Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red Line - Which Grade?

With all the changes occurring with the OTC engine oils, I have decided to go with the High Dollar stuff during my next oil change. I have read many threads on this board and as a result of availability, have decided to go with Red Line (I have access to a warehouse full of the stuff). I am wondering, based on the following situation, which grade to go with; 10W40, 15W50 or 20W50? The car is a stock '89 930 that is driven mostly on the street with a couple of DE's a year. It is driven year round (about 3,00 miles) on nice days in Virginia (read: HOT Summers, mild winters - thanks to global warming). I am currently running Rotella T and the car on cool days has oil temps just above the first white line, on hot days it can get to just below the second white line in traffic.
As an alternative to Red Line, I was thinking about Swepco 306. I have access to it (just not as convenient). Any help or experience would be appreciated .
Old 10-02-2007, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Warm weather car--I'd probably lean towards the 20W50. Though I don't think you'd be doing any harm with the other grades.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey, Is that you Todd?

Anyway, I was wondering about Red Line myself because the oils are made for high temperatures, at least in the description from RedLine that you see in catalogs (or websites). I am actually thinking that 10-40 might be more appropriate for a car that doesn't get super hot, just going by RedLine's description.

15-50 seems to be the best for 930s around here, but redline doesn't make that...

My temp gauge never gets far above 180 degrees, so I am hesitant to use the redline 20-50, but I imagine the inside of the engine will get hotter than 180 so maybe the high temperature redline stuff will be okay.

I know this is more of a question than an answer, but it is something I have wondered about. I will likely want to use redline for my next oil change. I too am curious about this topic.

-Dave
Old 10-02-2007, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey Dave - Yes it's me.

Actually Red Line does make 15-50, I've got 15 cases on the shelf ($8.91 a quart + sh). I can even arrange delivery Are you going to VIR Monday for the EuroClassic DE? I'll be there with the 930 and we should have some down there at the store as well. I was leaning towards the 10-40 as well just wasn't sure as to the heat generated in the turbo. I used to run 20-50 in the 935 and have always run 20-50 dino oil in all my na 911's. Maybe I'm over thinking it - just too many choices!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57_300SL View Post
Hey Dave - Yes it's me.

Actually Red Line does make 15-50, I've got 15 cases on the shelf ($8.91 a quart + sh). I can even arrange delivery Are you going to VIR Monday for the EuroClassic DE? I'll be there with the 930 and we should have some down there at the store as well. I was leaning towards the 10-40 as well just wasn't sure as to the heat generated in the turbo. I used to run 20-50 in the 935 and have always run 20-50 dino oil in all my na 911's. Maybe I'm over thinking it - just too many choices!
No, not going to VIR...I have been messing around with my car's set up, taking off weight. Still needs to be re-aligned and lowered again.

If redline makes a 15-50, then there is the oil to run, IMO.

Do you know the zinc+phosphorus levels in that?

Does the description mention what internal engine heat range the 15-50 was designed for?

I imagine you have heard the whole deal about companies decreasing the zinc+p levels in oil, and how this is bad for air cooler engines...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes I know about the decrease in zinc. The multi grade Red Line is compliant with SM but I am not specifically aware of the zinc + P levels as posted by the manufacturer (I will get that information and post it here) However, according to Charles' chart at LM Engineering the zinc level is 1004 and the p level is 924. In his notes he even stated "Redline oil also tested low for Zn and P in their newer SM formulation; according to Redline, it should be 1400 ppm Zn and 1200 ppm P." Again more questions then answers. I will also find out the temp ranges and post them as well.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57_300SL View Post
Yes I know about the decrease in zinc. The multi grade Red Line is compliant with SM but I am not specifically aware of the zinc + P levels as posted by the manufacturer (I will get that information and post it here) However, according to Charles' chart at LM Engineering the zinc level is 1004 and the p level is 924. In his notes he even stated "Redline oil also tested low for Zn and P in their newer SM formulation; according to Redline, it should be 1400 ppm Zn and 1200 ppm P." Again more questions then answers. I will also find out the temp ranges and post them as well.
Royal Purple is high in zinc, do you have that stuff?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

No we don't carry RP. We are going to be carrying Joe Gibbs. It is high in Z & P but has no detergents so it is purely for track applications.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: