Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thumbs up New 4 post lift!

I just installed this lift with the help of a couple of Pelican's OhHaha and Mike Pillay and a neighbor. I couldn't have done it without you guys! Thanks!

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Direct-Lift-Pro-Park-7-p/tppro-park7.htm

It's tight, but it fits...

Old 08-27-2007, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Holy crap!
Just a little tight eh? I was wondering where your door was until I scrolled down to the second pic. I think some explaination of how this all came to be is in order.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That is tight. You have to pull your ramps to close the door. How do you like the Liftmaster side pull? They are really cool. I just had a few installed in a clients house.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Jeez Bill, you would have thought you'd have cleaned the belly of the 930 before posting pics.

Looks good.

Guys, this lift is very heavy duty and well made. Except for a little confusion with 4 of us reading the instructions, it went up pretty easily.

We even set up the heavy bits of Bill's neighbor's lift in about an 2 hours that day.

Wayne
Old 08-28-2007, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Here's a quick write up I did last night. It's still a work in progress so don't nail me on spelling or grammar...

4 Post Lift installation
Direct Lift Pro Pak 7

Before mine or Randyís lift could be installed we needed to get some prep work done first. First things first, we needed to clean out the garage and make room for this thing. Secondly is making sure you have ceiling height and donít forget about the garage door. Thanks to Bruce Pigozzi for the tip to go with Cawford door. They were great to work with. So we had Crawford door come out and re-do our doors to make the track up higher then tight to the ceiling. We also removed the standard chain drive opener and had them replace it with a side mount (Jackshaft) opener. Lastly, we added some fluorescent lights to give us more light around our lift. After running all the wiring, switch and outlets the garage is now ready for the lift. A few days later we called and placed our order.

Friday 8-24-07:
You must have a fork lift to remove from shipping truck or some other lift or pulley system. I had permission to ship it to a local business that had a forklift. Then with the help of Bill Schellburg we went to pick up the lifts with his truck and 18í car hauler trailer. Weather was pretty good but there was a little sprinkle while it was being forked on the trailer. All tied down it was time to head to the house. He backed it in to the garage and we start to cut the band ties to remove the jacks from the pallets on top. First thing we had to take off the trailer had to weigh close to 300lbs. To get the jacks off we ended up using a heavy duty hand truck and some boards. Next we started to remove the bolts that hold one of the runways on. This was just too heavy for Bill and I to get. I then enlisted the help of a neighbor and between the three of us we were able to slide it off the trailer onto the garage floor. Next the columns came right out along with the cross bars and other small parts. Those were easy. Last to come off was the other runway. This one wasnít as heavy as the other one because it didnít have the hydraulic cylinder mounted in it. The three of us could get that out relatively easily. Then we took Randy Doineís lift over to his house and left it on the trailer. This whole process took around 5hrs. Then it rained really hard. At least we didnít have to work in the rain.

Saturday 8-25-07:
The weather was beautiful. Randy showed up early and we turned the runways and set the cross bars. Then Mike Pillay and Wayne Walter showed up to give us a hand. We installed the runways, cables, pump, and release linkage. It sounds easy but let me assure you it wasnít. It was a lot of work. I didnít have enough room to slide in a long release rod so the whole lift had to turn enough to get it in there. It took all of us to slide it enough. Then we thought lets put the castor kit on and roll it back. Great idea, except how are we going to lower it to the ground. Wayneís side lowered at a different rate then my side and WATCH OUT it slipped off my jack and BANG! Fortunately no one got hurt, but now itís on the castors. Tip for next time is to put the castors on LAST like the instructions said. We have directions? Anyways, we rolled it back to where it is going to sit. Filled it with AW32 hydraulic fluid and bled the pump. Sent up the lift a couple of times adjusting the releases and cables until it was pretty close. Now itís going on three oí clock and of course we need to get Randyís off the trailer and in his garage today. Sigh. I can do final adjustments later, so off to Randyís while we still had plenty of manpower.

