Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'87 oil cooler fan not working?

I have a all stock '87, notice the temp gauge reach to almost the top white mark when I am in city driving and I also found the cooling fan was not on, is it normal? Please tell me how to check and fix it.

Thanks, Yahow
Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

Can you be more specific about which white mark? Also, if you look into the oil temp gauge, there are numbers in celcius...I think the left hand portion of the bezel covers them...you really have to lean over and look into the gauge at an angle...it's helpful to point a flahlight. Mine rarely gets above 200F...usually stays around 190F. I've never had the fan come on. I think the thermostatically controlled switch is set pretty high before enaging the fan...not sure what the number is. Some have installed a lower temp. switch while others have installed a manually controlled toggle switch to activate the fan.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-29-2007, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

read the bentley for which fuses to cross to hear it run.
In stock form mine never came on in louisiana heat. Even after putting in the bmw 99c sensor I never heard it. What I did though was put a blanket over the rear lid and turn the ac on, (when I use to have ac), and wait, and sure enough it comes on. The reading on the stock gauge when the fan actually starts is suprisingly high. Just make sure it works and be happy.
Get the number gauge and matching sender if you're anal about things.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys for all your advice I will check it out.

Yahow
Old 08-29-2007, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I could not get mine to turn on so I hot wired the two wires coming into the trunk and it worked fine. Thought about a manual override but my oil temp never goes above 210.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rudy, thanks for the advice, do I hook the wire directly to the battery to test the fan? The numerical temp gauge kit is not available from Pelican, do anyone knows where else I can get one?

Thanks, Yahow
Old 09-05-2007, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I got mine from North Hollywood Speedometer in California. You can Google the name to get the exact address. They do good work and be sure that you get the matched temp sender with their unit so it will be perfectly calibrated. They made a boost gage form my clock hole which is real accurate.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Rudy, I will check with with them.

Yahow
Old 09-05-2007, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: