-2007, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yea, I use to have a neighbor with a 63 split window. That thing was bad arse!

'86 930 Turbo
'03 996TT - Gone, but not forgot!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
I didn't say that you said they were good, and I hear you on boycotting them. Some people that I know just don't stop telling me how great a corvette is and it makes me sick. I love them as performance cars but other than that I think they are entirely too cheep. Nobody can tell me different when I have driven, modified, and maintained multiple vettes of all years.
I would take a 427' split window without too much protest though...

Yeah, the 63-67 are the Vettes to own if you are going to do it. 427s only came in the 66-69 years. The 66-67 427 4 speeds are probably the coolest models of all time. I think my favorite would be a 66 Big block coupe with factory sidepipes

I owned a 70 350-350hp 4 speed and it was a cool looking car except it rattled and squeaked like crazy .... plus the frames on those models were weak and rotted out easily.

Maybe I would change my mind about Corvettes if I drove a new Z06, but I just couldn't deal with the looks of the thing ..... it's not a bad looking car in any way, but just too cookie cutter looking for me.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, the 63-67 are the Vettes to own if you are going to do it. 427s only came in the 66-69 years. The 66-67 427 4 speeds are probably the coolest models of all time. I think my favorite would be a 66 Big block coupe with factory sidepipes

I owned a 70 350-350hp 4 speed and it was a cool looking car except it rattled and squeaked like crazy .... plus the frames on those models were weak and rotted out easily.

Maybe I would change my mind about Corvettes if I drove a new Z06, but I just couldn't deal with the looks of the thing ..... it's not a bad looking car in any way, but just too cookie cutter looking for me.
I have always liked the Stingrays, but from the 80's on, Vettes are just cookie cutter.

My car is a Hot Rod. Every place I go, my car is instantly the center of attention. People simply stop what they are doing to look at my Porsche 930.

I can't get gas without getting involved in a conversation anymore.

People on their lawn stop what they are doing and rubber neck.

I feel like I am converting a whole generation of children to Porsche.

I really just can't find any reason to own a new car of any type.

Do I really need more performance? What would that get me when I have a total package that creates a scene just by showing up?

People drive older cars for a reason. They are COOL.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Blackbird Pilot

Amen DDDD....amen. Just think, you may be influencing a future automotive designer...
Old 08-30-2007, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper930 View Post
Amen DDDD....amen. Just think, you may be influencing a future automotive designer...
Don't get me wrong, either, I hope that everybody with a 930 feels that way about their car, not just me.

And from what I hear, most 930 owners all seem to get the same rubber necking!

You can't buy that kind of cache at a GM dealer for twice the money.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: