Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Piping up my Garretson IC

I have just been fitting the longneck Garretson IC sold to me by Bryce Coats who you may know from the board (who I highly recommend to anyone as a good seller). Everything fits fine but I appear to be one port short of a completed system.

The photos below illustrate my setup:

Direct link: http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/435/pipingquestiondd4.jpg

Direct link: http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/3273/pipingquestion2fj2.jpg

My first question is which way up should the BOV be, in my setup it is currently the same way up as in the 964 turbo PET illustration shows it but in the past I have always had BOVs with the pressure side connected to the base?

Secondly there are no ports left on the IC to connect the feed to the BOV? How is the BOV normally connected with a Garretson IC? do I need to weld in a port it the turbo-IC pipe where I have drawn a purple cross?

Thirdly the overboost switch fitted in the ic has a JPT 2 terminal plug whereas my old switch had a single spade, do I need to earth one of the terminals of the jpt and connect the other to the wire from the spade terminal?

Does the rest of the setup look ok to you guys?

Thanks in advance for help with this, no idea how people managed before this forum existed or the internet!

Fergus
Old 09-15-2007, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

remove the intercooler from the engine, take a picture of the back of the unit and post the picture here. I'll be happy to help you sot things out.
E-man930
Old 09-16-2007, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Here is a picture of the rear of the IC

E-Man930 thanks for the help with this, an image of the IC from the back is below:

Direct link: http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/7935/garrettsonbackhz2.jpg

Thanks again,

Fergus
Old 09-16-2007, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Looks like there is no port for the BOV? There should be a line that comes out to the left of the throttle inlet. The BOC port as well as the Decel port both go to the throttle body on the intake side. The port to the right with the nipple is your wastegate, the one next to it is the overboost switch.

You are also missing the pass through. The elbow needs to have a pipe flared out to meet the size from the smaller inlet on the other side. The S pipe to the turbo. You will need to make something to connect these two.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I recomend connecting O to X. With other words, welding a nipple on turbo discharge pipe, roughly where X is and connecting it with appropriate hose to BOV. You can also weld this nipple on intercooler intake tubing. I don't recomend welding the BOV nipple on the other side of intercooler as it lenghtens the tubing. Other than that, it looks good!
Old 09-16-2007, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
My first question is which way up should the BOV be, in my setup it is currently the same way up as in the 964 turbo PET illustration shows it but in the past I have always had BOVs with the pressure side connected to the base?
Either position technically works, however those valves are setup to work as you suggested with the charge side going to the bottom port on the valve body. Routing this way leads to a faster reacting valve with throttle fluctuations with charge pressure pushing up against the valve end rather than from the side. On the flip it can cause fluttering/leaking if the valve spring pressure is not setup to par with your boost setting. Most of the Forge/knockoffs like that valve have various spring pressure and shims available to "tune" the valve accordingly...

Everything else seems to have been covered

Last edited by BoxxerSix; 09-16-2007 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-16-2007, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
A couple shots of the garritson which was on my car:

Orange hose went to BOV

Reducer adapted rubber elbow to factory "S" pipe.

Last edited by Jim2; 09-16-2007 at 06:45 PM..
Old 09-16-2007, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: