Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New 930 but has no 3rd...?

Hey all, (if you are a Rennlister also this is a repeat )

Looked at a 85 euro very similar to "Helga" my black on black girl for $23K. The new car is red/black, has about 65K miles on it but has a trans- I'm assuming- problem. The car will not go into 3rd. The previous owner states it always growled alittle going into third since he has owned it (3yrs) and on spirited acceleration day it no longer would go in gear.

I drove the car and the shifting feels very very sloppy compaired to my 930 but my car is very low milage and has lead a pampered life. Any ideas on what the possible problem is?

I also curious to see what you all think it may be worth. No damage, body straight, Fuchs slight scuff, interior great except cracking bolsters. It shows the car lived outdoors and was driven often.. I was thinking of DE/tracking this car to keep Helga in her present condition.

Thoughts?-- Regards, Mike
Old 09-14-2007, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Also - no third with both the engine on and off.....
Old 09-14-2007, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Well to start small before just assuming that the internals are bad, could the rear shifter couper be out of adjustment/alignment? There is a cover/access plate on the tranny tunnel, under the carpet in front of the rear seats. I know chances are slim since the owner has complained about "growling" noises, but you never know. Just a thought...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I also wonder when the last time a gear oil change was done???
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 09-14-2007, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If it goes in 1st and you cant find 3rd, chances are you have a problem. I would definitely check the linkage as Sandman says and also there is a plate on the bottom of the trans that has a stationary fork on the inside that can become loose. Check that also. If all else fails. I know a great tranny re-builder for a good price in So-Cal.

Got pictures of the car?

Bob
Old 09-14-2007, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

No pics yet- I'll try to get some when I look at the car again. The owner does not want me to drive it over to my shop to tinker with. My guess is he already knows its a major problem and does not want me to figure the same thing out. At this point he also does not want to come off the 23K price and says there is a dealer looking at the car.... I may cut and run.

FYI the car is in Virginia so the Cali shop may be too far , but thanks.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Got the car to the shop and checked all that was suggested. Some of the slop was in the shifter tension itself, the rear coupler was fine but low and behold- metal shavings and fragments attached to the drain plug magnet-

Talked to the owner- he will not budge off 23K- looks like he is keeping the car.

Thanks to all who chimed in- Mike
Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

23k's not too bad. buy and fix the tranny...worst case scenario, your in a nice clean(as you describe) 930 for 27k. It seems like lately people are trying to buy these cars for pennies on the dollar. mine isn't for sale, nor am I in the market for one but I do think that 930's have been going for rediculously low amounts of money lately.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: