Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Me like track days

They look a lot like stock - maybe they are?
Old 10-12-2007, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Porsche contracts brembo for the "Porsche" branded calipers, am I correct?
If so, He already has a brembo system. The calipers are great, keep them and change the rotors and pads.

The carbon technology is theoretically sound, as Formula 1 cars, RS Spyders, and other high-end race cars use it. Carbon-ceramic rotors weigh less and withstand heat better, but they must be at the high race track temperature or they will not work right. Cool brakes are always the enemy of F1 teams- they cause excessive wear, squeaking, and longer stopping distances, all of which has been established in this thread. The carbon has its place but that is not for autocross or tarmac rallying where brakes are not heat cycled rhythmically around a race track. If the temperature of the brakes is "low"-less than very hot- metal works better than carbon. It expands and heats quickly to accommodate dynamic temperatures and has a better initial "bite".

This is just my (long-winded) opinion, anyway

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 10-12-2007, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
They look a lot like stock - maybe they are?

Hmm, sticker, maybe!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Me like track days

That's my guess - no reason at all to change the calipers.
Hell, the pads are many times the size of a 911SC pad!

Old 10-12-2007, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

A good friend that I drive with at the track just toasted his PCCB 2 rotors on his 997 GT3. All the hype about the second generation having fixed the longevity problems appears to be BS. Its unbelievable that they are equiping GT3s with these things.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

You don't have to swap the calipers. No reason too. They are the same. Just swap the rotors out.

The wheels...ah yes you can tell a difference both in steering and acceleration. I have run them for 10K miles without a single issue. One of the best choices I made for the car yet!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschephd View Post
You don't have to swap the calipers. No reason too. They are the same. Just swap the rotors out.
And the pads? Are they the same as well or are there two types available for these calipers?

Could you re-use the stainless rotor heads of the ceramic brakes or did you buy other (aluminium) hats for the steel disks?

Thanks,
Walter
Old 10-31-2007, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Me like track days

Same pad.

(With steel rotors, I sell RS19/29 as THE best choice for track work)
Old 10-31-2007, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Here is the cure to your woes: I owned a GT2 GT700 built by Stephen and it was tracked heavily. When I first bought the car and it was bone stock, I could boil the fluid and lose most braking just by taking it to the North Georgia Mountains...I was pissed! Bob Sanderson told me to switch to SRF fluid and replace the factory pads with Pagid RS19 endurance race pads (same pads they use on Cup cars for the Daytona 24HR). The difference was night and day, the hotter the rotors got, the better it stopped and this was lap after lap at Road Atlanta braking from 160+ on the back straight into 10A. I did have to replace my rotors at about 19,000 miles...but it stopped. I would either replace with steel and use the same pad and fluid combination or just keep the PCCB's on and wear them out.

Cleve
Old 11-02-2007, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Me like track days

Yep.

My customers have had numerous problems with the 996TT brakes on the 3400 lb AWD cars, but the honker 6 piston calipers on the GT2 and GT3 = never a problem.

I still recommend some additional cooling on 996TT to go with either Motul RBF 600 or SRF if need + Pagids.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: