Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
exhaust pipe color

Is this a normal exhaust pipe color for a turbo. Jut got done installing new GSF headers and K27s turbo and want to know if it looks lean.
This is a very light grey almost white color to the exhaust pipe and it used to be sooty brown or black with the old 3LDZ turbo and US exhaust.
Just want to know from the group if this looks lean before I burn up the pistons.
Have not made any fuel inj mods.....as I understand I do not need to but am thinking of Brian Leask adjustable WUR in the future.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 10-06-2007, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

WHta type of gas are you running??? leaded race fuel? If so, I would have mouse gray soot left over from the lead when ever I used leaded race fuel on my car.. Now, I cant use it, as I am EFI, and use a wideband O2 sensor.....

If you are not running leaded race fuel..... It might take some time to turn the sooty black color.... How much time have you had running it with the new exhaust??
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 10-06-2007, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
I am running Citgo premium 92 or 93 octane. Nothing special. I only have about 80 miles on the new install, but the color worried me. Especially since the old turbo which had leaky oil selas, had such a sooty black color.
Just wanted to get a feel if this was normal or if I had a lean problem.

thanks,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 10-06-2007, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
It is normal for the pipes to turn black under boost when the ratios dip into the low 12s or less. Proper cuising ratios (around 14) will burn grey.
The only way to be certain is to measure the A/F ratios, the pipe colors are only a rough guide.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: