Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

crank pulley removal - seek wisdom

It is confirmed, the "mechanic" that changed the alternator evidently did not take his time & bent the damn crank pulley with the fan shroud. I need to know how this is replaced, from what the parts sheet shows its a double pulley (A/C & fan) & rumor has it around 140# torque.

Explain to me like I am a child what is involved in removing/replacing the pulley ie; partial engine drop? A ballpark on time would also be nice. I believe I may take to Porsche let them correct it & charge back the garage that hacked it. The service manager is a good friend, he "assumed" his mechanic could easily do the alternator... sigh. One thing for sure I will be damned if the "mechanic" that *&^_))*_^ it up will touch her again.

The Porsche is a 1988 930

Thanks in adavnce-
Chris

Last edited by chrmer3; 09-24-2007 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: add vehicle
Old 09-24-2007, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

If you are looking for a good mech in SC... Go to Hilton Head Porsche.. Speak with George De La Bruyere... tell him Turbo sent ya.... He is a wonderful guy...and a hell of a mech...he will not steer you the wrong way... Brad
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 09-24-2007, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

That had to be something to have him bend the crank pulley. It's stiff as hell.

To make a long story short (and guys help me out here), I would do the following after jacking up the back end of the car at a minimum (use jackstands!):

1- Remove the intercooler and down tube to the turbo
2- Remove the belt off the alt fan pulley
2a- Remove the rear engine tin
3- Remove the A/C compressor off the bracket mount
4- Remove the muffler
5- Remove the A/C bracket mount
6- Jack the engine up just enough to take the weight off the crossmember and support it.
7- Remove the two bolts holding the crossmember to the chassis
8- Remove all the bolts holding the crossmember to the engine mount (there is one that's inside and hard to "see" on the passenger side
9- Remove the engine mount
10- Remove the crank pulley

If you have any manuals, they are the same staps to follow, you are just doing it with the engine in the car. If you take your time, keep track off parts, nuts, etc. you will be able to get it done. Take lots of digi pics and keep nuts/bolts/washers in zip locs with their respective parts.

Here are some pics to help.

BTW. Look at the time stamps to see our progress one afternoon.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 09-25-2007 at 05:47 PM..
Old 09-25-2007, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to get this resolved asap. Most likely will take to Porsche or a very qualified mechanic for the repair. Its more involved than I have time for. I should have done the alternator myself & avoided this
Chris
Old 09-25-2007, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Live and learn. We all make mistakes. Lord knows, I've made mine.

Is the pulley bent that bad that you need to replace it?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes. When I picked the car up I got home (6 miles) the inside belt was fraying. I had to bend it back in shape, wrap emery cloth on a long screwdriver to finesse in between the belts to smooth down the sharp edges where they tried to beat back in shape with a screwdriver.
Keep in mind this car has 58K original & is literally 9.9/10 condition with no exaggeration. Yes they will replace it because in my eyes neglect caused it. Right is right wrong is wrong.
Chris
Old 09-25-2007, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Sounds like a good idea. Didn't know if it was off just a hair and you could live with it.

Are they paying for it? I hope so.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: