Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Talking I contacted the 2nd owner of my 930 last night and got a lot of info on the car ....

I found out why the car was never federalized and what all it went through.... it's a long story.

I guess the web regrinds are just the stock profile. He broke a rocker, damaged a cam and had to replace them.... something I was wondering about.

He claims he's the car will pull to 180mph and he's had it there a few different occasions. ..... the car had the stock turbo and headers. Does this sound like a case of speedometer error, or can these cars run that fast?

He did mention that he's driven an identical US spec car and this Euro spec was much stronger all the way around. It was interesting finding out info about the car's origins. It was imported and purchased new in 82 for $54,000.

... anyway, I think I got a decent car for the price.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Speedo is optimistic, I will guess the car was doing 163-167.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Me like track days

Identical US spec car?

He's fulla crap unless the US car was a 78/79 or post-1985. No 1982 US cars made -
Old 09-19-2007, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
"He's full of crap" (I second that)
Old 09-20-2007, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Identical US spec car?

He's fulla crap unless the US car was a 78/79 or post-1985. No 1982 US cars made -

Let me re-define.

The original owner had two 1982 cars .... one EPA / DOT tweeked to pass US federalization which he eventually wrecked, and the second un-touched, which is the car I bought. It's a no brainer that the Euro cars were stronger than the 'smogged to pass US spec' cars.

There is a lot of detail I left out, and I didn't want to bore anybody in the original post.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Maxx,

I only said that because I dont believe a stock turbo (Euro or American) can do better than ~160 MPH. IMHO. The speedo are callibrated on the high side too. My turbo says I'm moving at 65 when I'm actually at 60.

Add headers , better turbo and maybe? You also have to be crazy unless your on the track.

Bob
Old 09-20-2007, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Boost Freak

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_snyder View Post
Maxx,

I only said that because I dont believe a stock turbo (Euro or American) can do better than ~160 MPH. IMHO. The speedo are callibrated on the high side too. My turbo says I'm moving at 65 when I'm actually at 60.

Add headers , better turbo and maybe? You also have to be crazy unless your on the track.

Bob
The only mod to the car at the time was headers ... but I tend to agree with you. Even Porsche claims the top speed is like 158 or so on that model.

Say with headers it would go 165, add in 8 mph speedometer error and 7 mph BS error .... does that sound reasonable?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Maxx,

I know my car pretty well and it may go ~180 now but not when it was stock. Aerodynamic drag increases exponentially and at 180 miles per hour for a car really not designed for that type of velocity, it a tremendous strain and requires oodles of ponies.

The first time I drove my turbo at California speedway and opened it up I was flying. The one thing that you wont realize until you do it is the drag...Wind noise inside with the windows up and sun roof closed was loud like a tornado. Sound ominous and scary like a fender my come off or something. SPOOKY!

Bob
Old 09-20-2007, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Hey Bob,

....I know 180 is a tall order.

I read two articles, years apart from Road and Track. The first was when the 964 Turbo was out. They had a shootout between factory stock cars ..... the ZR1 vette, Supra TT, Porsche, some Ferrari and a few other high end cars. They were pretty much all running right around 180. This month Road and Track has an article about several cars trying to reach 200 mph in a 2 mile stretch. Some cars ( Hennesy Dodge Viper ) got there alarmingly fast, and others had a hard time..... but the point is how difficult it is at those speeds to reach 200 mph. Like you said the effort is expodential and you've got to make a LOT of power to overcome the wind drag.

I had a Yamaha R1 and it would just fly up to about 155 where the gain in speed started tapering off. It still got to 165 before I scared myself and figured I better shut it down, but the wind drag was incredible!! That 2001 model was supposed to be good for 175 ( on the radar gun ) but I didn't think I had enough road to pull it off.

That guy in my car may have seen 180 on the speedometer, but there has to have been some error in there somewhere. I forgot .... too said he had a different boost spring put in the stock turbo .... so that along with headers were the only mods.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: