Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Mckenna View Post
Hell.. if this nasty pic alone doesn't make you want a 930.. then something is WRONG with ya son...

DAAAAMMMMM!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

930's are squirrelly with the stock 7" & 9"rims. Almost unpredicable. First couple of times out, I had to go home and check my underwear. 9's are not enough IMHO on the rear of these cars. I would recommend 9" & 11" rims for canyon driving. Best upgrade IMHO. Go for a 930 with a locking diff. PS never sell your 7" & 9" 's.

Cheers
1999 Cobalt 23LS
2001 HD FLSTC (Carb)
Old 10-07-2007, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black968 View Post
930's are squirrelly with the stock 7" & 9"rims. Almost unpredicable. First couple of times out, I had to go home and check my underwear. 9's are not enough IMHO on the rear of these cars. I would recommend 9" & 11" rims for canyon driving. Best upgrade IMHO. Go for a 930 with a locking diff. PS never sell your 7" & 9" 's.

Cheers
I wish the PO of my 930 felt the same way. His car came with the Fuchs, then he got Speedlines and finally settled on chrome 18" BSAs. I bought the car with those chrome wheels on them and asked about the Fuchs. He said they were sold on ebay, but it shouldn't be hard to find someone to trade me a set for the 18s.
14 535i M Sport
Old 10-07-2007, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Lightbulb

I'd go for the 930 on looks alone. Owning any Porsche just isn't practical ..... and since you aren't going to be practical, you may as well do it right.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
That's a good point Maxx.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 10-08-2007, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
cluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
+1 Just getting home from a fantastic canyon run, right now. But I don't think the guys in N/A machines had any less of a good time. Thanks for another safe outing, fellow LA Pelicans.
it was great meeting you and wish more of us up for "safe, clean driving" would meet up!

marc

2005 997 S

previously:
97 Boxster
97 GTI
83 Fiat spyder
Old 10-08-2007, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

So I test drove a 930 today- and those of you that said I'd love it were absolutely right. I was going 100mph in very short order and I was amazed at how well it cornered when taking on ramps. One thing I noticed is that the gearbox was "crunching" when shifting- most severely between 1st and 2nd. The salesman in the passenger seat said you can't shift it like a modern car, going quickly from gear to gear- you need to slowly move it into gear with gentle pressure, allowing time for the gears to mesh. It seems like the '87-'89 Carreras w/G50 transmissions are going for a lot of money right now which implies it was a huge improvement. I'm wondering if this salesman was right and that you have to "slow shift" 915 transmissions- or is this a sign that there's an issue with worn synchros/expensive transmission issues? I'm being a little nitpicky with this car as they're asking $38k for an '88 930 (52k miles) at the end of the "season"- I'm expecting near concourse for that price (maybe that's unrealistic) and the salesperson has represented it as such. Any words of wisdom regarding the 'ole 915?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Have an independent porsche mechanic check it out. Used car salesman rarely to never tell the truth even if they know it...

Sounds like the synchros are worn if "crunching" means slight grinding of the selector teeth when upshifting. How is the downshifting? That makes the synchros work even harder as they try spin up the gear set before the selector teeth mesh.
Luckily mine was rebuilt around 30,000 miles before I bought it and it works perfectly, and it has a short shifter so I know how good they can be.

You should be able to shift into the next gear and let the clutch out right when the revs match perfectly smoothly with no crunch, jerk, or weirdness when upshifting if it's in good shape. True it doesn't shift as fast as a newer gearbox but it isn't slow like a big truck either.
I always match revs/double clutch on downshifts so I'm hardly using the synchros which are in good shape in mine.
It's a good thing to do for smooth driving and satisfying. If I'm going fast I heel and toe the brake pedal while blipping the gas matching revs and double clutching. Thats fun for me.

Sounds like 38,000 is too much if the car isn't perfect but a dealer is always going to ask more than it's worth and will probably come down in price if you know what you're doing.

Hope this helps and good luck with it.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Have an independent porsche mechanic check it out. Used car salesman rarely to never tell the truth even if they know it...

Sounds like the synchros are worn if "crunching" means slight grinding of the selector teeth when upshifting. How is the downshifting? That makes the synchros work even harder as they try spin up the gear set before the selector teeth mesh.

Sounds like 38,000 is too much if the car isn't perfect but a dealer is always going to ask more than it's worth and will probably come down in price if you know what you're doing.

Hope this helps and good luck with it.
Thanks for the advice- I think I'll pass on this car. Found out it's being sold on consignment so the dealer actually doesn't own it. Before I spent a few hundred on an independent ppi I had the salesman feel the owner out for price flexibility and I got the feeling he was slightly offended. My Toyota Tacoma (with a very heavy flywheel) actually shifts better than this car- so I think there may be some issues there. I think I'll hold out for a nice, earlier model that's being sold by an enthusiast- that way there'll be some $ in reserve for upgrades. It was worth the test drive, though as I learned a lot (mainly that my driving skills have a long way to go to even approximate the capabilities of the 930- when I find the right one it should keep me grinning for a long time!)
Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I use to hate the transmission on my 81 930 until I changed my shifter and coupler to Wevo and I am very happy with the way it shifts now. It's still not comparable to any new car these days.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I'm guessing that as you had the salesman in the passenger seat (and the car was warmed up) you were not abusing the tranny & therefore it does need the synchro's freshening up.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 10-10-2007, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
I'm guessing that as you had the salesman in the passenger seat (and the car was warmed up) you were not abusing the tranny & therefore it does need the synchro's freshening up.
You are correct sir. The car had been driven by the dealer for about 10minutes before he handed me the wheel. I asked him if he had been double clutching between 1st and 2nd as I could tell there was a pause when he shifted- wasn't watching his feet as I was busy holding onto the passenger holy **** handle!

Last edited by jay71; 10-10-2007 at 03:20 PM..
Old 10-10-2007, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Even 915 4 spds on 930's shouldn't CRUNCH.. maybe " bulky" when cold.. butnot crunchy. I say keep looking.
Good luck when you find the right car you'll know.
but stay with 930's..
Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

You should be able to find a excellent "needs nothing" 930 for that kind of money, perhaps even a G50 car. Wait it out and your patience will be rewarded!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

+1. that crunching is the synchros starting to go. figure about 5k for a trans swap with a mechanic doing the work... i did that about 4 years ago...

+1 on the cost too. i would expect a near perfect car for high 30's. i think mid 20's is where you should be.

my 79...
Old 10-11-2007, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I agree that shifting a 4-speed box is slow. Actually, "truck-like" is what comes to my mind. Certainly not as smooth as a modern gearbox. But it shouldn't crunch.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

if you don't like the four speed get an '89.
Just giving the heads up in case you didn't know
Old 10-11-2007, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Porsche Crest It's all about the challenge!

Hello All,

As Rory mentioned on the previous page, there are cars which are easier to drive....especially the later Porsches. But...with all the power-assist this and anti-lock that....traction control...etc, one looses touch with the road and his driving machine. I would much rather drive my car than have the car drive for me.

As far as the choice between an 80's carrera and a 930.....hands down the 930. The 80's carrera are a fantastic work horse with decent performance, but nothing matches the "challenge" offered by the 930. In addition, I believe the 930 to be the best base-car to upgrade. Big power plant...big brakes.....big suspension....flares...bullet proof trans...etc.

As far as which 930....I vote 78-79 hands down. The early 930's lacked big brakes...and an intercooler. While the later ones were heavier, and smogged-up with a CAT. The 79 and early US 930 are all non-catylist vehicles. As far as the advantage of the 89 5spd.....just change the R&P.

I've owned mine since 1999...and all I can say is....nothing else can do what a 930 can!!!

Paul
Old 10-11-2007, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Mckenna View Post
Hell.. if this nasty pic alone doesn't make you want a 930.. then something is WRONG with ya son...

That's the stealth version, right Rory?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: