Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
fenderwell thermostat trouble

Anyone ever have trouble with the thermostat mounted in the fenderwell stop working or refusing to open/bypass oil to the front cooler.
I recently have seen my oil temps skyrocket while driving the other night and could not see the reason for such a dramatic increase.
I stopped and felt the oil ines to the front Carrera cooler and they were cool. The oil tank and lines going into the thermostat were scalding.
Is there a way of checking the thermostat for function and rebuilding it?
If it is bad I know Mocal sells a replacement unit, but is there an advantage in the design of the Porsche t-stat versus the Mocal unit.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 10-04-2007, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Take it out, disassemble it, and put the thermostat potion in a pot of hot oil. It should open around 170F. If not, you need a new stat. I just changed mine due to bypass concerns, although the stat still worked.

I think the Mocal units have no pressure bypass, which is the main difference. Also, different line sizes.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Thanks for the tips.
Will do, but my real concern is getting the oil lines off the stat. Do not want ot strip threads.
If the element is bad, is it replaceable or like you said you need to buy an entire new unit?

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 10-04-2007, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Fred:
I believe the thermostat is the same as the thermostat in the engine, gut wise, that is. I personally did not see any differences between the actual thermostat mechanisms.
The removal is pretty straightforward. You should likely heat up the fittings a bit. I have found it best to have the correvt size wrenches for the job. There is a recent thread in the tech forum regarding this.
Pat
Old 10-04-2007, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

+5 on what Pat says.
I also find that a $h!tload of PB blaster helps as well. When I did my t-stat, (out of the car) I found that un screwing the t-stat was very hard until I put the actual cap in a vice and tapped the t-stat housing with a soft rubber mallet. The cap came unscrewed with ease. Dont even bother trying to unscrew the cap with the "flathead" pattern that is on there, UNLESS there is some special Porsche tool for it.
After 20 some-odd years of being in the same place, everything is reluctant to come out.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
Dont even bother trying to unscrew the cap with the "flathead" pattern that is on there, UNLESS there is some special Porsche tool for it.
After 20 some-odd years of being in the same place, everything is reluctant to come out.
anyone know if there is a tool for this? Maybe something that fits onto a breaker bar?
06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle

Last edited by AngM018; 10-05-2007 at 06:53 AM..
Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Here's the tool

Old 10-05-2007, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

now that is a scary tool to use on a Porsche.

I did some searching around online. anyone tried a Drag Link Socket?

06 Dodge Ram 2500 Power Wagon: Tow Vehicle
Old 10-05-2007, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have about 8 different sizes of the "drag link socket". The pipe wrench will get the thermostat cap off quite easily. I prefer the aluminum handled pipe wrench, personally.
Pat
Old 10-05-2007, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Can anyone confirm that the thermostat in the fenderwell unit is the same as the thermostat in the engine, this would make a great difference in being able to fix the fender well unit or buying a new one.
$129 vs $350 for new units of each type on Pelican parts site.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
How about an impact driver on the slot?

I guess the slot is only for reassembling.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 10-06-2007, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Im not sure, but I think the one on the motor is in fact completely diffrent than the fenderwell unit. I know the housing is diffrent, but am not sure about the actual t-stat element.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 10-06-2007, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Nathan, I used the impact driver to no avail, all it did was chew up the aluminum on the cap
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 10-06-2007, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I'll pull my stats apart sometime today and see if the elements are the same. I seem to recall they are. The problem with buying an engine stat for the element is that the aux stats are pretty easy to butcher up during removal.

Remember, the longer the pipe wrench, the easier it is to get loose!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngM018 View Post
now that is a scary tool to use on a Porsche.

I did some searching around online. anyone tried a Drag Link Socket?

That tool won't work because the cap slot is semi-rounded (Like a half coin cut in half). Large channel locks and a good vice to hold the housing worked for me if you can live with a couple of teeth marks on the cap.

Our host sells the thermostat insert for about $40-$50 bucks. There is no need to buy a complete new unit. If your engine mounted t-stat is bad, your engine mounted oil cooler would not be scalding hot. If the engine cooler is scalding hot after the engine is warmed up, then I suspect it is your auxillary t-stat.

I hope this helps you out.
'75 911S Silver Anniversary #164(Formerly JTO's)
Rebuilt 2.7 with full ARP, 9:1 CR.
SSI, GHL, ER polybronze bushings, finned oil lines.
Lowered and corner balanced. CIS retired, now PMOs!
'65 912 slate gray sunroof (driving project)
Old 10-06-2007, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
Nathan, I used the impact driver to no avail, all it did was chew up the aluminum on the cap
Being a plumber I have plenty of Stilsons (pipe wrenches) to choose from 8"-24"
I think there is even a pair of 36" at work somewhere.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg

Last edited by NathanUK; 10-06-2007 at 01:40 PM..
Old 10-06-2007, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

They are two different units and not interchangeable. I had to replace one in my car and the new one was defective. Tried another one and it all is well after several years. I did try to take the original apart to see if I could rebuild it. Nothing could remove the cap no matter what I tried. Heat, PB Blaster, pipe wrench, cheater bars, etc. That's why I bought another one from Pelican. The one from Mocal is cheaper, but doesn't line up with the factory oil lines IIRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
Can anyone confirm that the thermostat in the fenderwell unit is the same as the thermostat in the engine, this would make a great difference in being able to fix the fender well unit or buying a new one.
$129 vs $350 for new units of each type on Pelican parts site.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

When you strip away the housings on the two thermostats, this is the actual bulb that expands and contracts. I believe these are the same bulbs on the internal and auxiliary thermostats

Old 10-06-2007, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
This is why I love this forum, all you guys adding input makes alot of info available.
I did some more testing today, as it was 85 here in Detroit, and I think the fenderwell stat is bad. The oil temps after my drive were at 250 and the oil lines to the front cooler were cold. They were hot at the connection to the T-stat and got progressively colder about a foot away from the connection.....probably due to convection from the t-stat itself.
I will take it apart tomorrow and test the unit. I was thinking of submerging it in a pot of hot water......as it is easier to tell the temp as it boils at 212 and the t-stat should be fully open by then. I do not see a problem with using water to test it as it should not rust as long as it is dried properly and lubed after.

Fred
Old 10-06-2007, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Removed the T-stat from the fender and have it in a vice. Trying to remove the screw caps is impossible.
Have been soaking them with PB Blaster, but they are still locked solid. I have a Stilson on them and realy don't like chewing up the edges of the cap.....but still cannot come loose.
Any tricks to get these caps off?
I do not want to destroy the cast housing by really pounding on the cap, but I wonder if the previous owner ever lock tited r sealed the threads somehow which makes this thing impossible to get loose now.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: