Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   Intercooler - more fuel ? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/365516-intercooler-more-fuel.html)

prooutlaw 09-05-2007 04:34 AM

Intercooler - more fuel ?

When you change intercoolers from stock to Garrettson do you also have to upgrade the fuel supply ?
It seems that i am running out of fuel with the garrettson but it runs fine with the stock cooler

GO DAWG GO 09-05-2007 05:06 AM

What indications are you getting that tells you your running lean. I.e. Power loss? Is the engine stock? If its anywhere near stock the IC shouldnt make a difference. Pressure check the IC and make sure it doesnt have a leak. (On boost the car would run rich). I dont think the IC is the issue.

Bob

prooutlaw 09-05-2007 05:30 AM

The car has a 7th injector with a dial , if i run it with the same setting as the stock cooler it is missing in the upper RPM and shuts off for a second on the gear change.
When i max the 7th injector out the miss goes away but i still have the hesitation on the gear change.
If i change gears slowly it is fine.
It runs the same boost with either cooler , so i dont see it having a leak

Craig 930 RS 09-05-2007 07:45 AM

Remove the 7th injector setup, install the adjustable WUR, adjust & check AFRs on the dyno.

prooutlaw 09-06-2007 10:50 AM

Craig,
do you have a link to Brian Leask ?

Craig 930 RS 09-06-2007 11:40 AM

bleask@cox.net

Im my experienced and not-so-humble-opion;), there is a right way to do these things and Brian Leask is about the most knowledeable you will find with regards to CIS Turbo fuel management.

prooutlaw 09-06-2007 12:14 PM

Thanks Craig , i e-mailed Brian

prooutlaw 09-06-2007 12:16 PM

The funny part is , with the stock inter cooler the car runs fine .
But with the other inter cooler i have the problem.
You can actually feel the difference in power on the inter coolers

NathanUK 09-11-2007 12:46 AM

Which IC makes more power?

You should get an Innovate LM-1 or an XD-16.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products.php

Buy it from www.imagineauto.com

prooutlaw 09-11-2007 03:06 AM

The Garrettson makes a noticable difference in Power

beepbeep 09-11-2007 05:09 AM

Yeah, what they said. Do a run with LM1 and check for yourself if you really have a lean condition.

You mentioned that it "shuts down for a second on gear change". This is suspicious and shouldn't be AFR-related. Is old BOV reused? Is there a BOV connected? New intercooler sure flows better but everything is still drawn trough CIS anyway and i doubt your new intercooler improves th airflow to such degree that it pegs the CIS.

Check for leaks, check that your BOV is operating and do a LM1 run. You don't need dyno for this.

Regards,
Goran

prooutlaw 09-11-2007 05:56 AM

I changed the BOV and it did not help , no leaks.
i guess i need to get a LM1

beepbeep 09-11-2007 09:41 AM

How is BOV routed on this setup? What did you change?

BOV is integrated in intermediate throttle manifold on OEM 3.3 930 engine and is somewhat ambiguous when it comes to operating procedure.

Are you still using old integrated BOV aka "the clapper"? Are control hoses connected in same fashion as on old intercooler?

Reason I'm asking this is beacuse it sounds like your overboost switch is tripping on shifts, which usually happends when BOV is not operating correctly. Turbo still spins beacuse of inertia and tries to pack air into closed throttle, which trips the switch until turbo slows down a bit.

NathanUK 09-11-2007 11:57 AM

I too was thinking that he was tripping his overboost switch.

prooutlaw 09-11-2007 12:30 PM

No overboost switch !
Stock intercooler uses the stock manifold
Garrettson uses the C2 style

Jim2 09-11-2007 11:23 PM

Herbert, I'm sorry to hear that this issue is continuing to drag on. I believe this is the intercooler which I sold to you. I should still have some intallation pictures from my car if you think it may help.

Perhaps you could post up several close-up pictures of your installation to see if anyone notices something amis.

How much boost are you running?

Have you tried to unplug the 7th injector (at the injector) and do a trial run? My thought is that the extra injector might be spraying during the shift, causing a rich condition just after you shift and get back into the throttle. It would coincide with the issue only being prevelent under high boost shifts.

beepbeep 09-12-2007 12:13 AM

How is 7:th injector tripped? With boost-switch connected to intercooler? In that case high boost between shifts might be tripping 7:th injector which floods the plenum with fuel between shifts.

prooutlaw 09-12-2007 03:07 AM

Jim,
could you send me some pictures of your installation ?
Where did the small vacuum line come from that triggers to the BOV ?
If i dont use the 7th injector , the car starts to miss at 5000rpm
running stock boost .8bar
hboehm@wilkes.net

NathanUK 09-12-2007 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS (Post 3462412)
Remove the 7th injector setup, install the adjustable WUR, adjust & check AFRs on the dyno.

+1 and install an Innovate LM-1 or XD-16.

Jim2 09-12-2007 05:15 PM

Herbert, I sent several pictures of my installation to your email address.

My thoughts about the seventh injector are exactly the same as Goran's. See beepbeep three post up.

I suspect the issue is something other than your i/c installation because you say the seventh injector is needed in order for the engine to run clean above 5000 rpm, yet you are running stock boost (.8 bar). Since the function of the seventh injector is to add extra fuel for higher than stock boost levels, it appears your engine must be lean misfiring without the seventh injector. As others advise here, best that you get a wide band O2 sensor installed to help with diagnosis. Can you borrow one from someone help get this problem looked into?