The lift is on the trailer just like Bill and I parked it yesterday. The four of us donít waste any time and we start tearing into it. This time though we were smarter with the way it came off and where to put the parts because we learned on mine earlier that day. By the time we started taking parts off the trailer we were all well seasoned lift professionals. At least thatís what we thought. Anyways the one ramp came off spun around for proper placement. The columns came off the trailer and place in the right spot. Not like mine when I had to move the columns all around. The cross bars came off the trailer and right into the columns. I still recommend measuring the distance so itíll drop right in instead of just guessing. Guessing takes too much time holding one end over your head until the column is in place. The next ramp came off and put on the floor. Mike had to leave but we talked Wayne into staying a little while longer to get the big parts in place. We got the ramps installed and the pump on and now it was going on 6:30pm or so. We left Randy and called it a day. Wayne went home I had dinner and finished up the minor adjustments on my lift and it was all set by about 11-12pm. Meanwhile Randy installed the cables, release pulls, hydraulic lines and fluid. His was up and running also.

Sunday 8-26-07:
Randy started early on Sunday to get his lift adjusted. I showed up to his place around 1pm to give him a hand finishing it up. He had recruited a neighbor of his sometime during the day. Never hurts to have people around even if they just hand you tools. We lifted his jacks in place and put in the drip and jack trays. By 2:30pm we had his car going for a ride on the lift. We ended up leaving him around 3pm with just tools and bubble wrap to be picked up. He still has a couple of minor things he has to finish up but they work SWEET!
Old 08-28-2007, 02:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Do you mind sharing your ceiling height? I'm considering doing the same setup (with a black 930 no less)

One more thing- you didn't have to cut the floor and pour footers for the posts? I thought that was a requirement for these lifts.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"I wuz the liquor..."

HOLY CRAP, Bill!!! That's AWESOME! I love that Subie!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-28-2007, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Bill, only u can do that.

Congratulations and enjoy it!
Old 08-28-2007, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Unless the local codes require footers you don't need them. Mine sits on a 3" thick slab. I did install concrete anchors and bolt it down. I could slide the empty lift around pretty easy. Living in earthquake country I also added a diagonal strap on the long side and installed plates (like the end plates) on the inside of the drive on ramps at the wheel locations so the car can't slide off the side. I also notched the inside of the drive on ramps so I could drop the engine.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Very nice!! Yes what is the ceiling height?
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 08-28-2007, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys! Yup, I'm liking it! I do have to remove the ramps every time I close the door so I'm working on a solution to that today. I don't know if I can figure it out or not yet, but I'm going to try.

The ceiling height is 10ft. I still have about 2-3in above where I need to release it.

Lastly, the floor was NOT modified at all for this lift.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

WCC,

Great job. I am in the very same position with my new house. I am about to order a new 4 post lift for my 930 and need to raise the door as you did. Could you give specific as to how you did it, what you needed to replace, how much ceiling height you gained and what I should expect to pay? Thank you. PM me if you prefer.

Todd
Old 08-29-2007, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
Bill great write up!

Can you PM me with the company you bought the lift from (ok edited to say ignore this, I see the link) I am about ready to order a Bendpak, but I like the looks of yours. ALso, what is the distance between the saftey stops on the lift? Are you running it on 110 or 220?

I have a little over 11 foot ceilings, and my garage is double deep on one side (making a 2 car garage into a three) and I am going to lift my Mustang and park the turbo on the ground underneath it.

Once again, great stuff. I am excited to see it work on a 10 foot ceiling, it eases my mind.

Thanks again.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.

Last edited by BSiple; 08-29-2007 at 10:19 AM..
Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

[QUOTE=wcc;3448469]
It's tight, but it fits...

That's what she said! sorry... I can't help myself.

Really though, NICE set up Bill! can I rent that space? !? hahaa

Last edited by Rory Mckenna; 08-29-2007 at 11:01 AM..
Old 08-29-2007, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rory - Funny!

BSiple - The lift stops are here: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TPPRO%2DPARK7&Show=TechSpecs
and I'm running 110v. I think with your extra ceiling height you shouldn't have a problem. Talk to Grant Smith over there he's easy to work with.

57_300SL - PM Sent..
Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Excellent, thanks Bill. I definitely like the price better.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Bill,
Glad you got all the kinks worked out. Also that Randy's is up and running.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Man thats beautiful! I had to go with a scissor lift because of my ceiling height but I sure like the extra space that thing gives you. Good job.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Beautiful Bill. That's an awesome setup, congratulations.
2003 KX250 X2(I like my toys!!)
Old 09-05-2007, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
OK, I just ordered mine, will be here next Thursday....

Old 09-07-2007, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: