Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hit by Truck

Hit by some ********* in a truck today. Said I was in his blind spot. He was in a forward cab Isuzu and the step to get up in the cab was what hit my car. I was almost right in front and he says blind spot, f...ken' wanker.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not to undermine the fact that your car was hit, but I expected worse. I have done lots of body work over the years and that is a fairly easy repair. Your bodywork hammers are your friends here, but to blend the panel will require some Bondo (again not a big deal) and then a talented painter who can blend the white.

Keep us posted and Good Luck.

Yasin
Old 09-22-2007, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

problem is the car has never had any damage at all, apart from minor stone chips, that are still present. It's the original paint as well, which craps me even more knowing it ain't going to be original now.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Dewolf, if your that hung up on "original paint" and "no damage" park the sucker and this kind of stuff won't happen.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 09-22-2007, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That sucks! Blind spot MY A$$, you mean right out the drivers window and down a couple of feet. How can you miss a beautiful Porsche???

That first major blemish is a hard one.... but after you get it fixed the next one will not be as bad???

It is hard to sue for Diminished Value in these cases unless you have a bunch of data, like a value assessment of what the car is worth before hand and one after the repair. It may only be a $1000 or two on a $20000 dollar car. What is your car worth?

Edit: Woops, you guys drive from the other side of the vehicle. So the driver of the basher truck couldn't see the car to the left and ahead of him...
Old 09-22-2007, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Dewolf,

Its obvious you take good care of her. I do feel for you..I would be pissed too. I just feel sorry for the wanker who hits my car being careless or doing something aggressive. I would take it like someone hitting one of my kids..

I think that stems from me taking all the extra safety steps to park away from people at my expense of walking farther just to avoid some forking nimrod from door dinging it. Then you have the tribal a-s holes who will park next to you way out in the forking boonies where your trying to avoid them either because there as-holes or they have a tribal mentality where I need to park next to somebody. Anyway- your picture goy my blood pressure up too. Get the car to a shop and have them fix it..But take and odometer reading and tell the shop owner that you have, and the car is not to be driven and write that on your invoice. It doesn't need a test drive. You know there looking for a reason to drive it and see what shes got...meaning thrash on it. If they drive it take your car and tell them they breached the contract and don't pay them. One little as-hole can cause synchro/ tranny damage and wind the piss out of it or screw up something.. Be careful mate..

Good luck...
Old 09-22-2007, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
Dewolf, if your that hung up on "original paint" and "no damage" park the sucker and this kind of stuff won't happen.
Show a little compassion, dude.

Sorry to see it Dewolf, glad he didn't bend your frame up!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
I did'nt buy it to park it, but you don't expect *********s to move into your lane where you are clearly visible. The prick even denied doing it. It's just a bastard that for 22yrs it's been taken very good care of and then some sh$t who wants to get home in a hurry ruins 22yrs of preservation. I am insured with an excellent insurance company so that jerk is paying big time. The guy I will be taken it to is the only non-dealer, Porsche approved repairer in my state.
It's actually worse than it looks. Looking from the top the guard has been pushed inward from almost the center and has bulged out a little further forward.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have nightmares about this!!! My sincere condolences! Make sure you post up a pic when it is all fixed up and looking as good as new. Sometimes it is amazing what the really good painters can do. Maybe you can get the guy to throw in a total body polish and buff
Engine Rebuild & Restorations
Old 09-22-2007, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewolf View Post
*********s to move into your lane where you are clearly visible. The prick even denied doing it. It's just a bastard that for 22yrs it's been taken very good care of and then some sh$t who wants to get home in a hurry ruins 22yrs of preservation.

The ironic thing about parking your baby is that EVEN if you choose to park clear out in the back of the lot,, all by yourself and walk to the store 400 feet ,,, some idiot WILL make the shallow effort to park right next to you in spite of you and your nice car!
Old 09-22-2007, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
A fellow I knew back in IL has a white 911 nearly identical to your own. A real show piece. He parked it in the back 40 of a restaurant one evening and had his meal interupted by the horrified patrons watching a drunk in a jacked 4x4 doing his best "monster truck" feat by running over the top of the car!

There are those in the general public that are complete *********s. You somehow have to survive it. Sorry about your car, it is gorgeous.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
Show a little compassion, dude.

If I owned a low milage, pristine future museum piece, I'd hide it away and drive it only on sunny Sundays (once a month at that) for 15 miles at a time. I'd do this precisely to avoid what happened to DeWolf's car.
By the way, I used to have a car like this but I got sick of staring at it in the garage and worrying about it when I did take it out.
If I owned a nice driver (like I do now) I'd drive it and not worry too much about it. My definition of a nice driver is a medium to high milage car (50,000 miles and up) that is mechanically sound and has maybe been repainted, or not. With that kind of milage it might have a minor accident in it's past. If the car has this kind of milage, it's no longer a collector's car anyway.
Bottom line is the more you drive your car, the more risk you expose it to. If you are the kind of person that wants to preserve a car in it's original state, you can't afford to use it much at all. If it's a driver, get it fixed and don't let it raise your blood pressure. If it was a collector's car, fix it, sell it and look for another virgin to own.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 09-23-2007, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
user & abuser

Garage
thats crazy..911nut

he's not saying he wants a perfect org condition car. he's saying he wants a perserved driver. All proper maintance, no drive mistakes, always kept clean to avoid rust & scratching.....

22yrs is a good run IMO. It shows commitment to safe driving in the car as well, because even in my 5 years of driving i can confirm that i've avoided more then 10 accidents....

as per parking away... that really doesn't seem to work, people pull up and wanna see it, next thing you know 4 twelve year olds have their hands all over it asking there dad if they can sit in it....a few of them are writing their name in the road grime in the back of the wheel arches....another is bored and jumping back into the family buick, using my car door as a door stop...... it really is sickening how other people treat nice cars.... even in my own carport when i group of my firends are outside smoking it isn't uncommon for one of them to sit on the fender.... often with jeans on... doesn't really matter how many times you've asked someoen before... it just looks comfy i guess...
Old 09-23-2007, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facey View Post
even in my own carport when i group of my Friends are outside smoking it isn't uncommon for one of them to sit on the fender.... often with jeans on... doesn't really matter how many times you've asked someone before... it just looks comfy i guess...

The hood between the head lights does look like a recliner. the only issue with that is the hoods are so weak on these cars that if they were sat on, the person would bend the hood right into the trunk. I have a no touching policy with my car, and I re-enforce this every time someone wants to take a look.

I also try to stay away from all traffic on the roads (luckily my car is not a daily driver) If some punk kid tries to race me, I pull off to the side of the street and let him pass, or take a backroad (I try to do this anyway b/c it is a whole lot more fun!)

The next project is to install a third brake light on the rear windshield, those are a must down here b/c thats the only thing people look at.
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 09-23-2007, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The front of his car hit the rear of your car=his fault. I recently damaged my car without anyone else's help and had no problems with my insurance company (think Gogo mobile). The result was a total respray and the car looks fantastic. I wouldn't get too hung up on the fact that your paint won't be original so long as you don't change colour.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_snyder View Post
I think that stems from me taking all the extra safety steps to park away from people at my expense of walking farther just to avoid some forking nimrod from door dinging it. Then you have the tribal a-s holes who will park next to you way out in the forking boonies where your trying to avoid them either because there as-holes or they have a tribal mentality where I need to park next to somebody.
This happened to me on Sunday in my 3.2 carrera
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 09-25-2007, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post
The ironic thing about parking your baby is that EVEN if you choose to park clear out in the back of the lot,, all by yourself and walk to the store 400 feet ,,, some idiot WILL make the shallow effort to park right next to you in spite of you and your nice car!
At least I am not the only one...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 09-25-2007, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

sorry to hear about that dewolf... On a related note, has anyone tried to get small "door dings" out of the rear fender flares using one of those "paintless" dent removal places - some JA$$ dinged me last weekend and it is really ticking me off.
1982 930
Old 09-27-2007, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

In a hundred years the car and its original paint will be worth nothing to you. So own it to drive it. Who cares about that stuff.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Angry

I live in a state where the economy is horrible and there is an abundance of 80s and 90s junker running the streets many with temp tags and probably no insurance. The Porsche hate is amazing .... uneducated losers with nothing to lose tend to screw with me from time to time.

I had some idiot swerved over in my lane and came at me head on.... then swerved back over at the last minute laughing as he went by. In fact, 5 minutes after I got the car and was driving it home, some jerk in a Pontiac decided to tail gate me for about 3 miles ... I mean like maybe 3 feet off my bumper. I was going 5 over the speed limit ..... what is wrong with these people?

I have a nice black Acura for my daily driver and someone did a nice little key number on part of the quarter panel. Some people just need to be shot and taken out of their miserable exsistance.

Dewolf, I hope your settlement goes well and you get your car fixed so you would never know....
Old 09-30-2007, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: