Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Buying another turbo!

Not sure how well this will go over here but Im throwing it out there for your thoughts and experiences.

Im buying a 3rd Gen Mazda RX7 twin turbo!

I know I know, but it was the car I was seriously thinking about buying before I bought my 930. Now that the P car is pretty much done, I find myself with alot of time and nothing to do. So Im building a new toy!

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys.........................................Chris

Last edited by Gumba11; 09-05-2007 at 11:01 PM..
Old 09-04-2007, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hmm...lemmme see, itsn't that the one of few production cars with sequential turbos? There is somewhat complicated ECU-operated vacuum mechanism that takes care of boost-handover from one to two turbochargers? I heard it is somewhat hard to diagnose and fails from time to time, with low boost at high revs.

Why not remove whole bungle, D- or bridge-port it and slap a GT35R on it...? At least it's rev-happy...
Old 09-05-2007, 12:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
Why not remove whole bungle, D- or bridge-port it and slap a GT35R on it...? At least it's rev-happy...
I'll second that!

Well, maybe not the bridgeport part, but I would pull the sequential setup and go with a single turbo.

Last edited by David; 09-05-2007 at 05:46 AM..
Old 09-05-2007, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Gorgeous cars... reputation of handgranading motors though. The upside is that I have seen first hand that an LS1 will fit neatly under the front hood after you blow up the original motor!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

I have no experience with them, but if it's the model that I'm tinking of, it's by far my favorite styling...can't comment on the mechanicals!!!! I don't care for the "new" one...AT ALL!

FWIW, I also prefered the previous 300Z over that 350 thing (that shares an Infinity platform).

I think Pelican Jim Cesiro is a Mazda RX driver.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 09-05-2007, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That the FD3S platform and a truly fantastic car. Heat is the enemy on a wankel motor:

1) First upgrade - big aluminum radiator with twin electric fans
2) Cermaic Apex seals

I agree the twin sequnetials are novel, but a nice Garett GT turbo is the way to go...excellent power, simple and easy to work on. 400whp on these cars make them untouchable.

Yasin
Old 09-05-2007, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah... what everyone else said. Just keep the turbine a divided entry style one, and that should help with lag on the 13B. I remember a reliable source mentioning that many years ago.

Cool car. I just had a ride in one making somewhere north of 500 hp. Wicked fast, and felt really light.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I agree on the cooling. Besides a big radiator, add a big oil cooler. Those ceramic seals are big bucks, something like $300 per seal if I remember correctly.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The great thing about the rotary engines, is just pump as much fuel and air in the thing as possible, and watch it fly! (keeping it cool at the same time of course). a lot of racers get rid of the twins, and go for a larger single turbo, b/c they really are a pain in the ass.

Let me know if you get one. A friends father has been designing/manufacturing the apex seals for Mazda racing teams for decades. I could probably snag you a set at a great price.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle

Last edited by AngM018; 09-05-2007 at 12:10 PM..
Old 09-05-2007, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

screw that buy another 930!
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 09-05-2007, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

VERY HARD to tune. Detonation is very prone due to the rotary design. When it does occur is jars the motor and rips seals, bearings, etc. You don't always have to hear denotation either to have it.

Great cars stock though.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

GT35R, Improved radiator, Oil cooler, and massive front mounted intercooler are the first items on the list!

As for the V8 route, I never put one in my P car when I blew my turbo motor and Im not about to start with the Mazda. Rotary is what interests me the most about the car.

Engine already has the internals built for big boost situations. The guy that built the engines for the 787B LeMans cars is the same guy that built the engine in the car Im looking at purchasing.

Should be a blast! Thanks for your thoughts guys!

.................................................. ................Chris
Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Well first off without pics this post is worthless Second you were holding out on us!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I'll take some this weekend and post them. Sorry Stephen......

.................................................. ..................Chris
Old 09-05-2007, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Lightbulb

Do a Supra TT. 600 rwhp is pretty easy with that car with exhaust, boost controller, one large turbo, better clutch and larger intercooler. The are wayyy over engineered !! My buddy has one and that is one seriously fast car! Problem is, because of movies like the Fast and Furious, the prices got jacked through the roof and they are hard to find.

I was looking at a 25K mile mint condition black 1993.5 and with the BPU in boxes ... never installed. It was an automatic and that's why I didn't buy it. Now I am kicking myself for not snagging it..... it's a cool looking car, especially in Black

Mazda huh .... I've never really been a fan of Mazda or Nissan for that matter.

How about a Vette? They depreciate to nothing and you can get a good deal, build the crap out of that small block motor ........ but then again, you would blend in with the rest of all the millions of Vettes out there. Oh well, good luck in whatever you decide on. That's just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Maxx1; 09-05-2007 at 08:09 PM..
Old 09-05-2007, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I used to sell cars and we had one on the lot which I drove.

That car scared me, but not in a good way.

It revved up so fast that it would lose traction, and slide sideways, even at slow speeds.

Maybe your experience will be totally different, but I would be cautious for a while when you floor it and find out how much traction it has.

The 911s all have that rear wheel traction which feels secure.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I have no interest in supra's and especially vettes. This was not a thread for what I should buy, but a thread for what I AM buying.

I appreciate your thoughts Max but a 600 HP RX7 is just as easy to build as the supra and I will end up with a car that is not in the same weight class as an F350 Ford like the supra. Translation. A 600 HP RX7 will smoke a 600 HP Supra by weight alone. The RX7 is also hands down a better handling car.

DDDD, I have driven a few of these cars and you are correct when you say they are scary. They can be a very twitchy car and border on unpredictable at times, but I seem to remember buying a certain german turbo car a few years back that I felt the same about. Now shes just an old sock that I love to take out and flog as much as possible and it feels natural to me.

Over everything, even if the HP numbers were not possible with this car, I would still want it just from the looks department. It is the most stunning car Mazda has ever created in my opinion.

Thanks guys!

.................................................. ............Chris
Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumba11 View Post
I have no interest in supra's and especially vettes. This was not a thread for what I should buy, but a thread for what I AM buying.
LOL...I got a kick out of that reply....well worded! and yes you owe us pics.

Yasin
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Personally, I feel like a Mazda is a unique whip. They do have some styling and individual branding with the wankel engine. I would buy a set of adult diapers before flogging a twin turbo again...

Newer Supras and Vettes are SO not exciting to look at.

People are only gushing over Vettes because they have come out with one car in the last 30 years that can hang with a Porsche. I don't get how one model of Vette can suddenly change everybody's feelings toward the Vette relative to a Porsche. Especially when a GT2 is coming out that simply puts Porsche back on top.

Anyway, I think Mazda has that intangible quality that Porsche has: individuality. Not trying to beat the herd at it's own game, but doing something completely different.

To me that is what makes a car special, not whether it is fractions of a second quicker than another car at a track.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
I work with a guy who has a rx8 and its in and out of the shop for no start issues, a/c doesnt work worth a crap on a good day. Im with the guy up above get another 930 hell I would even get a 944 turbo b4 i would go Japenese. Im not *****en but A lot of japenese car dont have any heritage.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: