Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Better Bodies... Is This A Joke?

I wanted to order a set of C2/4 bumpers until I read this. http://www.betterbodiesmotorsport.com/ordering.htm they seem to cover their a$$ well but don't seem to care about their customer's.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 09-06-2007, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I ordered a 993 Center Console from them today by depositing the cost plus shipping on their BofA account that was given to me over the phone. I also needed to ask them to do some custom changes to the back end of the center console due to a protrusion that I have at the back there because of having just had a 6 speed transmission fitted into my car. No extra charges due to the custom shaping of the mold were suggested to me, just the advertized prize.
Armando at Better Bodies has been very customer service focused with me. Therefore so far I am happy. Of course we need to see the final product. The delivery date was set to be Sept 20.

1989 930 - 3.5l - M48 - G64/51
Old 09-06-2007, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I haven't bought any recent fiberglass, but there's info on Pelican on who makes good stuff. Do a little searching first. Of course none of it's perfect.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Armando has always taken good care of me too! The direct deposit thing is a little odd I suppose but they are great to deal with and I will use them in the future when I need other parts. They care a great deal about their customers.

Just my .02...........................................C
Old 09-06-2007, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm only interested in their bumpers so I can't see it being way off. I guess one way around it would be to see if they supply their kits to other vender's which accept credit cards.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

ya BB is a joke.i have c2t sideskirts that dont come close to fitting.and im not a picky guy.these were way off.i wouldnt use fiberglass for the bumpers.i would want something that has a little give and not crack.do yourself a big favour and buy oem bumpers.or there is an aftermarket place that makes flexible/rubber type bodywork.forget who it is.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cardsrule
Armando was good. the fit of the dp tail was not...
Past:79 930 EFI
Old 09-06-2007, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What about Getty Design?
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-06-2007, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I posted this same response on the Rlist... in case some of you arent' on that list...

I had bought my GT-2 style c-2 turbo front bumper from them about 7 years ago. I had it made in CF, instead of FG. I had to pay it in full before they even started to make it ( which I can understand as a CF part is expensive). However, as it was deemed a "special order", if I was not happy, I was out of luck. I think it took them about a month, but when the piece arrived, I was NOT a happy person. It took me close to 60 to 80 hours of wetsanding and polishing just to look like the piecies I get from M.A.Shaw out of the box. The piecies I purchased from M.A.Shaw were all in CF and included both doors, both front fenders, hood, GT-2 tail, and C-2 side skirts.... All of which, when pulled out of the box, looked PERFECT, and actually bolted up and fitted quite well. The BB bumper was another story. I had to modify the upper lip, and I felt like the demensions were wrong, as when it was on, it needed ALLOT of tweeking to get it to look right. Now that it is on, It has held up well, and they were the only ones making that front bumper... so I could not go with anyone else. When I called them to discuss with them the problems that I was having, and the unfinished condition of the part.... ( I left the carbon with the clear gelcoat, I did not paint it), they stated....Sorry, but it is a custom part...and would not discuss it further. That one experiance has soured me from ever doing business with them again.
Even If I was going to paint the part, it still would have needed 40 or more hours of prep work to get it ready for paint.... Hell, the part surface was soo rough, I had to start with 40 grit paper to knock it down!!!!!!!!

just my .02 cents, but if I were you, I would contact M.A. Shaw, Getty design, or a few other places..... and forgo that shop...until they get their act together... Oh, and why in this day in age doesn't a shop have a CC machine??? Probably, because it is easier to dispute the charges and get your money back if there is a problem. With a wire transfer or a Money order, cashiers check, etc....once its theirs...its gone!!
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 09-06-2007, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
What about Getty Design?
I left an email for Getty design, waiting for a reply.
84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 09-07-2007, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN View Post
I left an email for Getty design, waiting for a reply.
Call them, they work from like 9-1 p.m. pacific time.

Pretty cool guys to talk to.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Lukesportsman
+1 on Getty, very helpful and will help guide you to product quality/cost of your choice and need. He can make you a 4lb vacuum bagged CF 1 layer hood if you want to pay the going "Race" car prices or do you up a regular street glass hood for a tenth the price.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

+2 on Getty.

I picked up a set of C2 bumpers and a 3.8RS wing from them and although I opted not to do the final install on the bumpers, the wing turned out very nice right out of the box. In fact, my body guy said he only needed to do minimal prep work before painting.

When the bumpers were about ready for install they looked great as well with minimal prep but decided at the last minute that I wanted a bit more re-enforcement and picked up an RSR type spoiler instead.

As Lukesportsman stated and in my experience, they asked me what I really needed rather than just sell me a part to make a sale.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka View Post
+2 on Getty.

I picked up a set of C2 bumpers and a 3.8RS wing from them and although I opted not to do the final install on the bumpers, the wing turned out very nice right out of the box. In fact, my body guy said he only needed to do minimal prep work before painting.

When the bumpers were about ready for install they looked great as well with minimal prep but decided at the last minute that I wanted a bit more re-enforcement and picked up an RSR type spoiler instead.

As Lukesportsman stated and in my experience, they asked me what I really needed rather than just sell me a part to make a sale.
Was that your stuff that was for sale earlier this year in the Buy & Sell? There was a C2 turbo front bumper and a turbo tail.
14 535i M Sport
Old 09-08-2007, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I bought a few things from Better Bodies including a custom 993 console and was very happy with my purchases. I would not hesitate to use them again. I don't have experience with their C2/C4 bumpers, but I would recommend calling them to discuss any reservations before making your purchase. Good luck.

-Darrell

1984 3.2 Carrera Turbo Cab - Protomotive chip, B&B Headers, M&K Exhaust, Garrett GT30, Tial WG (46mm), Custom Intercooler, "Big Reds" 993TT brakes, In-Your-Face Gauge Boost/AFR Gauge, and Removable Hardtop
Old 09-08-2007, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville84Cab View Post
I bought a few things from Better Bodies including a custom 993 console and was very happy with my purchases. I would not hesitate to use them again. I don't have experience with their C2/C4 bumpers, but I would recommend calling them to discuss any reservations before making your purchase. Good luck.

-Darrell
That's good to hear about the 993 console as that is what I just ordered. I already started getting concerned....will report when I have received my item.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The difference is that Better Bodies is 50% positive reviews from what I can see, and Getty is 100% positive reviews.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
Was that your stuff that was for sale earlier this year in the Buy & Sell? There was a C2 turbo front bumper and a turbo tail.
Yup! That was me.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

What I've decided to do is go with Better Bodies on the rear because they offer it in 3 piece with no cut outs for the exhaust, Getty doesn't. Armando has been very helpful and I was insured fitment wont be an issue. I will go with Getty for the front bumper and splitter.

84 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 09-10-2007, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oms930 View Post
That's good to hear about the 993 console as that is what I just ordered. I already started getting concerned....will report when I have received my item.
Almost forgot to report back....

I did receive the 993 center console on Sept 20th as they promised. Having had a G64/51 fitted in my 930 which required for a little protrusion into the center console area adjacent to the rear seats, I had to request for them to do a custom mold for me. The custom job also turned out as ordered. So the part would fit well and therefore I have to report a positive experience with the item itself from Better Bodies.

Since ordering the 993 center console I have removed the leather "skirt" that the 6-speed shift knob had that did not reach all the way to the floor. Having removed that item, the knob does not look too bad to me anymore with the stock 930 center console and is the reason why I have not had it installed yet as I am now in two minds as to whether actually to do it or not.

The only thing that I would say is not as advertised is the claimed easy 10 minute installation of the item. At least it would take me a whole lot longer to install it than 10 minutes since the existing center console needs to be removed and those A/C etc knobs would have to be refitted into the new one.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: