Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question I took the plunge...

Greetings to the members of this forum,

Well after several years of owning a few normally aspirated early 911's, I finally took the plunge and just bought a 1987 factory slant-nose turbo. My last 911 was a RS replica that got a little out of hand during the build process and became more of a track car than a street car. So I am looking forward to enjoying this car on the street.

But, after reading some of the posts on this forum, and learning more about the various modifications that a turbo engine is capable of, I am getting the urge to spend some money on upgrades, but would like to receive some advice as to which upgrades can be performed to the engine and suspension without turning the car into a garage queen/track car.

Specifically, I would like to modify the suspension, wheels and tires, inter-cooler, turbocharger, and exhaust. But living in California I have to be careful on the exhaust so I can still pass smog. Also, from reading posts and looking at various vendors websites, I would like to know at which point with engine modifications do you have to play with the air fuel mixture to avoid detonation at higher rpm's?

Any input / advice on which modifications would improve performance without going to far over the edge to making the car only usable on the track would be much appreciated. Thanks, John
Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You can get away with more on a street car than a track car since you can only go wide open for a few seconds at a time. Have any mods been done? The easiest hp is by raising boost. A 1 bar wastegate spring and a larger intercooler like a Koklen would be a good start. Next up are headers and a better turbo. It's a good idea to put the car on a dyno and check the air/fuel ratio after any big mods.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The car has not been modified at all, it is 100% factory original.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have a 1985 930S that is also 100% original and it pains me to think of making any mods to it. But then again, as per the advice is old posts, save the old stuff and put it back on when the time comes to move to the next collectible piece.

Can you really get away with 1 Bar with nothing more then a bigger intercooler? Mine pegs at .8 and then sometimes eeks down to .7. I am guessing that the wastegate spring may be a little tired after 22 years
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 09-04-2007, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
To be safe you should get in on a dyno, but as long as your just doing little 6-8 second bursts, you should be OK.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
One thing you may want to consider with these "specialty" 930s is preserving resale value. Bolt-ons can be removed for resale but an astute buyer will ask about it. Bolt-ons such as headers, turbo, and big intercoolers do not generally add stress to the engine. Big boost springs do. A potential buyer may be put off if there is a history of added boost pressure.

I would assume that in Califoria you can run aftermarket heat exchangers or headers sense they are independent of the catalytic converter. I do not know how the cat will affect the performance potential of the headers. The '87 cars have the Euro style heat exchangers so there may not be much to gain by going to headers if you have to keep the cat. California folks need to chime in with actual experience in this.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

[QUOTE=RarlyL8;3460789]clipped.... Big boost springs do. clipped.... [QUOTE]

What's considered a big boost spring? Is 1bar ok or is this considered 'lots' of boost? Just curious.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I consider a 1 bar spring safe for the street with a bigger intercooler. With stock fueling, it'll probably be a bit lean on top, but it'll only be on boost for a few seconds at a time.

A 1 bar spring even with a bigger intercooler is a hand grenade on the track, or even a long stretch of highway, if the air/fuel ratio isn't correct.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: