Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oil in turbo tube?

Hi all.

Great website. Long term reader, 1st time poster

After pulling the intercooler off after a fresh rebuild (1,000 mi ago)
I'm finding motor oil in the lip of the turbo tube right where the intercooler slips
in.
Is this normal or am I losing the seals in my turbo?

Mark
Old 08-29-2007, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Mas88,

I found the same thing in mine everytime I took the IC off also. If your tubo isnt leaking from the packing on your intake side it was introduced from the sump vent. Did you ever put to much oil in it? Only other place it can come from? I think... Does your engine smoke after start up? at strange times?

Bob
Old 08-29-2007, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Robert,
Thanks for the reply.
Never put too much oil in it.
It may smoke a little after I first start it, which I heard is normal, but nothing recognizable when driving. It has used 2+ quarts of oil since the rebuild, about 1,200mi.
I guess I shouldn't sweat it and just have fun with my new P-car.

Mark
Old 08-30-2007, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Mark,
Try running the engine at about 1500 RPM for about 30 seconds before shutting off the engine. I have heard the turbo sump pump gears wear over time and lose their effectiveness over the years. I hear there is no turbo sump evacuation at idle because of this. I tried it with my 930 and there is virtually no smoke at startup any time.
Your oil consumption is on the high side, but then it is a rebuilt engine. If it continues with that type of consumption after 3000 miles, something is wrong and should be inspected by the rebuilder. I rebuilt my engine and it consumes 1 quart every 2000 miles after things settled in.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Dave,
Will do.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Is there an easy way of checking the oil sump pump to make sure it is functioning properly? I would like to make sure that it works because I have the same issues.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Everytime I pull the IC, I see the oil in the Up Tube. Mutiple sources have told me it is normal. I ported and polished the up tube and the inside of the Stock IC and that seems to have reduced the amount of oil that make it up the pipe.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 08-31-2007, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I wonder how much oil are engines are eating because of this. My oil consumption has always been a little high. I just installed a new turbo so I will be removing the IC soon to change my BOV gaskets. I'll give a report on the findings.

Bob
Old 09-03-2007, 02:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Bob.
Also, what turbo did you install?
I'm still in K26 land.
Mark
Old 09-03-2007, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Mas88s,

A K27HFS I bought from Imagine Auto. It spools at 2800 RPM's and pegs my boost gage @ .8 bar with a 1 bar spring...????(Haven't figured out why yet) The gage may be very inaccurate. The car seems to have more power. think I have a leak somewhere in the intake system. Thats why I may replace those BOV gaskets (Bypass valve)..It has been warm in So-Cal so I haven't been pushing the car. I installed two oil coolers yesterday to control Oil Temp.

Thanks

Bob
Old 09-03-2007, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Robert.
My car used to stall at red lights until I replaced the o-rings at the intercooler.
Good luck with your reseal and thanks for the help.
Mas88s
Old 09-04-2007, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: