Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lightbulb Strange Whistle Noise Non Turbo

Iv got a 1984 carrera and ever time i put my foot down on the throttle i get a strange but quiet whistle for a few seconds has anyone got any ideas of what it could be

www.featherfriends.co.uk
Old 09-18-2007, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do you have an aftermarket air intake? Leaks around your air intake regardless would be the first thing I'd check.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Maybe you have a stealth turbo???

I had a whistling in an intake once after I pulled the silencer and went with a K&N.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 09-18-2007, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Intake leak!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Yes iv got the standard air box but with a k&n panel filter in it do you think that would be it

www.featherfriends.co.uk
Old 09-19-2007, 01:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
Maybe you have a stealth turbo???
I wish it was play with you 930 lads then

www.featherfriends.co.uk
Old 09-19-2007, 01:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Easy enough to test... pull the K&N filter out and drive the car around the block. If it goes away then great, if not at least you have taken that question out of the loop.
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 09-19-2007, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yes you all was right with reguards the air leak when i put the filter in i only did the clips up on the front of the airbox and not the back ones but now iv clipped the rear ones up the noise has gone.

Thanks everyone

Just wondering with the panel filter in would it make any difference if i drilled the standard airbox to let more air in

www.featherfriends.co.uk
Old 09-19-2007, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Iv put a standard airfilter back in and the noise has stopped so i think it was the K&N filter making the whistle with the air going in which was also making it backfire not sure if that was a good thing or not

So ill stop with the standard filter for now

www.featherfriends.co.uk
Old 02-10-2008, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hard to say, but when putting on a K&N air filter and opening up the air silencer box to flow more air you hear more induction noise.
There are large holes or ports in the the throttle body before and after the the butterfly where the cold start auilliary air valve air hose passages come in.
At small throttle openings just above idle these holes which have sharp edges whistle as air whips over them.
At larger throttle openings you don't hear it as all the air isn't going around the outer edges of the butterfly at high speed right up against those holes.

You won't hear it with the stock air cleaner/housing on there, but you do with the K&N and opened up air silencer housing.
On front engined cars running a cold air intake hose from a K&N filter up to behind the headlights or through the front bulkhead to the grill will silence that whistle from the drivers position.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I got induction noise when I fitted my K&N element to my 3.2 carrera too.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 02-10-2008, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
I got induction noise when I fitted my K&N element to my 3.2 carrera too.

Did it course it too back fire out the exhaust ?

www.featherfriends.co.uk
Old 02-10-2008, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Haha, now you mention I think maybe it did. If I lift off in 3rd gear sometimes it bangs I don't remember it doing this before the K&N.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Yeh mine did when i had my K&N in iv took it out now.

www.featherfriends.co.uk
Old 02-12-2008, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
You know, I have often wondered if the K&N has done my AFM any harm. Any ideas anyone?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: