Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Greg

I joined the revolution

Greetings,

Have been lurking for some time now and took the plunge. I bought a 1979 930 from the second owner. The car is not currently running (reflected in the price) but the body is excellent, interior serviceable and has the factory boxed rockers and airvent quarters in guards red. Also came with a bunch of spares, 2 turbos, an exhaust, misc engine parts and a rebuild transimission (with the receipt for over $4K) as well as rebuilt pedals and a rebuilt motor...keep reading

The P.O. stated the engine was rebuilt by the porsche club in West Chester PA as a group project over 2 1/2 years ago and ran well. At the time of the rebuild, new Mahl heads and pistons were installed (have the old ones also), Raceware head bolts installed, crank redone and all new bearings installed. The car also has the turbo valve covers installed. Also, stainless exhaust and heater boxes installed and a stainless muffler. The tensioner was not updated at the time. According to the PO, he was driving the car and heard a rattling sound, like chains being dragged and shut the car down and didn't drive it again. In my mind, I need the engine rebuilt, thus factoring that in upon purchase.

Now is where it gets interesting. I drained the oil and small bits of metal come out (never good) with one looking like ridge tinfoil. maybe a 1/4 of an inch long, see the attached blurry pics

Based on this brief description any thoughts on what it could be? I have not tried to start the car or turn it over. My thinking is to pull the engine, pull it apart and see where i stand.
]
Old 09-03-2007, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

#5 rod bearing?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
Chain, tensioner, ramps, etc.

You could pull valve covers and chain covers. Disconnect starter cable to never be tempted. Manuall turn over engine gently and see if valve movement is related to crank movement. Do not force. If valves are not moving on one bank, then remove chain cover. Inspect chain, pieces of ramps, strange wear, obviously broken/stretched chain, and tensioner. Look at head studs when your in there. You could check lash also to help diagnosis a problem.

Another idea, before dropping the engine might be to send scrap metal off to an engine oil analyzer and see if they can tell you just what that metal is? Bearing or other? If its a spun bearing, your splitting the case most likely anyway so let's hope for other.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

just take it apart and fix it, if you have metal shavings in the oil it's damaged someplace bad. turning it over will only make it worse and you will still have to dissasemble it to fix whatever is damaged anyways. make sure when you do all oil passages including the tank and cooler are cleaned or replaced so you dont end up with metal shavings in the newly rebuilt engine.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 09-05-2007, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Greg

Greetings.. here's an update. I pulled the rear bumper, turbo and exhaust, and timing covers on both sides. From the looks of it, the chain, rollers and tensioner look well within specs. There are even the tensioner collars on both side to limit damage if the tensioner should fail. I also pulled the lower valve covers and everything looks fine. So then I pulled the oil pump plate and lo and behold ,many more shavings. They look like very small potato chips. I'm hoping my culprit is only crank bearings. So in I go. The plan will be to pull the motor and start the long climb back to drive-ability. Looks like this will be an interesting adventure. Off to harbor freight to buy an engine stand, ATV jack, parts cleaner and engine hoist and on-line to buy Wayne's book and a Bentley manual. My three car garage is getting smaller by the minute

Question: When I pulled the lower valve covers, in the corner of each cover was a white powdery substance. Never seen anything like it. Any thoughts on what it could be?

One other point which amazes me is the way in which the car is built. For something so small, the level of detail and attentiveness is impressive. I compare this to my 65 Lincoln Continental Convertible and talk about worlds apart, not just the type but the way there both build. Man I love a Porsche...pics to come tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: