Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 transpolant into 911?

Can anyone advise me if there are any fitment problems in using a 79 930 engine and transmission in a 77 911 coupe chassis?
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rear engine mounts need to be moved back in order to fit long bellhouse transmission. 75-77 gearbox can be bolted directly though. You'll need Carrera axles as SC CV's have smaller diameter and twin fuel pumps from 930. You'll need 930 shifter cluster as well.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
and twin fuel pumps from 930.
Or you can use a single Bosch 044 motorsport pump in the stock (front) location, if you don't happen to have the 930 pumps...

I had no flow or pressure issues with the stock pump and the 930, but replaced/upgraded it on general principles - I think it was original...
Old 08-27-2007, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your advice!
I came across some other information that indicated that the best way to use a long bell housing transmission in a 911 was to machine it down into a short bell housing...so it would fit OK.
Is this better/easier than trying to move the engine mounts? The advantages seem to be that you could avoid cutting up the body, and you don't move the center of gravity any further back in the car. Any comments?
Those of you that have modified the motor mounts, did you have to cut and move the mounts in the car, or just modify the cross member to move the engine back?
Thanks again for your advice.
Don
Old 08-30-2007, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

To move the motor back you mod the rear engine mount. You don't need to mod the body mounts
Old 08-31-2007, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsdoc View Post
Thanks for your advice!
I came across some other information that indicated that the best way to use a long bell housing transmission in a 911 was to machine it down into a short bell housing...so it would fit OK.
That's my understanding of what you need to do; shorten the bell housing and the input shaft, IIRC. Think the latter requires machining and then re-hardening.

Quote:
Is this better/easier than trying to move the engine mounts? The advantages seem to be that you could avoid cutting up the body, and you don't move the center of gravity any further back in the car.

Any comments?
Although moving the CoG backwards definately seems like the wrong thing to do, ask yourself how far it's going? It's about 1 inch, right? Really think you'll ever notice that?

However, when all the little things that don't make much difference on their own (intercooler, turbo/plumbing, tail, 930 box etc. etc.) get added up it cumulatively makes a difference. And it's all in the wrong place, too...

I'd argue that you're building a hot rod anyway, and building a 930 out of the 911 is the wrong way to go - starting with a 930 roller would be a cheaper/better way, if that's where you wanted to end up?

So, uprate the TBs and the brakes (3.2 brakes are cheap/light and work fine for the street), use a 915, keep it narrow-bodied and as light as possible, put SC flares on it and squeeze some bigger tires in, maybe some bolt-ons to reduce lag, breathe better & keep safer.

You end up with a car that looks like an SC but has about 6.5 # per HP, and the 5-speed gives eyebrow-raising acceleration all the way to redline in top.

Of course, it's your money...
Old 08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Although moving the CoG backwards definately seems like the wrong thing to do, ask yourself how far it's going? It's about 1 inch, right? Really think you'll ever notice that?
With my conversion I had to move my motor back 5/8". I don't notice it.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for everyone's advise.
I have a few other questions for those of you that have done this before.
I have seen anywhere from 5/8 inch to 1.5 inch needed to move the motor back..is this variation due to some play in the transmission mount that allows some squiggle room or just due to variations in the body structure?
DId anyone have to modify the engine sheet metal to get a good seal, or any other structures...cables, lines, etc to hook everything up?
Thanks again for your input.
Don
Old 09-02-2007, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

One other thing...
Did anyone have any clearance problems with the pulleys, belts, or air conditioner compressor?
Thanks..
Don
Old 09-02-2007, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I put my tranny as close to the torsion tube as possible. The motor ended up 5/8" to the rear. Maybe other trannys would be different. Moving the motor back was a little more work than I thought it would be. If I were going to do another G50 conversion, I would use coil overs.

I had to mod the front and rear tins. I also had to mod the turbo comp. intake tube. I need a really shallow socket to get at the fan nut. I don't have A/C.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: